Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

leaving unaccompanied bags in the hold.

• 06-10-2018 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

http://www.airliners.de/das-luftfahrtgipfel/47114

Interested parties were invited to a German Summit where issues with improving the operation of the commercial aviation industry in Germany was discussed. Among the attendees were goverment, offical bodies, airlines, airport operators, etc...

They released their findings/areas for investigation which they hope will help to improve the whole experience.

I find proposal No 21. interesting.
    Die Fluggesellschaften prüfen und nutzen die Möglichkeiten, die ihnen EU-rechtliche Vorgaben für den Verzicht auf die Entladung von unbeabsichtigt unbegleitetem Gepäck gewähren, um Verspätung wegen der Entladung zu vermeiden.

which roughly translates as:
    The airlines check and use the possibility of the E.U. approved allowance to no longer unload unintentionally unaccompanied luggage so as to avoid or minimise delays associated with unloading.

I can only imagine how big a pain it is for a baggage handler to find one or two cases out of hundreds in the hold of a 737 much less an A380.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Alot of aircraft use containers and they know which container a bag is in.

It does take some time to get the containers out though.

I always thought this was a result of the Lockerbie bomb.

I wouldn't like to see it change purely on the basis that someone would be free to check in a bag and walk out of the airport. All it would take is one nefarious bag to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

But Ryanair don't or other 737 operators which is alot of daily EU traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I am wondering what happens when your bags dont make the flight. Like they have to send them on the next flight unaccompanied. Happened to me a few years back was flying Dublin to Toronto via LHR my bags didnt show up in Toronto as they missed the connection at LHR.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

jjbrien wrote: »
    I am wondering what happens when your bags dont make the flight. Like they have to send them on the next flight unaccompanied. Happened to me a few years back was flying Dublin to Toronto via LHR my bags didnt show up in Toronto as they missed the connection at LHR.

That you had presented yourself for travel is seen as sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you fly your bags fly.

All bags ar subject to X-ray and screening out of sight these days anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

castie wrote: »
    Alot of aircraft use containers and they know which container a bag is in.

It does take some time to get the containers out though.

I always thought this was a result of the Lockerbie bomb.

I wouldn't like to see it change purely on the basis that someone would be free to check in a bag and walk out of the airport. All it would take is one nefarious bag to get through.
    Yeah, that’s where the rule came from alright, but provided all bags are screened to the highest standards in the EU I don’t see any issues with this proposal

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

I had thought that this requirement was a bit redundant now.

The original thinking was that no-one would be crazy enough to have a bomb in their bag and then get on a plane about to be blown up.

The most recent threat would completely negate that hypothesis ... 9/11, shoe bombers, underpants bombers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Anyone with nefarious intent won't know their bag won't be carried on the first flight. Those bags that are misdirected can be given additional screening.
    L1011 wrote: »
    That you had presented yourself for travel is seen as sufficient.
    Post September 11 and especially shoe bomber, this is insufficient reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Victor wrote: »
    Anyone with nefarious intent won't know their bag won't be carried on the first flight. Those bags that are misdirected can be given additional screening.

Post September 11 and especially shoe bomber, this is insufficient reasoning.

In my case was the travel agent booked too short a connection from the old T1 at LHR to T4 was 1:10 for that connection the bags never had a chance took BA 2 days to get them to me.

Not sure how much of a good idea it is for the EU to allow bags on a flight if the passenger didn't turn up to board. Bags with batterys etc spring to mind.

I would like to see an EU wide secruity clearance where if you cleared security in Dublin that you wouldnt have to do it again at Rome, LHR if they do stay in the EU :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I would like to see an EU wide secruity clearance where if you cleared security in Dublin that you wouldnt have to do it again at Rome, LHR if they do stay in the EU :rolleyes:

Is that not an issue of airport design rather than any specific rule forbidding it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I only see this as a problem if checked baggage for the hold is not security screened properly TBH.

And I have often wondered why unaccompanied baggage causes so much grief. See above!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

markpb wrote: »
    Is that not an issue of airport design rather than any specific rule forbidding it?

UK forbids it unless you are transferring from a UK domestic flight

But many airports allow it, AMS for one, DUB T2 does now for EU/US/CA flights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I had thought that this requirement was a bit redundant now.

The original thinking was that no-one would be crazy enough to have a bomb in their bag and then get on a plane about to be blown up.

The most recent threat would completely negate that hypothesis ... 9/11, shoe bombers, underpants bombers ...

It still massively narrows the scope for bombers though.

A suicide bomber/hijacker only gets 1 shot at 1 plane with his attack,costing him his life, whereas another bomber could theoretically check in 100 unaccompanied bags with bombs onto 100 planes and walk away unharmed.

Advertisement