Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phones between two houses

• 09-10-2018 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi
    I am trying to set up two phones between me and my mums house approx 100 meters apart, for my mums peace of mind at night time
    I can run a cable if necessary, I don't want to go down the route of Mobil or eircode phones
    Has anybody any ideas please
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

ever think about a pair of simple walkie talkies

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nalin

squawker wrote: »
    ever think about a pair of simple walkie talkies

Hi
    Yes, But also I should have added that I am a complete novice/ and stupid when it comes to something like this,,
    I was thinking of something I can and my mum can leave beside my / our bed that is charged all the time, and has some sort of ring tone, so if she's frightened or hears something she can ring me,
    Forgive me I'm not discounting wallow talkie, but would they do this ! ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How about the phones that piggyback on the mains.
    We had a set 20 years ago for my mother in law and they were great.

Plug into any power socket in each house. Lift one handset and the other automatically rings.

_Brian wrote: »
    How about the phones that piggyback on the mains.
    We had a set 20 years ago for my mother in law and they were great.

Plug into any power socket in each house. Lift one handset and the other automatically rings.

Do you know what they called , or where I would go about finding a set
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Do the 2 of you not have mobiles?

• Advertisement

Do the 2 of you not have mobiles?

Hi
    Yes we do, I , because of my line of work put my phone on silent every nigh, or I just wouldn't get sleep !!
    I'm not been ignorant to you, and sorry if it sounds that way , but I think your missing the point here ! in what I'm asking and require !
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 hugedinosaur

These are two different links about setting up an intercom:

https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/howto-make-an-intercom-out-of-obsolete-corded-phones/21960

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bwLjU90puA

There are comments both saying that they have no ringer, or that a ringer would need to be added to make them fully functioning. However, there are also comments saying that a ringer is not required, as hanging up the phone just mutes the microphone, not the speaker, and by picking up one phone the voice will be heard on the other one. But then this would only be practical if the person being called was close enough to hear and not in some other room of the house.

I haven't looked at these instructions in detail, but if you are interested you could search for similar webpages, and you might find what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

nalin wrote: »
    Hi
    I am trying to set up two phones between me and my mums house approx 100 meters apart, for my mums peace of mind at night time
    I can run a cable if necessary, I don't want to go down the route of Mobil or eircode phones
    Has anybody any ideas please
    Thanks

You can't run a cable between two houses on different power supplies.

There are several ways to do this but walkie talkies or a mobile phones based panic button would be the simplest

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Do you know what they called , or where I would go about finding a set
    Thanks

Honestly I can’t remember. The worked a treat and when MIL passed away we gave them to a friend to use.

These are two different links about setting up an intercom:

https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/howto-make-an-intercom-out-of-obsolete-corded-phones/21960

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bwLjU90puA

There are comments both saying that they have no ringer, or that a ringer would need to be added to make them fully functioning. However, there are also comments saying that a ringer is not required, as hanging up the phone just mutes the microphone, not the speaker, and by picking up one phone the voice will be heard on the other one. But then this would only be practical if the person being called was close enough to hear and not in some other room of the house.

I haven't looked at these instructions in detail, but if you are interested you could search for similar webpages, and you might find what you need.

Thank you
    I will have a look through this, much appreciated

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Honestly I can’t remember. The worked a treat and when MIL passed away we gave them to a friend to use.

Thank you Brian, much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Hi
    Yes we do, I , because of my line of work put my phone on silent every nigh, or I just wouldn't get sleep !!
    I'm not been ignorant to you, and sorry if it sounds that way , but I think your missing the point here ! in what I'm asking and require !
    Thanks

I'd just buy a cheap pre-pay mobile phone and keep it constantly on charge beside your bed.

I don't know if SIM cards expire after 6 months anymore, or if you just need to use it at least once every 6 months.

Cost next to nothing, and you'll have a backup phone if you ever need it.

EDIT: Just remembered, this might be much easier: https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/166987/allow-certain-contacts-to-ring-when-phone-on-silent-night-mode

I'd just buy a cheap pre-pay mobile phone and keep it constantly on charge beside your bed.

I don't know if SIM cards expire after 6 months anymore, or if you just need to use it at least once every 6 months.

Cost next to nothing, and you'll have a backup phone if you ever need it.

EDIT: Just remembered, this might be much easier: https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/166987/allow-certain-contacts-to-ring-when-phone-on-silent-night-mode

Hi
    Thanks, and yes I hear what your saying and probably will have to go down that route, but I really don't want to go that way, I really thought that there would be some sort of simplistic solution out there, as I'm sure a lot of people have similar requests !
    But thank you
    Much appreciated

Hi
    Thanks, and yes I hear what your saying and probably will have to go down that route, but I really don't want to go that way, I really thought that there would be some sort of simplistic solution out there, as I'm sure a lot of people have similar requests !
    But thank you
    Much appreciated

Just read your attachment about allowing certain numbers to ring you when your phone is on silent
    NOW that might be an answer to look into
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

nalin wrote:
    Just read your attachment about allowing certain numbers to ring you when your phone is on silent NOW that might be an answer to look into Thanks

If you have an android phone look for "do not disturb" in the settings. Depending on the phone and android version it might be called something else You can set it so it automatically silences your phone but you can allow certain contacts to bypass it.

Advertisement