Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a bourbon.

Options
  • 25-10-2018 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Never been a whiskey drinker, as i prefer beer, but if I was going for a spirit, I prefer a nice dark rum - like the sweetness of it & someone said if I liked that I should find myself a nice bourbon as they’re similiar in profile.

Any truth to this?

If so, would you recommend one for me to try?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bulleit would be my go-to medium priced one. Cheap ones are really only suited for mixing with other strong flavours

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

I would prefer Makers Mark over Bulleit.... lovely sweet aftertaste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Buffalo Trace over the aforementioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

So is the flavour profile mostly the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Pappy van winkle :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

OU812 wrote: »
    So is the flavour profile mostly the same?

They will all taste somewhat similar. You've been recommended a huge gamut of variants though

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Southern Comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Southern Comfort

That's like recomending Bailey's as an Irish Whiskey. Was going to say it's not even made with Bourbon but apparently they've gone back to the original recipe using bourbon as the base spirit last year. It was being made with rectified spirit the last 40 years or so before that.

Haven't drank too many bourbons but I did like Makers Mark when I tried it. Mostly just sampled in Manhattan's or Old Fashions back when I worked in bars. Cocktail training was good fun back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Woodford Reserve is very accessible.

And I did have some fun recently when the Mrs. asked me what I wanted back from Duty Free. Hoping she'd have to ask for assistance finding it, I told her Knob Creek.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Woodford Reserve is very accessible.

And I did have some fun recently when the Mrs. asked me what I wanted back from Duty Free. Hoping she'd have to ask for assistance finding it, I told her Knob Creek.

and a cock burn port :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement