Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My First diy Vertical Wind Turbine

Options
  • 28-10-2018 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm starting work on building my fist vawt, as a DIY project.

I have seen this system here, I'm going to copy as much as I can:

Then, if I get handy and happy, I am going to begin upskilling to this one here:

Then, by the time I retire I will give it a go to this beauty here:

As I live in a normal residential estate, I will begin with a concept, even if made out of carbon paper on timber structure. Then, source metal and aluminium sheets and all the parts and … start learning how to weld.

I have a rotor/stator generator made out of magnets & coils and I think comes at 1kw or 2kw power but is a long way until then...I may start with a car alternator.

If anyone likes to get on board, with no commitment of financial result or any satisfaction, please be welcome.
    Any advice, constructive, please feel free.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

I know you said constructive advice. I work a lot with wind, and I wouldn't put anything like this on a domestic roof. I see VAWTs on commercial rooftops where you have massive steelwork support. You will also have an issue with frequency resonance where the vibrations from the turbine will resonate with something else.

By all means experiment with VAWT. but I would do it on a hilltop and look for a friendly farmer to co-operate with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks...I know you deal a lot so I am looking up upon your experience sharing...

I am toying at the moment as my end result is going to be a 5Kw system, like in the last video.

Here, today...
    Ground Layout , I'm planning to install in the back garden, the house layout creates a wind tunnel that is strong enough to move trees and leaves when windy. Will be installed at the boundary of 3 gardens, higher than no more 5-10meters probable and neighbours are sweet, they know me as eco green warrior and I think they will let me alone. If issues, i will ask them to cut the high trees off their garden as that blocks the wind / air ventilation in my back garden... :)

Visual, i will try to build it from plastic transparent materials and not metal...that will reduce the "eye sore" and make it invisible as much is it can be. Challenge is to get the right plastic or pvc to bend to the necessary curvature of the wind caption cup.

Vibrations, the vawt are very soft in running and if you get the right parts, minimum noise. It will be plugged in to the ground with a two poles system, which inside the ground while other higher insert inside the main base and allow some insulation/protection for noise and vibrations while allowing me to adjust the height as much as I can without creating disturbance or safety issues.

Alternator, I have found online some guys built already a rotor /stator for a proper vawt. I hope to be able to understand each other... just going to ask them for a smaller version, up to 1kw probable. It comes with the magnets and coils, all made at home and already fitted on a proper mechanical stand mechanism. I can't be bothered to play with these and encapsulating them, too much physics going on and I lack of even necessary knowledge and tools /space to build it.

Output, if works as I want it, it will be connected 24/7 to a pre-heater cylinder,180L full with water that will be installed with a 24/48v immersion heater. It will take the cold water from a low 10ish and bring up as much as possible just before the flow enters the 300l solar heated cylinder. That's the plan for winter. Summer, probable keep the greenhouse ventilated...

First steps first...im looking for a personal weather station, so that I can monitor the wind directions and the speeds.
    I guesstimate that will take me 3-6 months of study and graphs / reports.
    found few online, one very nice and pro but not delivering to EU countries yet.
    Others, are not compatible with the wireless GSM spectrum...

In meantime, found this video here that gives me "food for thought".
    More information is at the website linked at the bottom of the clip.
    http://opensourcelowtech.org/wind_turbine.html

Big picture snapshot of the mechanism that will generate electricity, all moulded and fitted in a plug and play solution.

464867.jpg

Side snapshot showing the flat moulded systems, with dual rotor magnets and stator coils.

464868.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Nice to see some experimentation.

There is a belief that vertical wind works well in built up conditions because it harnesses wind coming from all directions. That isn't quite true because the blade relies on having low pressure on one side and high pressure on the other to create "lift". Built up areas have turbulence that interferes with this. But worth trying all the same and I like their quick and easy blade construction in that video.

The vibration comes from pole changes on the generator as the magnets pass the coils. You can't help it, though you can try rubber mountings etc.

The output of this will able to feed a heater OK but you usually need some graduated PWM because a fixed resistor gives a load proportional to the square of the voltage. At lower voltages this stalls the turbine, and at higher voltages it may not be enough load. A small PLC with three stage switching via SSRs as voltage rises may work better.

Nice to see some experimentation.

There is a belief that vertical wind works well in built up conditions because it harnesses wind coming from all directions. That isn't quite true because the blade relies on having low pressure on one side and high pressure on the other to create "lift". Built up areas have turbulence that interferes with this. But worth trying all the same and I like their quick and easy blade construction in that video.

Correct … 100 % !

Please see the video below.
    That is why I want to reproduce at a lower scale the big system from last video (similar with the middle one above)
    I can guess that the speed of the system is going to be the same if I add extra cups BUT it will increase the drag force, the power to move from zero and keep rotating inertial a more powerful dual stack rotor/stator...

I can say is the ultimatum top level vawt beauty that I seen in the past 2 weeks since digging the online's underground .

Just ordered the Personal Weather Station from H E R E
    Like that is has extensive wind reports 360 degrees and 16 directions.
    Bonus for WeatherUnderground where I can store the past figures / reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Polycarbonate might be a good plastic to work with.

I'd have a look at Hugh Piggott and Paul Gipe's comments on VAWTs before going too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

Water John wrote: »
    Polycarbonate might be a good plastic to work with.

Yes, thanks… that was my first thought to use, various thickness sizes and flexibility given by the acrylic.
    I'd have a look at Hugh Piggott and Paul Gipe's comments on VAWTs before going too far.

Already reading the old Scottish man works...im not committing to anything financial until I will have a better understanding of the inside works...and the wind reports from the station. Panels works ok, tubes warming up, i will need something to keep my mind occupied with...you know better !
    dathi wrote: »

Thanks, that's 2007 terms and applies to horizontal mounted systems...mine is going to be very small, max 2meters and I wanna play with size of cups, diverters, magnets and so on. I have the PVs in the back and main challenge in fitting the turbine is to not obstruct / create shadows in the way of Sun's direct rays path...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

rolion wrote: »

Thanks, that's 2007 terms and applies to horizontal mounted systems...mine is going to be very small, max 2meters and I wanna play with size of cups, diverters, magnets and so on. I have the PVs in the back and main challenge in fitting the turbine is to not obstruct / create shadows in the way of Sun's direct rays path...

2007 was the last time the legislation was passed for domestic wind turbine and it applies whether your rotor is vertical or horizontal

• Advertisement
Advertisement