Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maritime News Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For Isle of Man, I looked at doing a weekend there (friday out, sunday back) but the ferry timetables were not co-operative.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

odyssey06 wrote: »
    For Isle of Man, I looked at doing a weekend there (friday out, sunday back) but the ferry timetables were not co-operative.
    We were there for a week, but had to do Tuesday-Tuesday rather than, say, Saturday-Saturday for the same reason.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

So, given that it's still in Belfast, and Irish Ferries are keeping very quiet about the whole saga.

Has anyone heard what actually broke on Ulysses, and why it's taking so long to repair. It's almost like there's a conspiracy of silence about what is clearly not just a minor breakdown, presumably, somebody somewhere is working 24/7 to manufacture replacement parts in order to get it back in action, which seems slightly strange.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The port of Greenore has received a large new Liebherr mobile harbour crane for cargo operations. This little privately owned port is developing well and becoming a real success.

8adda090-843e-4d89-ad88-d8905215bb5a-original.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LunAtlFringe

So, given that it's still in Belfast, and Irish Ferries are keeping very quiet about the whole saga.

Has anyone heard what actually broke on Ulysses, and why it's taking so long to repair. It's almost like there's a conspiracy of silence about what is clearly not just a minor breakdown, presumably, somebody somewhere is working 24/7 to manufacture replacement parts in order to get it back in action, which seems slightly strange.
    Article from last week said issues with starboard CPP that turned out to be "more serious" somehow

https://afloat.ie/port-news/ferry-news/item/39857-further-disruption-as-technical-issues-force-ulysses-out-of-service-longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Lonestar1

Looks like Ulysses is underway from Belfast, (Due Dublin 02.00am Thursday)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,891 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lonestar1 wrote: »
    Looks like Ulysses is underway from Belfast, (Due Dublin 02.00am Thursday)

I see she arrived in this morning and after about 4-5 hours in Dublin headed for Holyhead and is back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

What's the story with the route/track of Pont-aven Cork to Roscoff today? - seemed to take a circular detour close to France and was 2 hours late into port. Weather related. See track on marinetraffic.com

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A ship has smashed up against the airport bridge in Osaka, Japan during Typhoon Jebi.

Dublin Port are looking abroad to buy their new pilot boat and have chosen a relatively small UK builder. This will be the first boat the company has built for an international client.

http://www.goodchildmarine.co.uk/boats/orc-171-fast-pilot-craft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Dublin Port are looking abroad to buy their new pilot boat and have chosen a relatively small UK builder. This will be the first boat the company has built for an international client.

http://www.goodchildmarine.co.uk/boats/orc-171-fast-pilot-craft

I'd rather have one of the ones yer man makes down in Cork. What's wrong with supporting our own manufacturers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'd rather have one of the ones yer man makes down in Cork. What's wrong with supporting our own manufacturers ?

I would assume that a tender was done and this chosen on cost / quality basis over the Cork option... If Cork even submitted a bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I would assume that a tender was done and this chosen on cost / quality basis over the Cork option... If Cork even submitted a bid.

Tenders seem to be the lowest cost over an acceptable minimum standard of quality, as opposed to overall best price to quality ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

No detailed article yet but looks like someone was really not paying attention here. I would say that the cargo ship, without looking at charts, or knowing the area well seems to be anchored in a peculiar area but to T Bone an anchored vessel takes some doing.

http://www.themeditelegraph.com/en/shipping/shipowners/2018/10/07/collision-between-ships-the-northern-mediterranean-sea-YcVnwYUuEcc2QuJAiwnqGO/index.html

Oh there's only one person responsible for this **** up. The officer on watch on the bridge of the Ro-Ro.

Do_OgAjXoAE_nu2-800x400.jpg

Mediterranean-Collision-800x400.jpg

Do-r30NW0AAvM2a-800x533.jpg

Do-r30QWwAA5AVr-800x533.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

As the Ro-Ro was approaching from the starboard side surely it had right of way and the container ship should have altered course. I doubt it was anchored that far off the coast, or am I missing something?

As the Ro-Ro was approaching from the starboard side surely it had right of way and the container ship should have altered course. I doubt it was anchored that far off the coast, or am I missing something?

Italian version of the report suggests that the container ship was anchored.

There is no 'get out of jail' card for this.

Rule 17, Subsection B.
    When, from any cause, the vessel required to keep her course and speed finds herself so close that collision cannot be avoided by the action of the give-way vessel alone, she shall take such action as will best aid to avoid collision.

Absolutely agreed. No get out of jail. Diabolical that they managed to T bone an anchored vessel like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There is one photo of the bow which clearly shows it anchored.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

See the DUBLIN SWIFT is in Dublin port? Any idea why?

beauf wrote: »
    See the DUBLIN SWIFT is in Dublin port? Any idea why?

Is it not finished up now? Until Spring next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've never seen it berthed there before. Is it normal to winter in Dublin Port?

Stena Line may reduce Northern Ireland services as result of Brexit
    A senior executive at ferry firm Stena Line has said that a no-deal Brexit could result in a reduction in services from Northern Ireland.

Ian Hampton told the BBC that there was possibility Stena Line would reduce services to and from the United Kingdom as a result of Brexit.

Stena Line currently travels from Belfast to Liverpool and Cairnryan in Scotland.

They carry more than seven million passengers and two million units of freight to and from the UK each year.

Mr Hampton said that Stena Line did not want to reduce services but that this "could be one of the implications".

"We can't plan on the basis of what we don't know, so we're very anxious about the outcome," he said.

He also expressed concern about the effect a no-deal Brexit could have on food supplies.

Mr Hampton said that ports were worried about the lack of clarity surrounding Brexit.

It has been suggested that a no-deal Brexit could lead to border checks and regulations on trade if a backstop agreement is not reached during the UK Government's withdrawal negotiations with the EU.

The backstop would allow Northern Ireland to remain in the EU customs union and single market in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

A government spokesman told the BBC that it was engaging with ports and that they had met with Stena Line to discuss the issues.

"It is crucial to keep trade flowing when we leave the EU," the spokesman said.

"That is why we are proposing a pragmatic and ambitious future economic relationship with the EU, and we remain committed to reaching agreement on the Withdrawal Agreement and future framework this autumn."

Belfast Telegraph Digital
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/stena-line-may-reduce-northern-ireland-services-as-result-of-brexit-37437290.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

It might also explain their decision not to upgrade Fishguard.

All over Sky today about the Isle of Wight Red Funnel ferry, ran over a few moored yachts in fog and ran aground.... Endless possibilities as to why but lucky no one injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,891 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see Dublin Swift is back up in Belfast, there since Thursday, seems a bit early for regular maintenance.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:455921/mmsi:209192000/vessel:DUBLIN%20SWIFT

Went to Larne to sit on a layby berth and was waiting for space to appear in Belfast harbour. She's not in great shape, just like the Ulysses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Just spotted this over on the Military forum. The only floating dry dock capable of use for repairs on the Russian fleets large ships and submarines sinks.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...pyard-accident

Advertisement