Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a car serviced in Waterford

Options
  • 30-12-2004 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi All. Just wondering, Its time to get the car checked over and serviced. Its the first time Ive had to do it (First time Ive owned a car!) so can anyone give me recommendations and/or prices of good places to go??

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I use Shane Browne who is located besides Dominos Pizza which is off Park road in the collection of units besides Tubs and Tiles.

He has'nt let me down yet, his number is 051 855551

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

mike65 wrote:
    I use Shane Browne who is located besides Dominos Pizza which is off Park road in the collection of units besides Tubs and Tiles.

He has'nt let me down yet, his number is 051 855551

Mike.

dont have a car cause im **** but they have a great reputation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Yeah Ive heard he's reasonable and wont start doing stuff that dosnt really need doing. Funny that his name keeps coming up. Ive dropped in there today and yesterday already but he must be on holiers still.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Thanks Mike for the suggestion, I need to get my car serviced too. It needs one asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Eddie Lyons in Ferrybank, 051 832902 is a good guy.

• Advertisement

Any idea how much Id expect to pay in any of those places for a basic service and a check on all the usual bits and pieces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How long is a piece of string?

It depends on what neds replacing. Is the car running okay generally speaking?

I would budget for the following

Labour (to check over items like brakes, suspension etc)

Spark plugs
    Engine oil and filter
    Air filter
    Coolant (maybe)
    Brake fluid (maybe)

The best thing to do is to ask for all the above to be done UNLESS you know
    the cars service history, if it has no history take no chances!

The cost will be hefty for all that but if you get in touch with the mechanic (whoever you choose) first he can give an outline estimate.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Is that Trotter from Ferrybank?

Nope! Im not from Ferrybank.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Shane Browne is very good.. Never heard a bad word about him yet..

Noel O'Keefe on the old Tramore - Waterford road is fairly good too, he does
    a lot of work for all the bigger dealerships in Waterford. A bit hard to find his
    place though and you will need a lift back into Waterford as he really does
    live in the middle of no where, about 2 miles from Tramore

Pm me if you want details.

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 WuckingFanker

The Car Clinic on Witches Lane are ok money-wise, I had some lights broken in the town and they fixed it for me around half the cost of what the Honda dealer wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭dzilla

The Car Clinic on Witches Lane are ok money-wise, I had some lights broken in the town and they fixed it for me around half the cost of what the Honda dealer wanted.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ta fcuk with main dealers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm sure Trotter is thrilled with this information as he copes with the 2004/5 winter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'm sure Trotter is thrilled with this information as he copes with the 2004/5 winter

Did your original advice for Shane Browne stand the test of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

one other thing i would mention is, what year is the car, whats the make and model, If i had a new enough car i would stay with the main dealer, this will be good when it comes to selling the car, main dealer service history is always a good thing when selling.

I would say oil change and spark plugs service will normally set you back about 100-150 bucks, depending on make and model,

Advertisement