Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roman Reigns reveals he's battling Leukemia

Options
  • 23-10-2018 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭

Reigns just announced on Raw he's been battling the disease and is relinquishing the Title.

Shocking news. All the very best to him at this tough time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah very shocking and really hope he beats it and returns better than ever a brand new man

Never knw he had it before and it's was kept very secret. Very proud to shake he hand 5 years ago when the Shield done the meet and greet in smyths

Roman big dog Reigns is a character we all wish Joe the best of luck

Shocking that a man so fit can still get a disease as strong as cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Shocking that a man so fit can still get a disease as strong as cancer

Shows that cancer is the real heel.

Seth and Dean coming out broke me, wish Joe and his family and friends nothing but the best and I can't wait for when he returns better and stronger than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The pop when he returns will be monstrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,413 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

OMG, hope he beats it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Treatment for the likes of leukaemia and lymphoma has improved massively in recent yrs.

Depends on his exact diagnosis of course but I reckon he'll get through it and be back as good as ever.

Best of luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

He looked very pale and utterly exhausted. Can only imagine how emotionally shattering it is to hear the words "your leukaemia is back".

Hope he kicks its ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Hopefully Roman knew the warning signs and got himself seen too quickly. Can't say enough how much I hope the man can get through this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

If he's been living with it for 11 years and it's now back, likely it's pretty serious. All the best to him and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hearing the world champion say he has leukemia is one of the most surreal things I can recall, it give you such a reality check looking at highlights the next morning. You can only wish for him to make a full recovery as cancer treatment is a tough thing for anyone & their families to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jesus Christ just watching this this morning. Seth crying set me off. Poor Joe. Hope he hammers it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Such a horrible thing cancer is.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Utterly shocked.

Was nearly in tears, especially when Ambrose and Rollins came out and Rollins was bawling.

God fordbid, if he doesn't come back, then this is literally the end of an era. Like him or love him, Reigns was THE guy in WWE for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hopefully he caught it early. Whatever peoples gripes about wwe they do look after the health of their athletes. I'd say his return pop will be off the charts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Incredibly shocking and sad. I always check Raw results first thing on a Tuesday morning. Had to try hard to stifle back tears when Roman broke the news. Never mind when Dean & Seth appeared on the ramp. Wife & Kids were in the sitting room, didn't want to have to try and explain why daddy was sobbing in the kitchen!

Anyhow, not a fan of the push, but have huge admiration for the man. Always been a good hand in the ring, when he was allowed to talk for himself, he could. Wish him nothing but the very best. Hope to see him back as strong as ever.

**** Cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i always just wake up on Tuesday and look at youtube for whats happened on raw saw the video and just couldn't believe what i saw just so shocking. i never heard of his previous battle at all. best of luck to him all i could say.

you can actually see the shock in everyones face in this

https://youtu.be/ig5gFxn1sPc

• Registered Users Posts: 37,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Take whatever time is needed and when he feels right comes back

It's was so private that it's hard to knw if we here much about the hopeful recovery but be very nice to hear over the next few weeks/months that it's all going well. Best of luck to him

I think he mentioned in the Shield special that aired a few years back he was pretty sick for a while a few years prior ???

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well I have to say I was very shocked to read it this morning. I very rarely watch raw live now but do keep up with anything of any note. This was not what I was expecting in ANY way. I really wish him the best and hope he does what he said in his promo and beats it and comes back.

I think it's very important to separate the dislike of a character or how that character is booked from the actual person behind the character. WWE superstars are portrayed as superhuman at times when in reality they are just like anybody else. Btw obviously cancer is a dirty stinking prick of a disease and I know and knew of people who had it and you wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,376 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Poor guy he had it 11 years which probably ended his Football career and now it could end his wrestling career.

I just hope he can get rid of it and well enough to watch his kids grow old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

As someone who is hopefully now on the right side of a relapsed blood cancer (lymphoma) after very difficult treatment last month, I can say that secondary treatment is a lot more intense and complicated and the recovery time is a lot longer so I really wish him the best and hope he gets through what will be a long and tough battle.

Really was so sad for him yesterday knowing what it's like.

He's young and the same age as me which was one of the best things going for me with secondary treatment so hopefully he'll be strong and knock it out of the park and thankfully he's with a company that will no doubt support him.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well I have to say I was very shocked to read it this morning. I very rarely watch raw live now but do keep up with anything of any note. This was not what I was expecting in ANY way. I really wish him the best and hope he does what he said in his promo and beats it and comes back.

I think it's very important to separate the dislike of a character or how that character is booked from the actual person behind the character. WWE superstars are portrayed as superhuman at times when in reality they are just like anybody else. Btw obviously cancer is a dirty stinking prick of a disease and I know and knew of people who had it and you wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would wish this on him. I think the crowd reactions said it all really. Lukewarm reaction to when his music hit, then he was getting booed (somewhat) when he opened but once he mentioned he had leukaemia the place went silent, and all of a sudden the crowd are supporting him and wishing him well. Taking their wrestling fan hat off and putting on their human ones.

Was very shocked to read it this morning. Hope he can recover again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Faugheen wrote: »
    I don't think anyone in their right mind would wish this on him. I think the crowd reactions said it all really. Lukewarm reaction to when his music hit, then he was getting booed (somewhat) when he opened but once he mentioned he had leukaemia the place went silent, and all of a sudden the crowd are supporting him and wishing him well. Taking their wrestling fan hat off and putting on their human ones.

There was one absolute d!ckhead in the crowd shouting "you deserve it" at him. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,134 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i hope he destroys it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Faugheen wrote: »

There was one absolute d!ckhead in the crowd shouting "you deserve it" at him. :mad:

Yeah I know. I'd like to think people around him called it out for what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't believe that. Is there footage?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,376 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don't believe that. Is there footage?

There will always be some who think it's an angle and Vince is trying one more thing to get him over.

It's not however there will always people who don't believe what Vince puts on TV.

Also there are some people who just aren't nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Didn't hear the guy chant that, but did see the guy on the ramp shouting at Roman to sign some crap for him. Idiot.
    The support he will get from the majority of fans will overshadow this kind of nonsense. Hope he beats the snot out of the cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I didn't hear that but I did hear one cockwomble doing the WHAT? thing. Ignorant fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Hats off to him for coming out to the public with it after keeping it very close to his chest for the last number of years. He's doing it for awareness he mentioned. I'd imagine he's going to be a very powerful role model and inspiration for a lot of other kids / people struggling with their own battles. I wasn't ever really a fan of the character but by God the man can work and it was honestly heart-breaking to hear that last night. Fingers crossed he kicks its ass and gets back to where he belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

im actually amazed that this hasnt got out before that he battled it before same with zach ryder battling cancer when he was young which i dont think was well known till he said it in the mania doc on the network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

As someone who is hopefully now on the right side of a relapsed blood cancer (lymphoma) after very difficult treatment last month, I can say that secondary treatment is a lot more intense and complicated and the recovery time is a lot longer so I really wish him the best and hope he gets through what will be a long and tough battle.

Really was so sad for him yesterday knowing what it's like.

He's young and the same age as me which was one of the best things going for me with secondary treatment so hopefully he'll be strong and knock it out of the park and thankfully he's with a company that will no doubt support him.

Hopefully you knock it out of the park as well my man. Don't ever let that cu*t of a disease beat you.

Advertisement