Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Whiskey Auctions

Options
  • 22-10-2018 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

So, did anyone get anything good? I got outbid on a few bottles but still managed to get some!!
    Also, is anyone having trouble making payment, 2 bottle on my list i can pay for but the rest wont even give me the option!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

FlicFlak wrote: »
    So, did anyone get anything good? I got outbid on a few bottles but still managed to get some!!
    Also, is anyone having trouble making payment, 2 bottle on my list i can pay for but the rest wont even give me the option!

Where was the auction?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭FlicFlak

gozunda wrote: »
    Where was the auction?

was online, www.irishwhiskeyauctions.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I was outbid on the MVR set

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Never even knew it existed, fantastic!

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

mikeecho wrote: »
    I was outbid on the MVR set

What did it go for in the end

• Advertisement

sea12 wrote: »
    What did it go for in the end

Just north of 36k.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Was a 2016 MVR bottle gone for €175, can buy them online for £135ish in UK.

Plus the buyer is paying 10% commission on the €175, plus postage. Pricey

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Was a 2016 MVR bottle gone for €175, can buy them online for £135ish in UK.

Plus the buyer is paying 10% commission on the €175, plus postage. Pricey

What price does that end up at by the time its on the table in Ireland?

I know 135 pounds is about 152 euro but what are the extras?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cost of a set of flights. No legitimate way to take it in by post/courier although people generally get away with it.

L1011 wrote: »
    Cost of a set of flights. No legitimate way to take it in by post/courier although people generally get away with it.

Surely you jest?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Surely you jest?

No. You cannot pay the duty on alcohol brought in by post from within then customs union unless you have a Revenue licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I've got free postage to a friend in Belfast and he brings it down when ever he is down

Think postage to Ireland was €20 so 155 is almost 175 on the nose, but still less than the example of buying it at IWA.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

CardinalJ wrote: »
    I've got free postage to a friend in Belfast and he brings it down when ever he is down

Think postage to Ireland was €20 so 155 is almost 175 on the nose, but still less than the example of buying it at IWA.

Shops in Dublin are looking €350 for the same year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Just north of 36k.

Sweet Jesus. Utter madness for what is surely the most over-hyped whiskey for sale today. A pure marketing scam and the amount of people who believe it's the "pinnacle of Irish whiskey" is mind numbing.

Wailin wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus. Utter madness for what is surely the most over-hyped whiskey for sale today. A pure marketing scam and the amount of people who believe it's the "pinnacle of Irish whiskey" is mind numbing.

There was a 50cl bottle of Japanese "Karuizawa" whiskey went for just over 100k pounds in an auction to raise funds to battle plastic pollution before Christmas.

Bidding started at a fiver and by the end of the first day it was up over 50 grand.

One guy bid 100,000 pounds in the last minute and was outbid by 100 pounds.

Advertisement