Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

enricoh wrote: »
    2.3 billion is to be spent on housing in 2019, how much is enough? Builders are flat out at the minute, does anyone in the country think that the government will get good value for its 2.3 billion. Construction inflation through the roof next year!!

Its were they spend it. Servicing an ever worsening problem isn't going to turn it around. The best we can hope for with this logic to near full housing with homes bought off the market for use as social housing and paying private landlords. How much is enough? It'll keep going up year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

It's times like this I despair at the candidates we have on our ballot papers. We have our "right wing" party handing more to those who contribute nothing than those out keeping the country afloat.

The solution? Dont know, Renua were making some of the right noises but they have their own issues. But it's certainly not vote for those who promise to squander even more on welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

nc6000 wrote: »
    What about Leo and all his talk of leading a party for people who get up early in the morning?
    Get up on Kathleen in the morning

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

7.73 per week gain for me. Higher than average but I'll still probably have to cut down on dining out considering the hikes there.

It's a pity the Home Renovation Incentive isn't being dragged out another year or two.

• Advertisement

The working man needs to down tools and take to the streets over this.
    You're penalised if you work under this Govt.

I would... but I can't. I have to go to work. :(

Mind you, a take-a-sick-day-and-protest day would be a good idea. Naturally, though, your employer would likely slap you about the place for doing it, which means many can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

An extra €203 at Christmas brings it to an extra €9 pw while someone who will be getting up early on the cold dark mornings will be lucky to get an extra €3 pw into their hand.

A budget for the lazy and career breeders.

Sickening.
    Don't forget the fuel allowance

flowerific wrote: »
    Don't forget the fuel allowance

Think that's only pensioners though isn't it?

(Like the phone allowance :rolleyes: although, much as I reckon it's silly, I don't mind OAPs getting looked after, and hope I get onboard the public gravy train when I hit retirement, too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Had a gander at the PWC income tax calculator.

I am up €464 for the year.

Basic rate social welfare increased by €448.

I heard some media wags calling this an "election budget".
    These commentators are mistaken if they think f*cking over the working people over and over again will win elections

Folks blaming people on welfare and other parties for FG policies they don't like makes this an election budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

4.84 a week better off. i was mad last year when the dole people got the same as me but this year combined with the christmas bonus they are way ahead.

wtf???

i pay a mortgage and all ensuing bills on my own...esb ( look how much that increased this year) my property tax increased this year, oil heating has also jumped massively, not to mention diesel at the pumps at the moment.

my salary has not increased in years.

have no kids so the government will take a very hefty 33% cut out of any inheritance i leave...i can only leave up to 32K tax free to a niece or nephew after a lifetime of working and paying massive amounts of paye

oh and because i'm single i even pay more paye than my married co-workers who sit beside me

freaking joke the lot of it. we're all mugs and little pawn slaves for the corporations and governments who are laughing all the way with the banks

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

Think that's only pensioners though isn't it?

(Like the phone allowance :rolleyes: although, much as I reckon it's silly, I don't mind OAPs getting looked after, and hope I get onboard the public gravy train when I hit retirement, too. :)

No JSA get it too may be JSB aswell

The most incredible figure is on spending.

Year-on-year spending increases by €3.8 billion!

FF levels of largess

Lessons were never learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

When it was 5% the customers paid it. There's nothing saying that it can't be a requirement to pass it on either. And it does also apply to online betting. Bookies got around it by basing their online facilities outside of the state but that's a loophole that can be closed easy enough.

There's no way they'll be able to close that loophole. Exceptionally easy for anyone to get money on in any worldwide market they want these days.

A small percentage of addicts and small recreational paid the tax when it was here. Gambling is a completely different beast now and customers are smarter. You'll kill all winning or break even action straight away if you passed the tax on which is a high percentage. Everyone else's turnover would decrease as there would be much less churn of winnings. Tbh you could catagorise most people who remain betting as problem gamblers straight away. The tax take would end up being less than when it was 1% last week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The most incredible figure is on spending.

Year-on-year spending increases by €3.8 billion!

FF levels of largess

Lessons were never learned.

Why would they? Its a FF/FG govt.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Why would they? Its a FF/FG govt.

What's to learn anyway? It was all of us went mad and partied right? All I can see that came out of it was the writing off of large sums of debt and profits being made from the aftermath, meanwhile jo-shmo is busting a gut and told to stop whinging.
    The housing sales and rental industry is booming. If you're not making, tough luck, pay your taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Folks blaming people on welfare and other parties for FG policies they don't like makes this an election budget.

High levels of welfare were set as expectation during the many FF giveaway budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Was hoping to see something done with childcare. Because of the jobs we work we need someone to come into our house, we both work 5 days a week. Because they are in our house we need to become employers and obviously pay minimum wage. It's costing around 2k per month. Not a bit of tax relief in sight, so out of our gross pay to have our kids looked after is 48k per annum. Biggest outgoing in our house by a long shot.

milhous wrote: »
    we need someone to come into our house, we both work 5 days a week. Because they are in our house we need to become employers and obviously pay minimum wage. It's costing around 2k per month. Not a bit of tax relief in sight, so out of our gross pay to have our kids looked after is 48k per annum.

The government actually covered that.

The minister said: "Why don't you look after your own flesh & blood and stop whinging about paying some Eastern European to be your indentured servant"

It was cutting by the minister, but fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can't understand this effort to make changes to give people an extra couple of euro per week.

It makes next to no difference.

Would be better keeping the whole sum and spend it on the bigger picture.

Plus, the amount of analysis put into it after its announced is way ott, as we know most of what is coming before its broadcast. There's no surprises any more.

The 9 news has spent 20 min talking about it, then did another story for 3 min, and now tell us after the break they are going to talk about it some more.

Then Prime Time will chat about it all again after the news.

I'd understand if it had announced something groundbreaking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Sleepy wrote: »
    Why are they bandying around the €5 a week figure. In reality, most on welfare have dependents, so thus there'll be a combination of:

€5 for the main claimant (198 -> 203)
    €3.30 for a spouse / partner (131.4 -> 134.7)
    €2.20 for each child under 12 (31.8 -> 34)
    and €5.20 for each child over 12 (31.8 - 37)

For the "average" family of Mother, Father and two kids, that works out to €15.70 pw increase
    A single parent with two kids works out to a 12.40 p/w increase

Adding the Christmas bonus (of a full weeks payments at €408.70) the nuclear family on welfare is seeing an increase of €23.48 p/w (or €1,221.10 per annum) after Budget 2019 while the single parent family with two kids on welfare (with a bonus payment of €274) is actually seeing an increase of €17.66.

This isn't a budget for the "squeezed middle", it's a budget for welfare recipients.

A single income family of the same nuclear makeup now needs an after-tax salary of €21,661.10 to match their unemployment benefits. Add in HAP/Social Housing and ancilliaries (back to school allowance etc) and it's making a mockery of anyone trying to raise a family on less than €50k per annum.

EDIT: Corrected the increase to account for chasm's correct RE dependent benefit increase being €3.30 rather than €5

I'm not on social media or the like, but can someone tweet this into the Pat Kenny show on NT and Sean O'Rourke show on RTE tonight. They'll be 'interviewing' Pascal tomorrow morning.
    I don't expect RTE to pin the Minister on it but Kenny wouldn't be afraid to drop it in at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Have to laugh at people thinking budgets are there to give them lots of money.

Everyone giving out about the homeless and social housing, well you all got your wish 2.5 billion going on it, there’s your money you thought you were getting back.

Bunch of whingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

It's funny how people think asking for your "own" money back seems like a bizarre concept..

Everyone giving out about the homeless and social housing, well you all got your wish 2.5 billion going on it, there’s your money you thought you were getting back.

Bunch of whingers.

People who work and pay their taxes should not receive less of a reward from the tax payer in a budget like today's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

It’s a good budget for those on social welfare seems to be the main message ... pavee point though reckon 5 euro of an increase is not adequate for those on social welfare ffs where will it all end ??

Hurrache wrote: »
    People who work and pay their taxes should not receive less of a reward from the tax payer in a budget like today's.

Well then stop all the moaning about homeless and housing.

People moan and said it needs to be a housing budget.

People got their wish and the money has to come from somewhere.

Well then stop all the moaning about homeless and housing.

People moan and said it needs to be a housing budget.

People got their wish and the money has to come from somewhere.

Who's moaning about the housing measures?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i'm sure it been said, its kinda disappointing that people that work 0 hrs being better off (from a net gain pov) than someone who works 40hrs a week.

i only wish we had the time to strike. that'd quickly change the tune of any government. but alas, we have bills need paying :mad:

Hurrache wrote: »
    Who's moaning about the housing measures?

2.5 billion.

That money is the money people wanted back in tax cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

I don't think the people said that. I think a few politicians said it. The people in general are not concerned about homelessness. Because the definition of homelessness is so broad, nobody has a clue as to the actual number of true homeless. This is a mistake that FF are making, wrongly thinking the electorate are so concerned about it. They foolishly made it their number one priority in this budget.

Advertisement