Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a property after few years: capital gain tax?

Options
  • 18-10-2018 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi.

I'm thinking about selling the property I bought 3 years ago. The property is rented atm.

Just wondering if I will have to pay any CGT on a possible capital gain?

Any other taxes?

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭DubCount

If you have lived in the property as your PPR for a portion of the 3 years, then the answer could be quite complicated.

If it has never been a PPR, then it will be subject to CGT.

Obviously, you are subject to IT, PRSI and USC on rental income, and the purchaser must pay stamp duty on the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

DubCount wrote: »
    If you have lived in the property as your PPR for a portion of the 3 years, then the answer could be quite complicated.

Obviously, you are subject to IT, PRSI and USC on rental income, and the purchaser must pay stamp duty on the purchase.

yes, it used to be my PPR from the purchase in May 2015 till Sept 2017 when I relocated abroad. I started to rent it from July 2018.

Of course I will pay taxes on the rental income next year (standard rate).

Would you be able to tell me with the data I reported above if CGT is owed? What is the general role about it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It should be applied as a percentage of the time it wasn't a PPR.
    Roughly 2/3 will be exempt and 1/3 of the gain would be liable for CGT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

pasquale83 wrote:

Have you notified revenue it's rented, if there is a mortgage and you are claiming tax relief on the interest, this no longer applies if rented and they will claw back the relief.

august12 wrote: »
    Have you notified revenue it's rented, if there is a mortgage and you are claiming tax relief on the interest, this no longer applies if rented and they will claw back the relief.

Never got a tax relief on my mortgage interests. I was thinking to claim a deduction from the rental income because of the mortgage. Does it makes sense?

• Advertisement

It should be applied as a percentage of the time it wasn't a PPR.
    Roughly 2/3 will be exempt and 1/3 of the gain would be liable for CGT.

OK thanks. What's the general rule then? From the time it is not my PPR I will pay CGT? regardless it is rented or not?

Do you mean this: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/buying_a_home/mortgage_interest_relief.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

pasquale83 wrote:
    Never got a tax relief on my mortgage interests. I was thinking to claim a deduction from the rental income because of the mortgage. Does it makes sense?

You can claim the interest on the mortgage as an expense against rental income, I think the allowable limit is 75% of the interest but you need to registered with the RTB.

You can claim the interest on the mortgage as an expense against rental income, I think the allowable limit is 75% of the interest but you need to registered with the RTB.

yeah sure will do that. thanks.

This thread is only about the taxes on the proceedings of the sale. need to understand more how this CGT works.

thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

pasquale83 wrote: »
    This thread is only about the taxes on the proceedings of the sale. need to understand more how this CGT works.
    At the moment you would owe practically no CGT. You get relief for the time it was your home, plus 1 year.
    So you would only owe for the fraction from Sept 2018 to when you sell.

If for example you held it for another 3 years, half of any gain would be taxed (less any expenses).

• Advertisement

wench wrote: »
    At the moment you would owe practically no CGT. You get relief for the time it was your home, plus 1 year.
    So you would only owe for the fraction from Sept 2018 to when you sell.

If for example you held it for another 3 years, half of any gain would be taxed (less any expenses).

Alright, understood, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

pasquale83 wrote: »
    DubCount wrote: »

yes, it used to be my PPR from the purchase in May 2015 till Sept 2017 when I relocated abroad. I started to rent it from July 2018.

Would you be able to tell me with the data I reported above if CGT is owed? What is the general role about it?

Thanks

No cgt based on renting from Jul 18 (subject to one condition being fulfilled)

You might speak to an financial advisor on this, you could maximise your income by selling next year.

davindub wrote: »
    No cgt based on renting from Jul 18 (subject to one condition being fulfilled)

You might speak to an financial advisor on this, you could maximise your income by selling next year.

thank you for your reply. do you have any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Don't you have to get your tenants out of the property first?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Zero Point

Did you move abroad due to a transfer from a job within a company you were working for here or for seeking work because there were no suitable job opportunities where you lived? I think there may be grounds for claiming a CGT exemption when selling for those reasons but you would need to seek clarification around it now that it's rented out and earning income from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Don't you have to get your tenants out of the property first?

yes of course. but better to know where I'm heading if I sell the house. I like to plan :)

davindub wrote: »

thank you davindub :)

Zero Point wrote: »
    Did you move abroad due to a transfer from a job within a company you were working for here or for seeking work because there were no suitable job opportunities where you lived? I think there may be grounds for claiming a CGT exemption when selling for those reasons but you would need to seek clarification around it now that it's rented out and earning income from it.

Thanks Zero Point. I will check it out. I relocated because I got another job somewhere else but the decision was 100% on me.

Advertisement