Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achilles tendon injury

Options
  • 07-10-2018 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all,

I'm not looking for medical advice, I've already been to a physio, but I'm just wondering has anyone any experience with how long these injuries take to improve?

I know its a how long is a piece of string question but the pain first became very acute on Tuesday and I am still unable to really walk on it at all. After a minute or two it just gets too painful.

I know training is obviously out of the question for a while but I am due to go away for the weekend on Friday and I'm now worried that I still wont be able to walk on it by then, as it feels to have gotten worse rather than better since my appt.

Can anyone shed any light?

Sorry I know there are frequent questions about this type of injury but they tend to be more focused on the running side, rather than just general mobility.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I've had Achilles troubles several times, and it very much depends on the severity of the inflammation. It can vary from a couple of days to a couple of months.

If it's so painful that you can't even walk properly, then obviously you need to rest it. But once the worst is over I actually find it heals quicker if you do a certain amount of exercise rather than full rest. However, I strongly suggest you follow your physio's advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lauren05

Thanks a lot for the response. In the last couple of hours my other leg has completely given in- the achilles tendon area and all up the calf very painful.

A lot of pressure up the calf in the original leg too

The physio did say from my reactions the other leg may give too but gotta say I'm starting to struggle a bit now with the pain.

Although I have a desk job I need to walk a bit to get there. I've been getting taxis but is difficult with the traffic.

I have another appointment on Wednesday. Guess theres nothing I can do but just hope for an improvement in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I stuffed a achilles injury in October 2016. My physio recommended I go to the Sports Clinic in Santry for a MRI so I'd know exactly what type of achilles injury I had suffered and how bad it was. My VHI covered the costs. I had no running until February 2017 and even then it was a very slow journey back with many ups and downs. I slowly built up my mileage but towards the end July '17 it was bothering me enough that I had to take another month off with no running. Looking back I wasn't patient enough. After that I seen it as something I've to live it more so then been cured of completely. Again I slowly built up the mileage and thankfully I'm managing it now and I have a few PBs in the bag since while maintaining an average of 60km per week since January this year. During my rehabilitation I spent loads of time working on my claves, glutes, foot strike, mobility.  I found heel inserts and shoes with a soft heel helped in the early stages a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I tore my right achilles completely running about 10 years ago, its not a fun injury.
    When it happened it felt like a sledgehammer just whacked me in the back of my ankle and all of a sudden i couldn't lift my foot.
    Honestly, if you have pain there now running my advice is to stop, google eccentric heel drops and get it better before you end up tearing it.
    I know you probably dont want to hear it but trust me a few weeks getting it better is preferable to over a year out after a tear, yes its that bad and hurts like crap when it happens.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

No there's not a chance of me attempting to run on it! :(

I'm worried that walking is escalating the problem but as everyones aware its unavoidable.

I can only walk for 3 or 4 minutes before the pain gets too intense so I'm having to limit what I'm doing anyway.

This is longest I've gone without getting a run in in years - surprised how edgy its making me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

lauren05 wrote: »
    No there's not a chance of me attempting to run on it! :(

I'm worried that walking is escalating the problem but as everyones aware its unavoidable.

I can only walk for 3 or 4 minutes before the pain gets too intense so I'm having to limit what I'm doing anyway.

This is longest I've gone without getting a run in in years - surprised how edgy its making me!

I feel for you as I have an injury to both legs in the Achilles it started in my right leg and its always been worse in that one and then my left, mine started in March and I took some rest to start with and then started very slowly running again but I have had a few setbacks along the way. I was never in as much pain walking as you seem to be :eek: have you messaged your physio to let him know. has he taped it up for you. I found compression socks great

I had to use heel lifts and went for a gait analysis making sure I was in the right runners as a higher heel drop is better for your Achilles, I set back one of my attempt at recovery wearing the wrong runners. what kind of shoes are you wearing to work they may not be helping at all.

I had to take 6 weeks off completely and I cycled instead, I had to do a load of core and hip S&C and feeling the benefit of that now, I am very slowly coming back running 5 minutes my first week building up to 35 minutes with a few little bumps along the way, not Achilles related though :)
    I have it all in my log if that helps you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Currently recovering from an Achilles injury and have had them before. As others have said be sure to follow your physio's advice.

In terms off layoff , I've been out for 5 months before with Achilles issues. More recently it was 6 weeks ( but still feel like it needs close monitoring and managing)

In terms of things that might help the recovery process, gel heel inserts in your shoes, running and normal day to day. All round work from core, glutes, hamstrings, calves etc will help. there may be a root cause as sometimes the Achilles symptoms are arising because of a weakness elsewhere. in my case I have a weakness in my back which just cause a knock on effect in other areas.

Also check your running shoes if they are due to be replaced and are worn down.

Other things I do apart from the usual heel drops/lifts etc are ice every day, or alternate submersion in cold/warm water ( two buckets, one warm one cold), massaging tendon with your fingers every day as this area does not tend to get much blood supply, this will help. Use anti inflammatory gels such as voltarol too. Every little bit helps.

Good luck with your recovery. Its a really difficult one to clear up in my experience.

Thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately since I originally posted the pain transferred to the other leg, and has now gone up both calves. Also experienced a couple of bouts of deadness to both legs which was horrible.

I went back to my physio who advised that there was nothing he could do and Id need to see a doctor. Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to get an appointment.

My back is now incredibly sore, along with the under side of my heels, probably from the way I have been walking.

Feeling incredibly frustrated at this weeks. Its been nearly 2 weeks and I'm much worse off than before :(

Advertisement