Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail reservations

• 12-10-2018 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

which of the signs on the train is for the window and which is the aisle, the upper one is light grey and the lower one is dark grey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

hi guys,

which of the signs on the train is for the window and which is the aisle, the upper one is light grey and the lower one is dark grey?

The upper one. With a square around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

The white square represents the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    hi guys,

The upper one. With a square around it.
    BowWow wrote: »
    there is no white square

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Top line is the window, bottom aisle

Windows are odd numbers, aisle even

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

thanks going nowhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

there is no white square

This is.

Typical Irish Rail wast money removing the old clear stickers which stated widow and aisle. If only they put as much money and time into fixing the system itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

BowWow wrote: »
    there is no white square

Image of the non existent white square I took on Tullamore to Heuston train today.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

Probably somebody complained about the old stickers not being in Irish. Irish Rail are probably looking for a few million from the NTA to fix the issues. I really don't know why they even bother with reservations on some routes.

On 22ks, it's impossible to choose your travel direction, which end of the train you're on and which side of the train you're sitting on - the latter can be important if you're trying to avoid laptop screen glare. I'd prefer to be able to book a ticket without a reservation as I usually choose a seat that suits me better anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bryan48

The seat reservation system doesn't work anyway. People can travel on a different train and there's no way to cancel the reservation. Some don't bother looking for the seat they booked. With reserved seats left unoccupied others are left standing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bryan48

Has anyone got ideas how to fix the reservation system on trains? It's getting worse with people sitting on floors, standing in corridors and lots of supposedly reserved seats empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

The only real solution is to buy more trains but this isn't happening soon.

The big problem with reservations as they stand is that there is no penalty for not occupying a seat you've reserved or for occupying a seat somebody else has reserved. And even if there was, on most trains there is no way of enforcing it.

You'd get a big improvement by getting rid rid of the mandatory seat reservation with online booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Jem72 wrote: »
    The only real solution is to buy more trains but this isn't happening soon.

The big problem with reservations as they stand is that there is no penalty for not occupying a seat you've reserved or for occupying a seat somebody else has reserved. And even if there was, on most trains there is no way of enforcing it.

You'd get a big improvement by getting rid rid of the mandatory seat reservation with online booking.

I would say they should have mandatory reservations for all intercity trains. If you buy a ticket you automatically get a reservation this is the situation in many places on the continent.

Advertisement