Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report on most tech-friendly long-haul airlines?

Options
  • 03-10-2018 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭

Which are the world’s most tech-friendly long-haul airlines? You may be surprised

To save you the effort of clicking :D the first 2 are
    First place in the ranking goes to Qatar Airways, chiefly for its Super Wi-fi service that launched earlier this year. It gives passengers speeds of up to 50Mbps. It costs US$10 for unlimited usage per flight, though all passengers get an hour for free.

Emirates grabbed second place in the ranking. It gives each passenger 20MB of free Wi-fi, which must be used within two hours
    Next are Delta, BA and Jet Blue

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I have difficulty understanding why Emirates' wifi would be awarded any accolades. It's hideously slow.

On an A380 I believe there's about 850Kbit shared across the entire aircraft.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

How old is this report? I have not experienced that wifi with Qatar and have taken about 8 flights with them in the last 2 years. Usually its 10mb free and then pay through the nose for it after.

Emirates used to charge $1 for their wifi but then upped the rate a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dohouch wrote: »
    Which are the world’s most tech-friendly long-haul airlines? You may be surprised

To save you the effort of clicking :D the first 2 are Next are Delta, BA and Jet Blue

I don't think the technology currently exists to give 50Mb/s to every passenger on a plane, the bandwidth available from Satellite links is far below that, and only now are they opening up a new range on the spectrum to improve what's possible. Currently ground based systems are better than Satellite systems, but obviously are only available when flying over land and above friendly country i.e. USA not the Atlantic / Pacific etc.

e.g.
    Delta Airline is using GoGo’s 2Ku satellite-based system to offer internet speeds of around 100Mbp/s per plane. Theoretically, over 30 people could be watching Netflix at the same time, and nobody would experience any slowdowns.

American Airline airplanes still use the outdated ATG-4 technology, which delivers only 9.8Mbp/s per plane.

https://thedroidguy.com/2018/09/3-best-flight-wi-fi-internet-airlines-2018-1072784

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

How old is this report? I have not experienced that wifi with Qatar and have taken about 8 flights with them in the last 2 years. Usually its 10mb free and then pay through the nose for it after.

Emirates used to charge $1 for their wifi but then upped the rate a lot.
    Sign up for Emirates Skywards loyalty program. Then you can log in with your Skywards number and get the WiFi for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Dont you have to be Gold or above to get it free on Emirates? I am so not sure :) However as posted above, on the A380s the service is shocking. Pretty good on the 777s that have it, annoyingly they dont all. Was also on a Qatar 777 to Auckland which didn't have it at all which was rather dull. On a Delta flight from DUB to ATL I managed to stream commentary (not video) of a live premier league game without interruption which I was impressed by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It’s amazing how quick we’ve gone from having zero WiFi to having WiFi to complaining about said WiFi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

BigMoose wrote: »
    Dont you have to be Gold or above to get it free on Emirates? I am so not sure :) .

No, even on the lowest tier you get it for free.

Advertisement