Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Christmas Debate - #7 Where Are You Spending Christmas This Year

• 22-10-2018 9:58am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is more of an internal Christmas Debate... which many face each year :pac: and we are running low on ideas to debate about :pac:

Where will you be spending Christmas this year, your own house, your parents, your partners house/parents house or somewhere else entirely.

I know people call into many places on Christmas Day so vote for the option where you will be spending the most amount of time in. :)

Where Are You Spending Christmas This Year? 50 votes

Your Place
    0%
    Your Parents
    52%
    big sykejordataLord Spenceronan.hSnoddyDavyD_83WhisperedDeedsieLeilakbeertonshairyprincessyellowlabradorshelly22Cork LassPostgrad10jellybearI carried a watermelonLoughcThe Princess BrideSarahLil 26 votes
    Your OH place/parents place
    36%
    omb0wyn5ehpij9miameezzxxsamborakitten_kwhat the hell!otnomartemmaginationRedzer7joebloggs123TG1KajemofreshpopcornOldMrBrennan83tickingclockgreenttccinnamonyCaranica 18 votes
    Somewhere else
    12%
    sunny2004baby and crumbleDvBToto WolfcastleMeauldsegosha[Deleted User] 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I always spend Christmas at home in my parents - can't beat mammy's dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Your Parents
    I think 'where you spend Christmas' is really defined by where you have dinner.
    We'll be at home, which we've tried to do since kids came along. Both sets of parents are nearby; in laws coming for dinner, not sure about my own yet. If both are, then we won't move from the house for the day. Otherwise there'll be a visit on the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jude13

I voted somewhere else as I will be abroad as per usual. It would have been 'our place' but we are going to a hotel brunch for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Back at home in my mums. I've never spent a Christmas away from home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Your Parents
    We will be at home! Once the roof went on, I said we were never spending another Christmas somewhere else. Not sure what we will do visiting wise this year as my parents normally come to us but aren't this year. We live next door to the outlaws so no avoiding them at some point during the day :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Your Parents
    I voted for my place, we tend to alternate between my place (we cook) and my parents place.

Fingers crossed if we're moved into the new house we will be spending our first Christmas in our new house, if not we'll be going to my parents and have the luxury of having the dinner cooked for us... win win haha. :D

Somewhere else
    We alternate between my parents and himselfs parents. This year we're in his parents for Christmas. Both families have their own different traditions and ways of playing out the day so it's nice to switch it up. We'll be in my parents then on Stephens days with all my brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Your Parents
    Since we got married last year we have started a new tradition of Christmas in our home. Up until then we used to go to have dinner in our family homes. I cook for both of us now and then he drops me to my home house after dinner and he heads home for a bit before coming to my family home that evening. Luckily, all houses are within 30 minutes of each other :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Somewhere else
    My family lives about 3 hours away and my in-laws live about 30 minutes away so we alternate. This year we're with the in-laws. It would be nice to have Christmas in our own house at some point but it's unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,132 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Posy invited me over this year. So, Posy's house.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We kinda have done an equal amount of time across 3 places - we have Christmas morning in our own place, see what Santa's brought and then have brekkie. We head down to my parents at about 1pm, then we do more presents there and have dinner. After dinner we go to my husband's family; it's his sister's birthday on Christmas day, so we've gone to her house in the evenings for the last few years, but she's moved further away this year so I'm not sure what way it'll work this year.

I'd dearly love to have a house (we currently live in a very small apartment) because if we had somewhere bigger, I'd love to do Christmas dinner myself, and then I'd invite my parents and sisters to have dinner with us if they wanted. I'd have a lot of work, because my Mum does an amazing Christmas dinner, so the bar has been set very high!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Your Parents
    We will be at home this year our 3rd year cooking, our 2nd year cooking in our own home my mam will come to us for a couple of days arriving Christmas Eve
    I have discussed having his folks over plus his 2 sisters but they are very last minute so who knows, I know we will have plenty anyway if they do come and his mam and dad wouldn't come empty handed
    If they don't come to us we will all pop down to them at some stage early afternoon they are only about 5 minutes drive from us, I will go the grave yard too then get back to the house and probably get into my Christmas pjs for the rest of the day eat drink and be Merry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

I was going to spend it abroad but my parents would be heartbroken so I decided to spend it with them as usual. Part of the reason they'd be heartbroken is so they can mooch off me though :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Your Parents
    cinnamony wrote: »
    I was going to spend it abroad but my parents would be heartbroken so I decided to spend it with them as usual. Part of the reason they'd be heartbroken is so they can mooch off me though :pac:

I don't think I could ever spend a Christmas abroad it just doesn't do it for me, even the idea of spending Christmas in a hotel isn't great. Christmas to me is all about being in a familiar surrounding with your loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Your Parents
    I voted for our own place. Since having our boy I like to have our own little cosy Christmas. My folks live close so will likely call up in the morning for an hour, see what santa brought them :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Your Parents
    I voted home, as I'd love to have no one over and just be on our own for the day. But the woman doesn't want to cook this year, so we will head to my parents for the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Your Parents
    Going to host dinner this year. First Christmas without my mother here so will be strange not to go down to her house and have dinner there or even just go down over the Christmas period - she loved Christmas.

My dad will come down from his house and the OH mother and sister hopefully come along too along with our own two kids. Very excited as the youngest is now 3 and half so getting excited!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,097 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Somewhere else
    Last year we hosted & everyone came to us, this year we're going to my in-laws house. We tend to alternate between our own, my sisters & my in-laws and after last year there was no way we were doing 2 in a row, the workload was huge.
    Luckily we were invited to both this year but on the basis we havent gone to the in-laws for 3 years we thought it only fair that my wife got to spend the day with her family in their house for a change.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Hopefully in our house for Christmas morning, do the Santy thing, head to my mam's for dinner then home again for the evening.
    Last year was madness, we were home for Christmas morning, in my mams for dinner then his parents for Christmas night and Stephens day dinner. then back to my mams again.
    NOT doing that again this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭claregal1

My sister and her husband and 4 kids are coming home from Australia this Christmas , first Christmas they have been home in 8 years so there will be 30 of us including grand-kids going to another sisters house for Christmas lunch . The sister who is hosting lunch also works in catering so the plan is to have a marquee with heating etc in her back garden to accommodate us all . Super excited !

Normally I would do lunch in my house for myself and my 3 kids and then go to my Mam's Christmas night for the soaps .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^30 people for Christmas lunch, not that host needs a big Christmas present. Along with the Marque you'd need so much planning and porta loos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I go to my parents. The Mrs is welcome too but I leave that up to herself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Poll is over but mine is a three way split. Christmas morning at home. Do the Santa presents, breakfast and play for a bit. Then my parents call up so S can show them what he got. After we go for a walk and back to theirs for dinner. In the evening we go to my grandmother's where lots of extended family congregate.

It's a rerun of my childhood Christmases where we went to my grandmother's in the afternoon and my great grandparents' in the evening. Though tbh, my great grandparents threw a better party.

Your Parents
    Thank you for everyone who took part in all of our debates and who voted they were great craic, the sweets one in particular was my favourite, it swung back and forth throughout the week.

Obviously with the bank holiday on Monday just gone we took the week off and starting next week we will start something slightly different! :)

Advertisement