Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why tell people to vote without endorsing a side?

Options
  • 30-10-2018 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭

As like many of you I follow various celebs, people of interest "influencers" etc from the US and they all seem to carry the message "Go out and vote" but they never say outright which side they want their followers to vote for. Why is that? Is there some law against endorsement over there or something? Don't they realise that they could be sending people out to vote for the other side?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

flazio wrote: »
    As like many of you I follow various celebs, people of interest "influencers" etc from the US and they all seem to carry the message "Go out and vote" but they never say outright which side they want their followers to vote for. Why is that? Is there some law against endorsement over there or something? Don't they realise that they could be sending people out to vote for the other side?
    People all over the world fought and are fighting for the right to vote. If a person has that right they should use it. Also more democratic result the more people who vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Extremists will always vote. Less so other people. Increasing the number of people voting results in a more balanced candidates being elected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

flazio wrote: »

I would disagree. The more people who turn out to vote, the more legitimate the result. Also, it would make for a fairer society as there would be incentives for politicians to treat all demographics equally instead of screwing over young people who are less likely to vote in favor of benefits or handouts for older voters.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement