Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convert Leaf battery to solar battery?

Options
  • 10-10-2018 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know can you convert cell from a Leaf battery into a solar battery? not the full battery but sections out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know can you convert cell from a Leaf battery into a solar battery? not the full battery but sections out of it?

Not quite the answer to your question Shef, but check out new episode of Fully Charged today on PowerVault, a startup using second life cells from Renault for home storage.

Also, I recall an article about a year ago, I think on Cleantechnica, where some Norwegian dude pulled the modules from a crashed Leaf and stuck them in a server rack his employer was binning! Cost him about 3k for an 18-odd KWh battery!

463528.jpg

19kWh New.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

19kWh New.

Is that a 19kWh battery new?

It's 14 x 6volts, you can bolt together. but you can get much bigger forklift batteries for similar money.

• Advertisement

Is that a 19kWh battery new?

No, it’s 14 leisure batteries, as used in campervans, etc. That’s a fairly big price differential with Li-ion, but presumably comes with some hefty caveats in space, safety, care, etc.

Traction motive battery for high torque electric motors found in golf carts & access MEWPs.
    They are safer; they don't spontaneously combust and then keep reigniting under thermal-runaway conditions.

Leisure batteries are muck.

My 6volts are 4 years old and good as new in daily use.
    62% SOC today. 15Watt solar incoming powering this post.

462450.jpg

45kWh Monoblock Traction Battery.
    Tubular Plate Construction.
    With low maintenance Watering and recombination kit and anti stratification device.

I got offered 5kWh of Leaf batteries for 500 quid..... :-) I am just wondering how I would then hook up to Solar PV.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Of course you can, it's a battery, it stores electricity. Whether or not it's worth it will probably depend on how much you'd end up paying for them and what you'd need to charge them properly.

Friend of mine lives very remote in South Africa and his whole solar array is setup from old submarine batteries. (and no he won't tell anyone how he got to be in possession of submarine batteries but knowing him I'm going to guess there was some wheeling and dealing involved)

interesting article here :

https://www.automotiveworld.com/articles/plug-cars-plug-homes-ev-batteries-get-second-life/

• Advertisement

Submarine batteries are the same as sealed forklift batteries and old telecoms outposts & UPS.

Thanks for all the replies but I am even more confused now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Submarine batteries are the same as sealed forklift batteries and old telecoms outposts & UPS.

Really? I'd have thought they'd somehow be more exotic.

Although I guess it kinda makes sense, if I was in a pressurized tube under water I'd prefer old and reliable over exotic too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

I got offered 5kWh of Leaf batteries for 500 quid..... :-) I am just wondering how I would then hook up to Solar PV.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLNzF3EpTQk

couple of guys on you tube doing it

dathi wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLNzF3EpTQk

couple of guys on you tube doing it

Jesus if the Garda walked into the shed and seen that you would have the whole county closed down and the bomb squad in :p:p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I've been using leaf modules for about 4 years now. They're very easy to work with.
    I wouldn't recommend an installation like the one in that video, the parallel packs have no fusing which is very poor practice.

air wrote: »
    I've been using leaf modules for about 4 years now. They're very easy to work with.
    I wouldn't recommend an installation like the one in that video, the parallel packs have no fusing which is very poor practice.

Can I ask if you’re an electrician/greentech professional? Or is this doable as a relative novice DIY’er? (With electrician’s help of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

It's probably not within the DIY range to be honest unless you are electrically competent at the very least.
    Working with batteries of any description is potentially dangerous, especially once you start combining them in series and parallel strings.
    I'm an engineer and work in the area.

air wrote: »
    It's probably not within the DIY range to be honest unless you are electrically competent at the very least.
    Working with batteries of any description is potentially dangerous, especially once you start combining them in series and parallel strings.
    I'm an engineer and work in the area.

Im not, at most I can build a home computer and put the components together...I think a step too far

Advertisement