Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the 2020 US election be primarily about social issues rather than economic ones?

Options
  • 07-10-2018 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Do you think the 2020 US election is increasingly likely to be fought over social issues rather than economic ones?

I'm thinking about what the democrats strategy will be in 2020, following the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh its increasingly likely the #MeToo movement is going to be the front and centre of this campaign, perhaps it will be the number 1 important issue for democrats in 2020 (certainly if Harris or Gilibrand are the nominee).

I think the strategy for the democrats will likely to keep calling out Trump as a racist, sexist, bigot, racist, sexist, bigot, racist, sexist, bigot etc keep reminding people of his bigotry in order to encourage huge minority and female turnout whilst pointing out his corruption as well etc. I think it will be about ending the white (male) entitlement too.

I'm skeptical however it will be fought over economic issues as much. The democrats have strong links to wall street and the corporate friendly wing of the party will not approve of too much change, ala Bernie 'break up the big banks' style change or to certain extent Liz Warren's aggressive approach to the banks. I think insiders simply want Trump out without having to change the political system too much if they can, ala as it were before Trump.

You'll notice the likes of CNN, who are huge champions of #MeToo, Kapaernick and other forms of social change, but were against Bernie Sanders in 2016 and very very critical of the occupy wall street movement and I think they have their pulse on the democratic party at the moment.

Also there's a good chance the economy will be strong in 2020 (low unemployment, high GDP), and it might be more difficult to attack Trump on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Last election had little to do with economy so maybe. A bigger % voted for Clintons economic policy than Trumps (52 vs 41).

The issues people voted for Trump were immigration and terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's all about the spin. It's comforting to be told by your leaders that everything will be grand, just stay the course. Anyone saying different has an agenda or is fake.
    It'll be tough for democrats. Their hopes lie in new voters and any social grass roots movements. Pity all those people have to look forward to is possibly more Democrats in power. Slightly better than the completely morally bankrupt Republicans I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

This story is relevant here.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-banks/banks-back-democrats-in-bid-to-rebuild-bipartisan-support-idUSKCN1MG0AJ

Donations to help economically moderate Democrats might mean an increase in Social Issues focus rather than the more left wing economics with slightly less focus on hot button social issues that were seen with Saunders.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Do you think the 2020 US election is increasingly likely to be fought over social issues rather than economic ones?

I'm thinking about what the democrats strategy will be in 2020, following the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh its increasingly likely the #MeToo movement is going to be the front and centre of this campaign, perhaps it will be the number 1 important issue for democrats in 2020 (certainly if Harris or Gilibrand are the nominee).

I think the strategy for the democrats will likely to keep calling out Trump as a racist, sexist, bigot, racist, sexist, bigot, racist, sexist, bigot etc keep reminding people of his bigotry in order to encourage huge minority and female turnout whilst pointing out his corruption as well etc. I think it will be about ending the white (male) entitlement too.

I'm skeptical however it will be fought over economic issues as much. The democrats have strong links to wall street and the corporate friendly wing of the party will not approve of too much change, ala Bernie 'break up the big banks' style change or to certain extent Liz Warren's aggressive approach to the banks. I think insiders simply want Trump out without having to change the political system too much if they can, ala as it were before Trump.

You'll notice the likes of CNN, who are huge champions of #MeToo, Kapaernick and other forms of social change, but were against Bernie Sanders in 2016 and very very critical of the occupy wall street movement and I think they have their pulse on the democratic party at the moment.

Also there's a good chance the economy will be strong in 2020 (low unemployment, high GDP), and it might be more difficult to attack Trump on it.

No, I don't think it will be and here is why

1. On the #Meetoo and sexist stuff. The Democrats poster boy for a number of years has been Bill Clinton.
    The allegations that could be made against Clinton would put the allegations against Kavanaugh in the halfpenny place.
    It's not a road that the Dem want to go down with the Clinton's still so close to the party.
    And not only that but the whole #meetoo thing has not been exclusive to anyone party, it has affected Democrats as much as anyone else

2. Issues like the Democrats seems to be focused on like BLM and transgender bathrooms at the end of the day people care feck all about. A regular white person does not give a F**k about what cops might be doing to black people in a part of town that they will never go to or have anything to do with.
    They care about their own situation and their families situation, whether than be from a financial, lifestyle or security point of view.

Advertisement