Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many of the televised club matches are good to watch?

Options
  • 21-10-2018 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

I’m come to the conclusion over time that for all the talk about how great the club game is. The actual matches are not very entertaining when watched on TV. Some of them are but most are actually quite turgid and it’s hard to watch a club game on tv when used to the better standard of watching county games.

What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I kind of agree with you but I think the time of the year they're played doesn't help.

Gaelic games are not suited to heavy ground and this takes away from the spectical somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just accept that club football will not be as good as county. It really is that simple.

I watch plenty of club football - was at the Junior & Intermediate club finals in Roscommon today - and I'm not expecting anyone to root up any trees or anything. I just go and see how the games play out and don't feel the need to comment on the standard like so many so-called 'experts'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'm not too interested in standard and more in entertainment. Like all sports at all levels, some games will entertain and some won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

megadodge wrote: »
    Just accept that club football will not be as good as county. It really is that simple.

I watch plenty of club football - was at the Junior & Intermediate club finals in Roscommon today - and I'm not expecting anyone to root up any trees or anything. I just go and see how the games play out and don't feel the need to comment on the standard like so many so-called 'experts'.

Except a lot of observers and pundits disparage the county game as unwatchable and laud the club game as superior entertainment....bollocks as far as I’m concerned.

I kind of agree with you but I think the time of the year they're played doesn't help.

Gaelic games are not suited to heavy ground and this takes away from the spectical somewhat.

I’d totally agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭megadodge

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Except a lot of observers and pundits disparage the county game as unwatchable and laud the club game as superior entertainment....bollocks as far as I’m concerned.

I'm afraid I've never heard them laud ANY Gaelic football.

Relentless negativity is the order of the day by Gaelic football analysts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Who exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They laud the club game as an institution rather than the quality of the play.

They laud the fact thhat team A won by a point, 6 to 5, and that it was team As first final win in x yeras and that the two goalkeepers are brothers in law.

It's on TG4 cos it's cheap, it's niche like TG4 itself, and a good filler on autumn and winter Sunday's.
    The alternative is Little House on the Pararie

Who exactly?

Wooly Parkinson in particular says the club game should be getting far more tv and radio coverage. Joe brolly used to laud slaughtneil which is fine. I don’t read his stuff but I’d be surprised if he didn’t make comparisons to the county game which he pretty much fires shots at every week.

Might be others.

I get what people are saying maybe it’s what the club game means but I don’t think it’s said that much that the games can be a slog to watch.

I really enjoy watching club games but Parkinson completely overblows how much the general public on the whole would watch them.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    I really enjoy watching club games but Parkinson completely overblows how much the general public on the whole would watch them.

The most important thing for wooly is that wooly strongly agrees that wooly is correct.

The most important thing for wooly is that wooly strongly agrees that wooly is correct.

Ah he's not the worst. I just couldn't see any more than a couple of hundred people watching a GAA Saturday type thing for clubs. Do many people care what's happening in numerous other counties?

Patww79 wrote: »

Ah he's not the worst. I just couldn't see any more than a couple of hundred people watching a GAA Saturday type thing for clubs. Do many people care what's happening in numerous other counties?

Wooly can. He’s convinced of it.

He’s a good broadcaster but I do find his complete conviction in his own opinions, many of which are stupid or wrong, to be humorous. If I was a county manager whose tactics were being criticized by him I’d go nuts as he hasn’t ever coached so ultimately his tactical ideas are completely unproven.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Where are you living?! Gaa grounds have never been as dry this time of the year!!!

Advertisement