Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic ear defenders?

• 09-10-2018 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

So I'm after two/three pairs of electronic ear defenders.
    I was looking at a Irish website and I see a pair of ones that are fairly pricey...€170.
    Was just wondering if anyone with experience of these would say they are worth the price or would I be just overpaying for something that I can get just as good a lot cheaper.

These are the ones in question.
    https://www.sportsden.ie/deben-slim-electronic-ear-muffs.html

I am looking for two possibly three sets so if I could get recommended a set that are good quality and cheaper I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Howard leight by Honeywell electronic ear defenders on Amazon for €50. Highly recommend them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Howard leight by Honeywell electronic ear defenders on Amazon for €50. Highly recommend them

Big Plus 1, Got them last year for clays and pigeon shooting. Brilliant, way better than deben or cauldwell in the same price bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Tikka391

Thanks lads that's exactly the advice I was after.
    I suppose just because there is a big price tag doesn't always mean the best quality or performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Ziggieire

Howard leight i have been using them for years, batteries last about one year ,
    Buy the Gell ear cups, available in amazon or ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

Another one for Howard Leigh

Thanks for all the advice lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Only issue i had with ear muffs in general was that i was shooting a.monte carlo stock shotgun and every now and then the stock of the gun would hit off the ear muffs when you mounted it. I switched to moulded earplugs from instamold but i keep the ear muffs in my bag as back up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Howard Leight are fairly slim and easily the best value, you can wear them all day, really good for pigeon decoying I also have CENS molded which are very good but pricey -
    https://www.censdigital.com/about/hearing-protection

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

I have the howard leight and peltor sportac protectors, the sportac wins hands down especially noticeable if wearing them over extended periods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I have both the peltor protac III and the peltor sport tac.

The sport tac really amplify low noises and are slim. The noise reduction is decent but not good enough if you're shooting anything loud.

The protac have excellent noise reduction but a bulky as a result, they don't amplify as loud as the sport tac but if you need as much noise reduction as possible the protac are the ones to go for.

I have also tried the Howard leights, I wasn't a big fan of them because I found the ear cup doesn't seal that well.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ju_Ju

Great shout on the Honeywell Howard Leight. Got them a few months ago based on this thread and used them for the first time over the weekend doing a bit of decoying.

Noise of the shotgun was dampened as much as my usual ear defenders, but I could hear everything going on around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

I have the Honeywell Howard Leight ear defenders as well - find them very good, especially for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭clivej

I put a review on thoes ear defenders in the Tips section

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

The peltors are worlds ahead of the howard leight! I've owned both and the 3m gear is more durable,comfortable and easier on batteries.

Best bet is to get a few lads together and buy a shot of them from the states. Can be had for $55 or so. Making £90 in the uk.

Hdz

hedzball wrote: »
    The peltors are worlds ahead of the howard leight! I've owned both and the 3m gear is more durable,comfortable and easier on batteries.

Best bet is to get a few lads together and buy a shot of them from the states. Can be had for $55 or so. Making £90 in the uk.

Hdz

We stopped using 3m ear defenders at work, all the sets kept breaking, their quality is gone to sh!te compared to a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

garv123 wrote: »
    We stopped using 3m ear defenders at work, all the sets kept breaking, their quality is gone to sh!te compared to a few years ago.

Yeah the low end crap they dish out is fairly poor.

You get what you pay for in life. We have a few of their breathers and welding masks in work €€€€ kind of figures and they're sublime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

hedzball wrote: »

I'd go in for that - have been meaning to get a set for a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Pog45

Tikka391 wrote: »
    So I'm after two/three pairs of electronic ear defenders.
    I was looking at a Irish website and I see a pair of ones that are fairly pricey...€170.
    Was just wondering if anyone with experience of these would say they are worth the price or would I be just overpaying for something that I can get just as good a lot cheaper.

These are the ones in question.
    https://www.sportsden.ie/deben-slim-electronic-ear-muffs.html

I am looking for two possibly three sets so if I could get recommended a set that are good quality and cheaper I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks.

I got two pairs of these on amazon recently €24 each. Work great. No interference and can hear voice perfect when switched on. They out perform granny’s hearing aidsðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement
Advertisement