Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lowest Temperature Ireland could have achieved

• 20-10-2018 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Firstly moderators not sure where to post this question so please do what you want with it.
    It possibly a little childish of a question but interested to hear your thoughts and reasonings.Thanks.

My question is what would the lowest temperature possible Ireland could have got to ever, this includes the last Ice age.

Second part

Whats the lowest temperature Ireland could ever get to now? -19 I believe has been recorded in Sligo. Is it conceivable we could get into the -20s In winters to come?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

If the Gulf Stream slows down, then below -19°C is possible. The Gulf Stream helps keep Europe ice-free throughout the Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Ice age temperatures could have been a lot lower since much of Ireland and Britain were covered with ice and sea level dropped considerably with the northern parts of the Atlantic frozen over. Something like -30 C would not be an unreasonable guess. Even -35 C is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Ireland has the lowest "highest ever temperature" of any European country and the highest "Lowest ever temperature" also! Interesting fact

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I thought Iceland beat us on that. I think we have the second lowest highest temperature ever recorded worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Ah icelands not in Europe ;) but your right, their highest ever temp was 31 or something...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ah icelands not in Europe ;)

Half of it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

we are in a halfth place so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Ireland has the lowest "highest ever temperature" of any European country and the highest "Lowest ever temperature" also! Interesting fact

And also strange is the fact that the most northerly point in Ireland is in the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Ah icelands not in Europe ;)

Yes, it is:
    Europe_orthographic_Caucasus_Urals_boundary_%28with_borders%29.svg

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

And also strange is the fact that the most northerly point in Ireland is in the South.
    Took me a second to figure this out.

Non-politically, the most westerly point of Ireland is in the south while the most easterly point is in the north.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

How is that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

goat2 wrote: »
    How is that

South as in the Republic of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

This thread just gave me a headache

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That actually hurt me to figure out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

If the Gulf Stream slows down, then below -19°C is possible. The Gulf Stream helps keep Europe ice-free throughout the Winter.

Dublin sits at 53 degrees North, same as Edmonton in Canada which has got as low as -49c and parts of southern Alaska.

So yes if Gulf Stream did slow we would have extremely cold winters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

realistically speaking, what are the chances of the jetstream slowing down / what would actually cause it to slow down?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

realistically speaking, what are the chances of the jetstream slowing down / what would actually cause it to slow down?

Gulf stream or jet stream?

If Gulf stream, as far as I am aware, there is evidence it is slowing down. Increased melt waters from arctic and Greenland glaciers will slow it down and dilute/reduce salinity of the ocean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Perhaps the only real chance within the next 50/100yrs or so would be in the event of WW3.

i.e. If just a portion of the two superpowers stockpile went hot, the earth would go quickly into a cool nuc-winter. Whereby global tempurates could drop by 10oC.

A {super}volanic eruption might do something slightly similar, but there hasn't been one of those for a fair while. A large asteriod landing would also mean an extra coat or two for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'm pretty sure it dropped below -20C in places like Baltinglass during the Dec 2010 cold spell. Similar temps recorded in Ballinrobe down West during the Dec 2001 cold spell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Incorrect, its the prevailing westerly. If we had constant easterly winds from November to March, our winters would be much more severe. In fact, during the 2010 freeze, the liffey started to freeze over during the final days of that spell. Another week or two and I'd say Dublin bay would start to freeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

arctictree wrote: »
    Incorrect, its the prevailing westerly. If we had constant easterly winds from November to March, our winters would be much more severe. In fact, during the 2010 freeze, the liffey started to freeze over during the final days of that spell. Another week or two and I'd say Dublin bay would start to freeze.

But if there was no gulf stream, would the westerly winds not be much colder than at present, due to the fact that the ocean at our latitude would be a lot colder?

Advertisement