Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

everlast75 wrote: »
    You will see from the below that the WH position already is that the FBI report provides nothing in terms of why he should not be nominated. Whether the (incomplete in my opinion) report says so or not remains to be seen

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1047804151743356929

I think that was expected at this stage, especially when they didn't even interview Ford or Kavanaugh.

Only thing that could stop his nomination at this point is if the Dems push hard on whether he committed perjury, but even then whatever Reps were on the fence are probably more likely to just go with the flow now that they have the FBI report to hide behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

If all 50 senators get a copy, it'll almost certainly get leaked, possibly by Booker.

100 Senators will have access. Guaranteed leaks

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

It looks like Grassley and Mitch have safely navigated thru this whole episode.
    For two old fellas, they certainly discovered a new lease of life. Perhaps it was all the leftist activists who were parading and shouting up and down their corridors in the last 3 weeks, that got on their wick and kick started them into a fight back.

It aint over till Kavanaugh has his hand on the bible and is being sworn in. Who knows it may be scuppered , but as of now it looks like a formality. Its certainly been a masterclass by the Senior members of the GOP, right down to Lindsey and his outburst.

No doubt , a momentous event in American politics, one for the ages.
    I think it will translate as a positive for the GOP for the mid-terms, all the vitriol directed at moderates will not be forgotten by the middle of the road voters who help decide elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

RIGOLO wrote: »
    For two old fellas, they certainly discovered a new lease of life. Perhaps it was all the leftist activists who were parading and shouting up and down their corridors in the last 3 weeks, that got on their wick and kick started them into a fight back.

It aint over till Kavanaugh has his hand on the bible and is being sworn in. Who knows it may be scuppered , but as of now it looks like a formality. Its certainly been a masterclass by the Senior members of the GOP, right down to Lindsey and his outburst.

I think it will translate as a positive for the GOP for the mid-terms, all the vitriol directed at moderates will not be forgotten by the middle of the road voters who help decide elections.

You're not one for hyperbole, are you?

As for Lindsey and his outburst, could you address the hypocrisy of his view now, and of his view in 1999 about Judges lying under oath?

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4752833/lindsey-graham-lying-judges

Or how about McConnell and his hypocrisy, accusing the Dems of inordinate delay, when he delayed the nomination process for nearly 300 days when Merrick Garland was nominated?

Because you see, if you don't address the hypocrisy, your posts here will never find any traction. You will have no credibility. They will be viewed simply as propaganda, white noise and ignored accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

A masterclass? Seriously, it has been a total and utter clusterfu3k. They have the numbers to get it through, but they always did, you only have to look at Gorsuch.

For it to have unravelled to such an extent that they were forced to set up a sham investigation just to get thier own members to vote shows how badly they have handled it.

And it all comes from Trump, because forced this pick on them. He could have gone for one of the 25 on the list, but he need to try to protect himself set this sh1tshow in motion.

I agree with you that it will translate well to the base, they love nothing more than to stick one over the liberals. Whether that is nominating a potential pedophile, forcing through with a sham investigation an SCOTUS judge, allowing their leader to hide his tax returns, allow their leader to attack a senior senator from their own ranks.

MAGA by attacking each and every institution and practice that built it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

wrote:

Yeah Lyndsey Graham's Blanche duBois impression was just at the right time to distract from the fact Kavanaugh's own sacred calendar placed him drinking at a party similar to the one described by Ford on a weeknight(when Kavanaugh said he never drank).

Kavanaugh will be confirmed, and he probably will have the revenge he promised.

It really is an odd time in America. A republican juror in the Manafort trial said they all knew he was guilty but one of the other jurors refused to assign guilt because of partisanship. Now you'll have a supreme court judge who has vowed vengeance on a rival political party.
    That's some banana republic stuff.

Not only do I think Trump could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and get away with it, I'd say anyone in a red hat could. So long as the person getting shot was of a differing(and lets face it not very much different) political persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It aint over till Kavanaugh has his hand on the bible and is being sworn in.

It only starts then - the Dems will milk this for 50 years.

It only starts then - the Dems will milk this for 50 years.

starting first with the impeachment of Kavanaugh...

You're not one for hyperbole, are you?

As for Lindsey and his outburst, could you address the hypocrisy of his view now, and of his view in 1999 about Judges lying under oath?

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4752833/lindsey-graham-lying-judges

Or how about McConnell and his hypocrisy, accusing the Dems of inordinate delay, when he delayed the nomination process for nearly 300 days when Merrick Garland was nominated?

Because you see, if you don't address the hypocrisy, your posts here will never find any traction. You will have no credibility. They will be viewed simply as propaganda, white noise and ignored accordingly.

Mitch would probably say he just applied the 'Biden Rule' and theres no hypocrisy.
    The other alternative would be for the Democrats to win the Senate and then they can use their mandate endorsed by the electorate as they see fit.

Its how the process works, constitutional democracy and a triumvirate. I dont see anything wrong with the GOP using the established structures of Government to exercise the wishes of the voters who put them in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

You are right. It's a pretty major event when a Supreme Court Justice is nominated despite outright perjuring himself during his hearing. The threats of retribution also solidifies the partisan nature of the court and it's nomination process going forward. I think we'll be looking at a situation were no nominations will go forward unless a party holds all power as the GOP do now. Not to mention the loss of faith in the SC that will be inevitable after Kavanaughs outbursts.

Tell me, Rigolo, how do you feel about Trump mocking Ford at his rally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I think we'll be looking at a situation were no nominations will go forward unless a party holds all power as the GOP do now. Not to mention the loss of faith in the SC that will be inevitable after Kavanaughs outbursts.

You only need the Senate and the Presidency to get a Supreme Court Appointment through, the House has no say.

Mitch would probably say he just applied the 'Biden Rule' and theres no hypocrisy.
    The other alternative would be for the Democrats to win the Senate and then they can use their mandate endorsed by the electorate as they see fit.

Well, Mitch would say that wouldn't he. There is a difference and he knows it.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/mar/17/context-biden-rule-supreme-court-nominations/

What about Lindsey's hypocrisy regarding lying under oath?
    Its how the process works, constitutional democracy and a triumvirate. I dont see anything wrong with the GOP using the established structures of Government to exercise the wishes of the voters who put them in office.

What if I were to tell you that a Fox pole shows that he is deeply unpopular, in fact, to record levels.

https://twitter.com/foxnewspoll/status/1043855252691329024

Are they the wishes of the voters?

Are they the wishes of the voters?

We will find out on November 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I wonder if the Republicans will drop Kavanaugh rather than appoint him or will the 3 wavering senators decide to vote against their party at this point? Trump once again having a bout of Foot in Mouth syndrome taking shots at Ford certainly isnt gonna help things which is ironic since he picked the nominee. Not only that but the republicans might find this could backfire down the line at some point if they just railroad him through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

One thing to note is that this circus has taken all focus off Russian meddling and GOP voter suppression. I wonder how this will affect the midterms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

One thing to note is that this circus has taken all focus off Russian meddling and GOP voter suppression. I wonder how this will affect the midterms.
    I wouldn't worry about it, this will all be over by the end of next week and we'll all be back talking about the Russia thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pelvis wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it, this will all be over by the end of next week and we'll all be back talking about the Russia thing.

I'm wondering what actually plays better for the Reps in terms of the mid-terms?

If he's confirmed, it potentially boosts Dem turn out & the news cycle does shift back to Trump

If he's not confirmed, it potentially boosts Rep turn out & keeps the focus on the SC. Plus given they're reasonably heavy favourites to keep the senate, they would still get to push someone through later

• Registered Users Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If the senate votes Yea for Judge Kavanaugh, I assume he'll have to be sworn in on the bible by the Chief Justice of the US [unless he opts for the affirmation clause]. That will make for an interesting moment in history. I see that judges on the state supreme courts are sworn into office.

We will find out on November 6th.

That's a general vote.

I've given you specific information on Kavanaugh, provided by fox news.

That's a general vote.

You gave me a POLL.

Whilst POLLs are interesting to fill the lull between elections, they dont actually dictate the outcome.

Like I said November 6th is when we will know what the electorate want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

That's a general vote.

You gave me a POLL.

Whilst POLLs are interesting to fill the lull between elections, they dont actually dictate the outcome.

Does everyone who votes republican want Kavanagh? Does everyone who votes Republican believe the same thing on a range of issues? It seems untrue. See Manic who I think has voted Republican but does not always agree with them.

This is an issue with a binary party system though so whichever wins will claim its views on Kavanagh are the populations. Whether or not that was why they voted for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

So it is more or less a foregone conclusion that the Dems will win the house, the senate is trickier but if they do win both would they dare try and impeach a sitting judge on the supreme court, that would set a dangerous precident.
    American politics is rotten to the core, they have lost all morals and decency, its disgusting really.  They call it the greatest democracy in the world but I can think of at least 30 more than are greater

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Christy42 wrote: »
    Does everyone who votes republican want Kavanagh? Does everyone who votes Republican believe the same thing on a range of issues? It seems untrue. See Manic who I think has voted Republican but does not always agree with them.

This is an issue with a binary party system though so whichever wins will claim its views on Kavanagh are the populations. Whether or not that was why they voted for them.

Whilst I think that is true in a general sense, it is very clear the road that both Trump and the GOP have gone down. They have attacked the FBI, CIA, attacked without any basis their opponents, upturned years of accepted political practice (release tax returns etc), taken issue with the legal system, called into question any official reports that don't agree with them, attacked the media.

So it is clear, now if it wasn't before, that a vote for Trump and/or the GOP means. You may not agree with Kavanaugh appointment, or how he treated Dr Ford, or how Trump continues to lie on a daily basis, but your vote is in effect giving them credibility.

And certain points, the overall weight of the negative needs to be taken into account and one cannot continue to distance themselves from the overall by claiming they only like certain points.

So you may not be sexist, but voting for Trump facilitates the rise of sexism. You may not be racist, but voting for Trump facilitates the rise of racism.

It is too easy for people to simply say that they voted for X because he gets things down in LocalTown, USA and that the rest of the stuff has nothing to do with them. But in reality it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You gave me a POLL.

That's interesting. Last night you posted this rigmarole:

There is NO sign of a BLUE Wave.
    FiveThirtyEight just put out an update on one of the key Congress seats ,and
    its a far tighter race than many would have thought. Theres low single digits between he two candidates. This would be a major upset, for the GOP to win NJ.

Quote:
    Two other recent surveys — one by Vox Populi Communications and one by Stockton University — also showed the race within the low single digits.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...y-senate-seat/

Whats more interesting is the number of UNDECIDED DEMOCRATS.
    Yep after 600 days of the presidency and with all the events that have taken place, there is a significant portion of registered Democrats undecided.

Translate that across the nation, and then factor in the number of people who will lie on the poll, as they will say Democrat but actually vote GOP, (and this is one thing that upset the pollsters in 2016) thats another 1-2% swing. Theres zero evidence of a blue wave, I think all the left have is Hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

So the FBI cleared Kavanaugh
    The Trump 'N word' tapes still haven't shown up
    The Omarosa Tapes are still missing too

What of all the other things that were going to nail him to the wall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

So the FBI cleared Kavanaugh

Looking forward to NY's investigation of his taxes. He could put all of that to bed by publishing his tax returns. That would shut a lot of people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

kilns wrote: »
    would they dare try and impeach a sitting judge on the supreme court, that would set a dangerous precident.

Samuel Chase was impeached in the early 1800s, on grounds of letting his partisan leanings affect his court decisions, but was acquitted by the Senate and remained in office.

So a SC impeachment would not be a precedent.

A successful one would be a precedent, but I don't see how it is dangerous. A judge that provably perjures himself to get a promotion should be impeached.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

If this is a masterclass I'd hate to see them fu<king it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Samuel Chase was impeached in the early 1800s, on grounds of letting his partisan leanings affect his court decisions, but was acquitted by the Senate and remained in office.
    Somehow comfortiing to know that this isn't a new thing. :)

On the other hand, you'd kinda wonder why they didn't reassess how the whole damn thing should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm not sure that many care about those or even believe Omarosa and Tom Arnold, much less expect Trump to be nailed to the wall over them.

The Mueller investigation is still ongoing and the SDNY already has him pegged as an unindicted co-conspirator in Cohen's guilty plea. That hasn't gone away.

Remember Manafort? His campaign manager? He's singing.
    Remember Cohen? His personal lawyer? He's singing.

While it may be easy for you to poopoo the allegations of some unsavoury self promoters, the adults are still investigating and just because you can't see what they're doing, it doesn't mean that they don't exist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement