Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonnen Energy - Irish Community

Options
  • 20-10-2018 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello PVs,

I am really looking in to getting a Sonnen battery system.
    Read about possibility of creating a sort of local or national community and "share" electricity across members with Pvs and Sonnen.
    Not sure how that works...but more than likely looks interesting now with the PV grant near ready to start !!!

What is the sonnenCommunity?

The sonnenCommunity is a community of sonnenBatterie owners who are committed to a cleaner and fairer energy future. In Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy it is already possible to become a member of the sonnenCommunity. As a member you can share your self-produced energy with other members of the sonnenCommunity. Since you are exclusively using energy from the community, there is no need for a conventional energy provider anymore.

More info on their website H E R E

...or...

youtube below:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

It sounds like some sort of F.I.T. - effectively a co-op F.I.T. where members share the benefits. Technically possible I guess if you/they can set up that kind of energy provider here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

So,is not a technical solution but rather a financial / legal / revenue registered company,simillar with what's happening with virtual mobile carriers using traditional carrier's physical networks !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

rolion wrote: »
    So,is not a technical solution but rather a financial / legal / revenue registered company,simillar with what's happening with virtual mobile carriers using traditional carrier's physical networks !?

In the absence of more information we can only guess but cost-wise it can only be done in a virtual sense where people get credit for what they feed to the network. A physical connection between participants would be economically impossible.

Its a bit like saying that if you're an Airtricity customer, you're getting 100% green electricity. You are buying it but are you getting it? Probably some nuclear from the UK via the interconnector.... So your contribution as a customer means that you fund 100% green electricity matching your consumption but you feed from the grid....

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Technically possible I guess if you/they can set up that kind of energy provider here

Aye. Only possible if you set yourself up as a utility company.
    I am really looking in to getting a Sonnen battery system.

Before you want us all to buy into the idea of sharing our PV production with each other via your "Sonnen Energy" Irish community, would you do us the courtesy of giving us an idea of how much a basic "Sonnen Energy" install would cost us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

@unkel
    Please stop chasing me in the virtual space with this fcuking Sonnen cost query...im not a dealer or a sales rep !
    I am looking at all options... and please be more constructive again, please.
    One of the options that you highly advocate is an EV which I never took in consideration but never ever thought to challenge you.
    Peace and enjoy the Sunday... )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The basic idea is that you get hundreds or thousands of batteries to operate together.

This would be accounted for through the smart meter. Exports and imports for the community as a whole for a given half hour would be netted off. (This would be based on smart meter readings. So if the community members exported a total of 800 kWh and imported 1000 kWh in the half hour then the net import (that is, the amount the community needs to buy from other generators) would be 200 kWh. The community would then have its own internal rules for how the 800 kWh was priced.

That is a simple version of it of course. The community would also have to decide whether to take in electricity from outside sources to store it in batteries.

But really the benefit of this system would be to provide ‘balancing services’ to the grid, to take electricity at short notice when it is cheap or negatively priced and store it, then release it when it is needed urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Those PV and battery sharing systems are quite well spread in the Netherlands, albeit on a micro level (think a local street or estate)

Nice idea and all, but it doesn't scale well. It would be far better if existing utility companies stepped up and started using excess PV production and pay people for it (with or without grid attached batteries). We need homes to have export / smart meters and we need differential tariffs say like between 1c and EUR1 per kWh depending on demand on the grid
    @unkel
    Please stop chasing me in the virtual space with this fcuking Sonnen cost

And you are calling me non-constructive? :p

If you'd just answer a simple question, it would help people in here get an idea of costs involved in various ways of getting greener. Money does matter. Telling people about this great new system (that costs far more than people can afford - does it?) is not helping anyone

One of the arguments I make (supported by spreadsheets with proper calculations - not some mickey mouse assumptions that are not achievable) for an EV is that for me it was cheaper to buy a brand new EV than to keep driving my old banger. Now that is something that people can use. And hopefully because of it, someone has dumped their diesel and bought an EV, and is actually saving money (and the environment)

Advertisement