Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Predictions coming true

Options
  • 26-10-2018 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

There's been some stories over the last few years about star trek predicting technology well before it's time....e.g. a PADD from tng - ipad.

Does anyone think some of their other non technology predictions have a chance of happening? Like abolishing money on earth and working purely to better yourself and humanity.....watching first contact and they say this all happens within 50 years.

I'm doubtful this will happen, especially within 50 years of whatever event triggers it. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

368100 wrote: »
    There's been some stories over the last few years about star trek predicting technology well before it's time....e.g. a PADD from tng - ipad.
    Predict or inspire engineers to create?

Does anyone think some of their other non technology predictions have a chance of happening? Like abolishing money on earth and working purely to better yourself and humanity.....watching first contact and they say this all happens within 50 years.
    Money is never going away. The most likely scenario is basic needs would be free while luxuries would still cost money. But if all the basics are met there's nothing stopping anyone from pursuing their passion.

I'm doubtful this will happen, especially within 50 years of whatever event triggers it. What do you think?
    They way I look at all this stuff is in the 50's future there were moonbases and flying cars by the 90's but that never came to pass and I imagine the current hype around the singularity, simulated universe stuff, etc is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The future isn’t what it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

The future isn’t what it used to be.

Very insightful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Like abolishing money on earth and working purely to better yourself and humanity.....watching first contact and they say this all happens within 50 years. I'm doubtful this will happen, especially within 50 years of whatever event triggers it. What do you think?

Not a hope, if anything inequality is increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The ole Augmented Reality is still being worked on as far as I know.
    464754.jpg

World War 3 is still up there on the doomsday clock and we moved closer to midnight in January this year (2 Mins to Midnight currently):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock
    Yes, ST includes world war 3 :eek: Altough, it was supposed to happen a few decades ago!
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/World_War_III

The universal translator still has a few centuries lead-in time :) and Google is making progress on understanding language and the nuance:

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    Yes, ST includes world war 3 :eek: Altough, it was supposed to happen a few decades ago!
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/World_War_III
    The Eugenics Wars were in the 90's, WWIII started in 2026 so there's plenty of time. We might want to keep an eye on any military officers named Philip Green just in case.

Evade wrote: »
    WWIII started in 2026 so there's plenty of time

Phew! :D

er, i mean :eek:

Here's one - https://www.inquisitr.com/5138811/star-trek-predicts-the-future-again-as-humpbacks-fall-silent/
    In an eerie case of life imitating art, the scientific world is abuzz with news that humpback whales have stopped singing. This hits extremely close to the plot of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. In this film, the USS Enterprise finds Earth being attacked by an extremely powerful alien race, which is apparently searching for humpback whales that have gone silent in the Earth’s oceans because they’ve gone extinct.

And while the current news isn’t quite this dire, extinction could follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Headset yoke out of Voyager - VR headsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was watching an episode of Enterprise at the weekend on The Horror Channel and Trip was surprised when he met a race with more than 2 genders. Clearly this time period was forgotten by then.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was watching an episode of Enterprise at the weekend on The Horror Channel and Trip was surprised when he met a race with more than 2 genders. Clearly this time period was forgotten by then.
    Species 8472 has 5 sexes.

Evade wrote: »
    Species 8472 has 5 sexes.

They were probably fluidic :)

Slydice wrote: »
    They were probably fluidic :)

Very good :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

If we had to send a crew to get a mineral we ran out of, and they brought it back in huge quantities. Would that crew be conciderd a Star Trek crew? They wouldnt be working with money directly, as that resource would still be distributed without profit in mind.

From a biological science perspective, we only have two biological genders here; male, and female. Everything after that is a social construct.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Why what other genders are there? There is only male and Female then there is trans male or female but that is just a person changing gender. It does not mean they are a different gender just that their mind is different to their body. The mind is very complex and I for one have no problem with a person changing their gender.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Why what other genders are there? There is only male and Female then there is trans male or female but that is just a person changing gender. It does not mean they are a different gender just that their mind is different to their body. The mind is very complex and I for one have no problem with a person changing their gender.
    New York recognises 37 genders, we used to call them personality traits. Like a tomboyish girl who like sports is now demigirl gender. It's all a bit silly really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw an ad on Channel 4 recently for a documentary or something featuring members "from across the gender spectrum". So apparently there are now enough for a spectrum.
    Anyway didn't want to get into that. There are other threads in other forums about it, I'm sure. Just made me laugh with all the talk these days and Trip being surprised at someone being neither male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Tricorder capabilities are only a matter of time.
    Genuine high quality diagnostic and environmental scanning capabilities in a hand sized device.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricorder_X_Prize

Some really innovative work already undertaken.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IvySlayer wrote: »

Totally off-topic rant, but I really hate how these astronomical discoveries get co-opted by some wing-nut 'researcher' News Outlets report as legitimate. Just reading some choice quotes from the paper and it's all so couched in hypotheticals and maybes. To be fair, the paper sounds like a pure Think Piece, but sure enough journalists leap on it as Big Science News.

Anyway... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone see the story about the new plane that can fly with ion engines. About time I say. The are saying like something out of Star Trek which I don't mind but think it more like a Star Wars technology. Maybe some of the lesser species in Star Trek had ion engines and I think I remember Scotty talking about some in an episode but most Star Trek ships to me have ICS thruster's, impulse drives and then there warp drive.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,205 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyone see the story about the new plane that can fly with ion engines. About time I say. The are saying like something out of Star Trek which I don't mind but think it more like a Star Wars technology. Maybe some of the lesser species in Star Trek had ion engines and I think I remember Scotty talking about some in an episode but most Star Trek ships to me have ICS thruster's, impulse drives and then there warp drive.

Think Ion Drives were used in TOS and VOY by other species and Jem Hadar attack ships used it.

Still really cool though :)

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Ion_propulsion

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

In TNG episode Higher Ground, Data mentions the reunification of Ireland in 2024. With Brexit happening who knows what may be around the corner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

Data also once mentioned that TV didn't survive past the early 21st Century.

With the state of a lot of television...he might be far off....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,205 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Rawr wrote: »

Never know.......a lot can change..... .

Yeah probably not. TV is awesome.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

https://youtu.be/DduO1fNzV4w

Transparent Aluminium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

https://youtu.be/DduO1fNzV4w

Transparent Aluminium

Well what you know...it did they them a few years to work out the dymanics of that matix.....

..and how would we know they didn't invent the thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Rawr wrote: »

Depends what we means by television? The screen in your sitting room, short-form, episodic video stories, or the whole pre-programmed, continuity announcer, network package whole deal?

A lot of what we consider "television" is already massively disrupted by streaming services. Screens are just screens. Big ones on your sitting room wall, smaller ones in your hands, smaller ones again in your pocket. Take the TV tuner out of the big screen and it's not a TV.

The stories that used to be mostly told on TV are finding a wonderful new life on the Internet, or Streaming, or whatever you want to name it. It's not TV though, whatever we call it, TV is absolutely dying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Didn't Picard mention that people no longer got paid a wage to make themselves better, but they actually had a different outlook on life.

I suppose with beaming from one place to another, they had the ultimate beamer

Advertisement