Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What popular games don't you like?

Options
  • 06-10-2018 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭

We've plenty of threads on which games you like, but very few on which ones you don't like.

So I'm constantly at some of the lads about how much they play Fortnite. Personally, I think it's a horrible game mainly due to the building mechanics. I've tried about 10 times, and played about 30 games in total, single or as part of a team, and each time I ended up turning it off out of sheer annoyance.

Similarly, I dislike nearly every turn based game due to that mechanic, and I'm not a fan of RTS's in general (is Age of Empires RTS? That is about the only one I like, but I way preferred 2 to 3).

Other popular games I can't get into are Destiny due to it feeling very meh, and the Souls series and it's related games (Bloodborne, etc) due to the level of repetitiveness. I don't play any Fifas since the 98/99 times, as they're just too convoluted nowadays for a simple quick game, and no matter what I do when playing against someone who plays it properly, they just walk near my and the ball is gone from me, but when I try it nothing happens. Meh.

So what popular games do you not like, hate or just can't get it to click?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Destiny for sure, bought it to play with a friend. Played about two hours havent touched it since.
    Fallout apocalypse games dont really appeal to me
    COD although i played the recent one and enjoyed the story. But for playing it online lol no.
    Just Cause
    Far cry
    There is loads that i just went meh

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Just can't get into it at all. Find it really aimless. The combat is pretty meh to me and the story non existent. So does not really push any buttons for me. Well except for it looks cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Not into racing games so Need for Speed, Forza or Project CARS don't appeal to me at all.

I make an exception for Road Redemption though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Anything at all with Mario in. Just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

The recently released God Of war : Platinumed the game but overall I did not enjoy it compared to past entries. The combat was not my taste as Devil may cry and Bayonetta are some of my fav games in that genre . while the game looked gorgeous I found the game to fall into the same AAA traps being too overly cinematic and being a story drive narrative game , the story was forgetful and by the end I did not care for kratos nor his son at the end . still is my biggest disappointment of 2018 alongside Yakuza 6

Fortnite: as much of a mess PUBG is as a game its still a much better game and rewarding than Fortnite which only blew up because its free.

Witcher 2: found the combat to be extremely dull and not fun . its the only game in the series I never completed .

Bioshock Infinite
    Grand theft auto 4
    Fallout 4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I bought a Switch a few months back and it gets hardly any use as most of the "essential/must have" games have just not been to my taste at all. Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are probably the most beloved games on the console and I couldn't get into them at all. I can see why people love them and I really tried to enjoy them. I played a good few hours before getting bored and giving up.

The Witcher 3 is another I could not enjoy. Game looks great but again I got bored with the gameplay. I actually bought it twice. First time I only got to the Griffin (first real mission?), decided it wasn't for me so traded it in. 9 -12 months later having seen nothing but the highest praise I've ever seen a game getting and a nephew constantly telling me how great it is I bought again thinking I must have judged it too hard and was willing to give it another chance. Got further this time (past bloody baron quest) but still couldn't get into it.

I've been interested in Shadow of the Tomb Raider sine it's announcement but didn't want to risk €60 on a game I may not like. I had played, but not finished, Rise of the Tomb Raider and thought it was only ok. Not great but not bad either. So rather than paying the €60 on the new release I decided to finish Rise and buy the first game from the trilogy. If I enjoyed it I would buy Shadow. I could not stand the reboot. Found the gameplay was as shallow as it gets and felt it didn't evolve at all over the course of the game. Instant death due to failing QTE's was so frustrating until realising I just had to press triangle every time. Some of the dialogue was trash. Honestly thought this game had everything I dislike about modern AAA releases. Needless to say I won't be buying Shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Skyrim, have about 20 hours logged on it from years ago and most was aimless wandering putting up with the terrible combat for as long as I could. I see people lose their minds over it and "OMG going back to relive the experience again" and I don't get it! And I loved Oblivion, which makes it odder.

Horizon: Zero Dawn, played a bit when picked it in January and decided to give it another try recently. Its good, slightly above Assassins Creed and thats because the combat felt a bit more engaging and more options....but thats slowly seeping away (just defeated a Stormbird or whatever its name is by hitting it with 5 ropes to tie it down and spammed hardpoint arrows, rinse repeat). That and the same "climb tower to reveal map" and all the potential locations are greyed in.....just let me explore and find things naturally!

Now hopefully I can change this last one with time, but played several hours of Yakuza 0 and its....so....bloody....slow! Ive heard its the worst in the series for the cutscene lengths and such but its excruciating at times. The other side stuff is great, but seeing as its a series thats been bigged up for its plot and intricate storylines/characters it feels a huge letdown to not play more because I dont want to have to sit through hours of dialogue waiting for anything to happen! Will give it another try later, alongside Kiwami on PS+ next month.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wow, any moba game, pubg, fortnite,smash brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Any of the slow, cinematic and/or story heavy 3rd person perspective games that got mad popular on 7th/8th gen consoles. last of us, horizon, life is strange, hellblade etc

Battle royal format games went completely off my radar.

And any newly released multiplayer FPS with console focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Greyfox

CrazyFish wrote: »
    Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Just can't get into it at all. Find it really aimless. The combat is pretty meh to me and the story non existent. So does not really push any buttons for me. Well except for it looks cool.

I love Witcher 3, last of us, GTA5, red dead redemp, Skyrim, new god of war and HZDawn but found Zelda botw to be far superior. In terms of gameplay and combat it's so much more natural and intuitive. The witcher 3 may have a better story and subquests but Zelda botw is fun and addictive for every minute of it's 90 hour journey... but each to there own

Although Bloodborne/dark souls games are good I think reviewers should be giving the games an honest 7/10 at the most as the actual reality is they unfairly punish gamers repeately without giving the player a fair chance to understand the rules. Im sorry but I hate these games as think every game should have an easy mode or at least be accessible for everyone.

For me Minecraft is the most overratted game ever made, it's so bad it should not be called a game, it's just a big Lego set with gameplay designed to please a 4 year old, it's a game for people who have no interest whatsoever In gameplay.

• Advertisement

MGS 4 & 5. I'll admit that gameplay wise msg5 has some fun gameplay but as you get further into the game your forced to repeat missions you've already done. The story to both games is absolute garbage which is very sad considering both MGS1 and MGS3 had great story's that stay with you many years later

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Anything at all with Mario in. Just not for me.

Although I love the 3d Mario games I can appreciate they wouldn't be everyones cup of tea but I find it hard to believe that there's even 1 person out there that doesn't think the 2d Mario games are good at the very least

I dont like fifa any more, every year they should just charge €20 to update last year's fifa game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Mario Kart, can't stand it, feels like I've got such little control of both the car and the outcome of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Metal Gear series. Never did anything for me and I could never really fully get into any stealth games aside from Thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Witcher 3, thought it was ok but the combat was poor and got tired of it.

Fallout 3 and 4. Liked them but never got to the end, 4 was a bit of a mess. Same issues with Far Cry 4. GoW is probably the best game I wasn't really into.

Any COD after MW3, really hate them, which is sad because the earlier ones are among my favourite games.

A lot it depends on the setting or world the game is set in, for me I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Have no interest in the Battle Royal genre, so the likes of Fortnite and PUBG don't interest me.

Same goes for Minecraft and the CoD franchises of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Red Dead Redemption. Couldn't get into it like the GTA games.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

Turn based RPG's. Action RPG's can be decent but I don't get the appeal of turn based ones. Don't like strategy games, moba's or battle royale games either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ni No Kuni, Metal Gear solid 4, bioshock infinite and anything by David cage.

They've all got one thing in common that makes me not like them. It's that they're all ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

irishman86 wrote: »
    Destiny for sure, bought it to play with a friend. Played about two hours havent touched it since.
    Fallout apocalypse games dont really appeal to me
    COD although i played the recent one and enjoyed the story. But for playing it online lol no.
    Just Cause
    Far cry
    There is loads that i just went meh
    I don't think Destiny is that popular any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

Struggling to get into Zelda BOTW, which annoys me as I'm a massive Zelda fan. Just feel it's a waste of time wondering around for more than an hour trying to find stuff, particularly after a day at work.

Hated all the COD games
    Far Cry
    Fortnite
    Any AC game.

I'm going to start witcher 3 soon, hope it's worth the hype!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Witcher 3. I know if I did get properly stuck into it I might like it, but having tried twice now, I just really can't be arsed with it. The combat doesn't feel great at all, nothing about the story was dragging me in, the resources and crafting systems seemed annoying, and both times I played it it really felt like I was playing it just in the hopes of liking it rather than actually liking it.

Bloodborne I enjoyed to a point. The combat was good once you got used to it, the level design was good. But again, nothing was making me actually want to play the game other playing it just in the hopes I'd like it. I was playing to progress hoping that something big would happen rather than just the game getting harder or enemies getting bigger. Never played any of the other Souls games but presume they're largely the same.

Most racing games over the past few years. I loved the first two Gran Turismo games, loved a good few Rally games, loved a lot of the Need For Speeds, but since then my tolerance for racing games has just completely plummeted. Have no interest in any GT, NFS or Forza games, or The Crew, or Driveclub etc. And that's even ignoring the microtransaction economies that seem to have infected these types of games.

Horizon Zero Dawn. I thought it was an utter s**tfest. I was hoping the lead character was killed off in the first hour.

edit : Actually i felt the same way about all the characters in the game. Couldn't even bring myself to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Red Dead Redemption. Couldn't get into it like the GTA games.
    Gonna try the new one? Took me awhile to get into as I only played it last year for first time but loved it once I did

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Could never get into any of the MGS or Tomb raider games. Also couldnt get into Rainbow 6 Siege even though I really wanted to

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Gonna try the new one? Took me awhile to get into as I only played it last year for first time but loved it once I did

I might get it for Christmas if the general reaction to it is positive.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

Now that I think about it, I find the Uncharted games overrated. I played and finished the first three so they obviously have something going for them, but they ain't 10/10 masterpieces. They're 7/10 games at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Witcher 2, so disappointing after the original.
    Dragon Age 3. Dragon Age was great, I even liked Dragon Age 2. This one I found boring.
    Mass Effect 2. The combat was absurdly easy on the hardest setting. Can you duck? Then you survive everything. Again a disappointing sequel because I really liked ME.
    World of Warcraft. I tried hard to find what the appeal was. I failed.
    On the fence about Zelda BotW. I like the puzzles. The cooking and repetitive stuff like that is painful though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Destiny 2 endgame right now is fantastic your really missing out, Forsaken is a huge success and brought back massive amounts to the game, endgame quantity and quality is approaching mmo standards now.

Back OT i cant stand fortnite.

Advertisement