Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,284 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

After, tomorrow’s paper, saw it on Twitter. Won’t let me link on mobile.
    That poll was done between 5 and 16th October I think? If Sunday times one So not up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 67,337 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

rovertom wrote: »
    Its pretty simple. There having been frequent comments here stating that surely people are not going to vote for a president based on a single comment re travellers. Im agreeing with this. Some will vote for him based on his traveller views alone while other will agree but require more than that from the president.
    With 20 percent, the people will have spoken and Im damn sure it will result in a new political party being formed in the near future.

I have no doubt there are keyboard warriors chawing at the bit to form a party to...eh....chaw some more.
    Do you think a man who runs from what he said is an appropriate leader or is there anyone else willing to lead this party?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why in the name of God are RTE not reporting that there is a question mark about this?
    They would go after any indiscretion that might be on the side of Peter Casey.
    They are unbelievable sometimes.

Get out and tell your friends and family vote for Peter Casey.
    This is the opportunity to send a message because if his campaign gets nobbled, notes will be taken, changes made to make sure this is not allowed to happen gain

Pay for RTE or you go to jail

Why in the name of God are RTE not reporting that there is a question mark about this?
    They would go after any indiscretion that might be on the side of Peter Casey.
    They are unbelievable sometimes.

Get out and tell your friends and family vote for Peter Casey.
    This is the opportunity to send a message because if his campaign gets nobbled, notes will be taken, changes made to make sure this is not allowed to happen gain

Did you actually read the story?
    The quote from psni
    'It is the long-established policy of the PSNI not to comment on the security arrangements made for individuals'

The rest are comments by liadh ní riada.....

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

gmisk wrote: »
    That poll was done between 5 and 16th October I think? If Sunday times one So not up to date

Why isn't there an up to date poll, are the media been coerced into not doing a poll as the result may cause tension ? V fishy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

So you retract your

Nah mate present it anyway you want
    You are positive sure now that a family that have lived for 50 years, apparently happily, on a site that suits their lifestyle, will suddenly turn rogue and intomidate people moving into houses that were 'no good to them'?

The houses were no good to them because they didn't come with stabling for 2 horses and a half acre of graving land, I don't see them saying sound let someone have them. Fair play if you think they will. I don't share your naivety.
    Is there any point asking for proof of what you are basing this on?

No point really, since you refuse to offer proof of Casey's incitement to hatred why should you expect someone to offer you proof of any thing you ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

The quote from psni
    'It is the long-established policy of the PSNI not to comment on the security arrangements made for individuals'

I did yeah, read the fourth paragraph on the examiner link - they make full provisions for visiting heads of state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

The quote from psni

The examiner name him as Assistant chief constable Alan Todd
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/psni-dispute-president-higgins-security-claims-for-belfast-trip-877108.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lesliescott586

Surprised there’s not a new poll out given the height of public interest now. Does one of the papers not want to take advantage of this?!

I can see this thread being closed in the week leading up to the election.
    Not for anything sinister, but because this site is owned by the owners of journal.ie and this thread is not on song with that mind set.

• Advertisement

I can see this thread being closed in the week leading up to the election.
    Not for anything sinister, but because this site is owned by the owners of journal.ie and this thread is not on song with that mind set.
    Where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

"The PSNI routinely work with visiting heads of state and other key figures visiting Northern Ireland and make full provisions for their safety in line with their requirements.”

OK that is quote from him.... That doesn't in anyway say Michael D wasn't telling the truth... So yeah to me that whole story is BS.

It's a non issue for me personally, I would be embarrassed to have someone like that eejit casey as president of Ireland he is a bloody shambles.

I do think casey has a point when it comes to travellers etc though, and at least it has brought the topic up

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Nah mate present it anyway you want

The houses were no good to them because they didn't come with stabling for 2 horses and a half acre of graving land, I don't see them saying sound let someone have them. Fair play if you think they will. I don't share your naivety.

No point really, since you refuse to offer proof of Casey's incitement to hatred why should you expect someone to offer you proof of any thing you ask for?

The family have said give the houses to others because they are no good to us.

Macdarack wrote: »
    Why isn't there an up to date poll, are the media been coerced into not doing a poll as the result may cause tension ? V fishy.
    I am sure there will be a few more before the election. It takes time and they are generally not cheap if extensive, a lot of people think a Michael D win is also a foregone conclusion so probably don't want to waste the dough.

He gives the official PSNI statement, which is basically 'No comment;.

Anything else around this 'story' is coming from unnamed sources within the PSNI.

And we don't even know who made the 'assessment', the Irish or the PSNI

• Registered Users Posts: 30,348 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

44385759_10212225994476822_8456922268046458880_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=59f36e9f96b3ba4d10b43290ecf74818&oe=5C5608E7

The family have said give the houses to others because they are no good to us.

They are also record as saying they were promised stables and land for the horses . Peter McCarthy quoted in the Irish Examiner. Then when this blew up they rowed back so fast they could represent Ireland in the Olympics. I do like your willingness to defend people who are happy to down a free house in the middle of a housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

They are also record as saying they were promised stables and land for the horses . Peter McCarthy quoted in the Irish Examiner. Then when this blew up they rowed back so fast they could represent Ireland in the Olympics. I do like your willingness to defend people who are happy to down a free house in the middle of a housing crisis.

There is also a general sense that anyone taking those houses would come under severe intimidation if they were missing folk who are fearful of society then I don't think we would be getting that vibe from them

I am sure there will be a few more before the election. It takes time and they are generally not cheap if extensive, a lot of people think a Michael D win is also a foregone conclusion so probably don't want to waste the dough.

I don't buy it, especially after the week we've have, people are chomping for a poll.

Tomorrow's main papers are going to have leads such as "Widespread calls for PCasey to withdraw..."

But ask yourself, where are these widespread calls from? I don't know of them personally, I am only hearing people supporting him.

Travellers groups? Obviously. They do not want any further scrutiny.
    But fair is fair, if you play in the media, then you are open to scrutiny. Scrutiny is good.

Peter Casey is doing this country a great service by using his profile to raise these issues.

• Advertisement

I don't buy it, especially after the week we've have, people are chomping for a poll.
    Yeah I would say all the media in ireland are ganging together to stop showing Casey's massive poll numbers increase.... When in a poll that was done up until the 16th... He was on 2%...

Look he has imo a long shot at second...I personally doubt he will get more than 5-10%

What social media platforms does Casey use for his campaign?

He is on twitter @caseypeterj
    On a side note his website is poor and lot of old. Info. Also no mention of his part in the good Friday agreement... Which he claimed was a thing...

2 days before Casey opened his mouth, the Irish Times ran a story that contradicts what you say. Unless they 'rowed back' before Casey spoke? Traveller premonition maybe?
    They say if a resolution cannot be found they would be happy to see the houses offered to settled families on the council’s waiting list.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/travellers-and-council-clash-over-grazing-land-for-horses-1.3663379

Not a mention of Peter in that article, just a reasonable expression of both views of the dispute.

We are going to get a brand spanking new platform for Irish people who will be compiled to use it to chat to one and another apparently. diaspora.com
    No money for stables though. :D

gmisk wrote:
    He is on twitter @caseypeterj On a side note his website is poor and lot of old. Info. Also no mention of his part in the good Friday agreement... Which he claimed was a thing...

Based on your numerous posts castigating Casey, you seem worried. I thought MDH was.. sorry I mean a sho in.

Based on your numerous posts castigating Casey, you seem worried. I thought MDH was.. sorry I mean a sho in.
    Naw I'm grand ta, Michael D will likely get 60%. Casey might not come last, that's about it.

Honest question would you be happy with casey being president of Ireland?
    If he hadn't have brought up travellers would you have been voting for him?

'thought MDH was.. sorry I mean a sho in'
    No clue what you mean. He is a sho in, do you honestly not think he is?

2 days before Casey opened his mouth, the Irish Times ran a story that contradicts what you say. Unless they 'rowed back' before Casey spoke? Traveller premonition maybe?

Ah look fair play to you for defending the indefensible. But people turning down houses in the middle of a housing crisis due to the lack of stables is a non runner. Very few will back up your nonsense but feel free to keep trying. Casey was right to call out this b*ll**** that's probably what has upset you most. Someone in public with a face and a name to call STOP.

• Advertisement

Ah look fair play to you for defending the indefensible. But people turning down houses in the middle of a housing crisis due to the lack of stables is a non runner. Very few will back up your nonsense but feel free to keep trying. Casey was right to call out this b*ll**** that's probably what has upset you most. Someone in public with a face and a name to call STOP.

There are houses available for the homeless, the family are happy where they are.

What's the issue here?

Travellers HAVEN'T got what they wanted (despite claims to the contrary) and houses are lying empty because a Co Co won't take the advice of the people who DON'T WANT THE HOUSES.

WHO is the problem here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement