Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worthwhile whiskey to bring back from the US?

• 25-10-2018 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Popping over and back soon, and wondered if there might be any whiskey I should watch out for in the duty free on the way back?
    Looks like I only get 1L allowance, so I want to make it half decent. Scotch whisky didn't seem particularly reasonable in US duty free from a price perspective the last time I was there. I wondered what folks here would typically grab on the homeward leg?
    I'm also assuming I can't buy on the outbound and bring that home too...

Thanks
    -Fm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Last time i bought Glenfiddich 18yo and Crown Royal XO. both way cheaper than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I bought Redbreast 12 Cask strength on the way over (Dublin to US leg), for around €60, but not sure that it'll be available if you're only travelling back. Keep an eye out.

Travelling back, I've found that there's better value in a good bourbon, like a small batch or aged bourbon. Buy the RedBreast when you're heading back again!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Thanks - heading from irl to US and back within just a couple of days of each other. Will keep an eye out on the bourbon on the way back (or a rare bargain on scotch like a Macallan at half price or something!
    I gather I can't buy on way out and bring that back in the case too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Thanks - heading from irl to US and back within just a couple of days of each other. Will keep an eye out on the bourbon on the way back (or a rare bargain on scotch like a Macallan at half price or something!
    I gather I can't buy on way out and bring that back in the case too...

You'll be over the allowance if you buy both ways, unless they're half bottles basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd look for some interesting looking rye whiskey.
    It's hard enough to find ryes here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement