Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicle of a race foretold

Options
  • 07-08-2018 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

I've been following the A&R forum and training logs for some time, picking up on the collective wisdom and generally positive vibe of the posters here, and have finally decided to start my own log after somewhat foolishly signing up for the Clew Bay Half Marathon, which will be my first HM and my longest race to date by some distance.

A bit of background: male, 46, very sporty as a youngster but adult life and an office-based job resulted in much reduced activity, although always managed to keep moderately fit through a combination of regular volleyball, the odd hike and long dog walks. Started running again at the beginning of 2016 after entering the Great Ireland Run on a whim. I loosely followed one of their 10k training plans, got to race day feeling fit and strong, and was very pleased to finish the race in what I felt was a creditable sub-50 time and, if memory serves me well, a negative split.

In the process I re-discovered the joy of running and got hooked on parkruns - slowly closing in on 100. Since that first GIR I have kept running on and off, been laid low by the odd niggle, entered a fair few races and lowered my PBs progressively but have struggled to train with enough consistency to make any significant improvements. The first half of 2018 has been particularly barren and lacking in motivation, with many weeks just featuring a measly parkrun, but things have picked up during the summer and I am hoping that keeping a log, together with the perceived peer pressure of an imaginary audience, will help with training consistency and accountability.

Current PBs:

1mi - 06:28 (Sep 2016 - Irish Runner Paced Mile, Morton Stadium)
    5km - 21:11 (Sep 2017 - Twilight Team Challenge, Sandyford)
    5mi - 38:06 (Jun 2016 - Irish Runner 5M, Phoenix Park)
    10km - 45:36 (Apr 2017 - Virgin Media Night Run, Dublin Docklands)

Near-term goals:

Complete the training block for the HM, get to the starting line in one piece and enjoy the experience! Caught inside the training plan is the Lakes 10k, which I had already entered before signing up for Clew Bay and is probably more of a target race than the HM itself. Hopefully the HM training will be a good base for the winter season - last year I really enjoyed taking part in a couple of the BHAA XC races and this time round I'd like to enter a few more if possible.

That's it for now. The next couple of posts will capture the training plan and the runs over the last couple of weeks to bring things up to date.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

The intention was to enter the Clew Bay 10k as an excuse for a long weekend out West but as I was registering I thought 'well, if we're going to go all that way it may as well be for something longer than a 10k', so ended up signing up to the half. Not having run (let alone raced) anything longer than 10k, and not having much of a base this year, it will certainly be a challenge. Note to self: in future do not sign up to races in the afterglow of a sunny morning run.

After a brief online search for a suitable training plan I settled on the Hal Higdon Novice 2 program. I felt that with the amount of running I've been doing over the last few weeks I can just about slot into week 4 of the HH plan and go from there. It's mostly easy runs to build up the distance with the odd pace session and a couple of races thrown in for good measure.

I have re-jigged things slightly to fit my weekly schedule a bit better, breaking up the 3 consecutive days of running (Tue-Thu) in the original plan, and also removed the prescribed weekly cross-training session. I may do the odd cross session but it will be on an ad-hoc basis so no point including it in the plan and keep feeling I'm missing sessions. Leaves me with this:

Week|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday|Mileage
    4 | Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 4 mi run | Rest | 3 mi run | 7 mi run | 17
    5 | Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 4 mi run | Rest | 3 mi run | 8 mi run | 18
    6 | Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 4 mi pace | Rest | 5k race | 3 mi run | 13
    7 | Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 5 mi run | Rest | 3 mi run | 9 mi run | 20
    8 | Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 5 mi pace | Rest | 3 mi run | 10 mi run | 21
    9 | Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 5 mi run | Rest | 3 mi run | 11 mi run | 22
    10 | Rest | 3 mi run | 5 mi pace | Rest | Rest | Lakes 10k | 3 mi run | 17
    11 | Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 5 mi run | Rest | 3 mi run | 12 mi run | 23
    12 | Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 2 mi pace | Rest | Clew Bay HM | Recovery! | 20

The HH plan suggests a 10k race 3 weeks before the HM, however I am signed up to to the Lakes 10k two weeks before the Half. This disrupts the neat progression pattern of the original plan but not too worried about it. The intention is to give the 10k a good crack so I'll probably step things back a bit the days before. I think that 5 mi pace session may turn into something like another easy 3 miler and I'm wondering if I should also shorten the long run the previous week. We'll see closer to the time.

Let's go!

A brief note on paces: I don't want to overthink this and will aim to run the easy runs by feel but in order to have a rough target for the pace runs I entered a recent 4 mile time into the McMillan calculator and it suggests a target HMP of 7:50/mi, which is bang in the middle of their so-called steady-state pace range. I have no intention of taking on the HM at this pace but will use this in training as a rough target.

Plan for the week ahead:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday|Mileage
    Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 4 mi run | Rest | 3 mi run | 7 mi run | 17

Mon 23/7 -- Rest

Tue 24/7 -- Easy 3.5 miles @ 9:22/mi (Avg HR: 143 bpm)

Ran home after volleyball session with a slight detour via Dun Laoghaire to take in the views on a balmy evening.

Wed 25/7 -- Rest

Thu 26/7 -- Easy 4 miles @ 10:06/mi (Avg HR: 142 bpm)

Ran this early afternoon when it was still fairly warm (22-23 ºC). Noticeably slower than Tuesday's run for the same effort level.

Sat 28/7 -- Easy 5.1 miles including Cabinteely parkrun: 3.1 miles @ 9:23/mi (Avg HR: 150 bpm)

Sun 29/7 -- Long run: 5.5 miles @ 11:17/mi (Avg HR: 118 bpm)

Very easy trot with D around the newly-opened Upper Vartry reservoir trail. A bit shorter than the 7 mile run in the plan but a bit wary of increasing the weekly mileage too much and the legs were getting a bit niggly.

Weekly total: 18.1 miles

Plan for the week ahead:

Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 4 mi run | Rest | 3 mi run | 8 mi run | 18

Mon 30/7 -- Rest

Tue 31/7 -- Easy 3.1 miles @ 9:40/mi (Avg HR: 139 bpm)

Ran home after volleyball session.

Wed 1/8 -- Cross-training: 90' ride at leasurely pace.

Thu 2/8 -- Rest

Fri 3/8 -- Easy 4.5 miles @ 9:23/mi (Avg HR: 142 bpm)

A last minute family outing to the cinema pushed this run from Thursday evening to Friday morning. Headed out before breakfast, which is unusual for me, and found it a bit of a slog. Misjudged the distance and ended up running a bit longer than planned.

Sat 4/8 --Cabinteely parkrun. Easy 3.1 miles @ 9:07/mi (Avg HR: 151 bpm)

Started out with the 30' pacer but the legs wanted to pushed on a bit. Still managed to keep it easy the whole way without getting caught up in 'racing' those around.

Sun 5/8 --Cross-training

A volleyball session and a long cycle to Dalkey for a dip off Hawk Cliff meant I didn't get out for the planned long run so it's pushed out to the Bank Holiday Monday and this week ends a little light on miles.

Weekly total: 10.7 miles

Plan for the week ahead:

Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 4 mi pace | Rest | 5k race | 3 mi run | 13

Mon 6/8 -- Long run: 8 miles @ 9:30/mi (Avg HR: 146 bpm)

Decided on an out and back via Clonkeen Park and to the far end of Kilbogget Park, which works out at pretty much 4 miles each way. The way out felt very easy, into a slight breeze which I expected would be a help for the way back. Instead, after the turn at the far end of Kilbogget, the cooling effect of the breeze disappeared and the heat (low 20s) became much more noticeable. Effort level clearly went up a notch at the half-way point but focused on keeping things steady and good form to the end. Glad to end what is my longest run to date.

Splits: 9:28 9:18 9:35 9:24 9:23 9:38 9:35 9:39

Tue 7/8 -- Recovery run: 3.4 mi @ 10:55 (Avg HR: 133 bpm)

Legs felt OK after yesterday's long run so headed out with D for a *very* gentle recovery jog.

Wed 8/8 -- Rest

Thu 9/8 -- Workout: 4 miles @ ~HMP (Avg HR: 160)

Warmed up with an easy mile before picking the pace up to a rough target of 8:00/mi. Once up to speed tried to keep the pace and intensity steady without relying on the watch and was pleased to see the splits were reasonably steady. The effort felt medium to hard, under control and with good form almost to the very end of the 4th pace mile. One easy mile to cool down.

Splits: 9:22 8:06 7:54 7:49 7:56 9:37

Fri 10/8 -- Rest

Sat 11/8 -- Cabinteely parkrun. Easy 3.1 miles @ 9:09/mi (Avg HR: 157 bpm)

The plan suggested a 5k race today but I felt that would be overkill after Monday's long run and Wednesday's workout so instead headed off to Cabinteely for the weekly parkrun. No 30' pacer to stick with today but tried to take it easy nevertheless, although it ended up as more of a progression run with a slight burst up the last hill. Splits: 9:41 - 9:10 - 8:44.

Sun 12/8 -- Rest

Weekly total: 21 miles

• Advertisement

Plan for the week ahead (likely to be re-jigged as the week goes on due to life getting in the way):

Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 5 mi run | Rest | 3 mi run | 9 mi run | 20

Mon 13/8 -- Very easy 3.5 miles @ 11:14/mi (Avg HR: 132 bpm)

Out with D for a few random easy miles around the park.

Tue 14/8 -- Orienteering event in Cabinteely Park: 4.2 hilly miles @ 9:25/mi (Avg HR: 160 bpm)

Something different for a change. Discovered by chance that 3ROC were hosting one of their Summer Series events in Cabinteely so decided to give it a go. My last foray into orienteering must have been about 20 years ago but still remember it fondly. Anyway ... registration was straightforward and after a couple of brief instructions off I went map in hand. Cue 40 minutes criss-crossing the park, up and down the evil hills. It was a hard workout and the legs are feeling it the next day but very good fun. The only slight disappointment was that somehow I managed to miss one of the early controls so technically it was a DNF. :(

Shout out to 3ROC for putting together a very friendly and inclusive event, which seemed well attended with plenty of young kids and families tackling the short course version. Also nice to see how orienteering has moved on with the times; gone are the old needle punches, replaced with electronic timing devices that allow you to get a printout with your result as soon as you finish. The final event results also include time splits between each of the controls for every participant, an almost cruel amount of data for the obsessive to pour over after the event. Still, the shiny new tech hasn't changed one bit the challenge of combining map reading, navigation and running.

Must try this again before another 20 years go by.

Clew Bay HM - Week 7/12 continued

Wed 15/8 -- Rest

Thu 16/8 -- Very easy 3.2 miles @ 11:12/mi (Avg HR: 123 bpm)

Just a few laps of the local playing fields with D at dusk.

Fri 17/8 -- Rest

Sat 18/8 -- Poolbeg parkrun: 3.1 miles easy @ 9:11/mi (Avg HR: 160 bpm)

After hitting the Cabinteely hills twice already earlier in the week, headed out to Poolbeg for a change of scene on what was a rather muggy morning. Tried to keep effort easy throughout although I did pick it up a tad in the last mile. Followed up with a few S&C exercises once I got home.

Sun 19/8 -- Long run: 6.6 miles @ 10:40/mi (Avg HR: 135 bpm)

Another warm and humid morning. Had to cut this a bit short of the planned 9 miles as other commitments got in the way. Not ideal but at least the weekly mileage total was on target.

Weekly total: 20.6 miles

Plan for the week ahead:

Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 5 mi pace | Rest | 3 mi run | 10 mi run | 21

Mon 20/8 -- Rest

Tue 21/8 -- Easy 3 miles @ 9:29/mi (Avg HR: 140 bpm)

Legs had been feeling quite good the last couple of days but this run was a bit of a slog, maybe as a result of the late hour and a full dinner not long before.

Wed 22/8 -- Rest

Thu 23/8 -- Rest

Fri 24/8 -- Workout: 1 mi w/u, 4 x 1 mi + 2 mi @ 10k pace with 4' recovery jog, 1 mi c/d (Total: 9.6 miles)

I've been doing lots of easy miles but with the 10k race a couple of weeks away I felt I needed a bit of race pace in the legs. The plan was to do this workout Thursday evening but I felt too tired and postponed it to Friday morning, heading out early before breakfast. The aim was a pace of 7:15 - 7:20 per mile and initially the intention was 6 x 1 mile reps with recovery jogs in between. The first three reps were not far off target even though they were clearly becoming increasingly difficult but the fourth one really knackered me. At that point I decided to increase the recovery jog to 5' and try a sustained effort for the last couple of miles. The reasoning was partly to replicate race conditions and partly to get the session over and done with a bit sooner. I knew I wouldn't be able to hit the target pace so didn't really look at the watch for the last two miles and instead focused on just trying to hit them hard and sustain the effort all the way to the end.

Slightly disappointed that the last 3 reps were so far off the target pace, and not convinced that mitigating circumstances like the fairly stiff breeze, the early hour (HR hardly getting above 160) and the grass surface can fully account for the gap. The outcome of the session casts some doubt on whether going sub 45' on a challenging course in a couple of weeks is achievable but on the plus side it was good to persevere and get through a tough session, which was really a mental workout as much as a physical one.

Splits: 9:23 w/u - 7:17 7:24 7:24 7:45 [7:52 7:49] - 11:09 c/d

Sat 25/8 -- Cabinteely parkrun: 3.1 miles easy @ 9:38/mi (Avg HR: 145 bpm)

Sun 26/8 -- Rest

Didn't manage to get out for the long run so a bit of a step-back week in the end, which is OK.

Weekly total: 15.7 miles

Plan for the week ahead:

Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 5 mi run | Rest | 3 mi run | 11 mi run | 22

Mon 27/8 -- Long run: 10.5 miles @ 9:50/mi (Avg HR: 145 bpm)

Another run that slipped from the previous day. Headed out early in the morning but this time had some breakfast on board. A beautiful morning for a run: fresh but not cold, partly sunny, a slight breeze. Took things nice and handy but bearing in mind Clew Bay is a hilly course I threw in a few hills in Cabinteely Park between miles 5 and 8. Finished the run in good shape feeling I could have carried on a bit longer; actually much better than the 8 miler from three weeks ago.

Splits: 9:43 9:32 9:38 10:03 10:26 9:44 10:43 10:08 9:25 9:14 (4:37)

Tue 28/8 -- Recovery run: 3 miles @ 9:53/mi (Avg HR: 130 bpm)

Legs still feeling yesterday's long run a bit so let them dictate an easy pace without worrying about the watch at all.

Wed 29/8 -- Rest

Thu 30/8 -- Very easy 3.2 miles @ 11:43/mi

A busy day at work left no room for a planned workout so just got out late in the evening for a slow leg-stretch with D around the local parks.

Fri 31/8 -- Rest

Sat 1/9 -- Workout: 5.2 miles including Cabinteely parkrun @ steady pace 7:49/mi (Avg HR: 163 bpm)

Having missed out Thursday's planned workout and after a few easy/rest days in a row the intention was to do a parkrun 'at pace' however, with the next long run looming, didn't want to go too hard either so settled on a steady HMP (~8:00/mi). Shanganagh was the intended destination but I left the house too late and ended up in Cabinteely again, where one of the speedy runners had decided to pace 25' today and that would provide the perfect target. Felt like the pacer set off a bit fast (easily done in Cabinteely with the downhill start) so let him go but kept him in sight. The steady pace felt comfortable and found myself slowly creeping up to the pacer and pushing past him around the 2 mile mark. Kept honest all the way to the end for a decent workout followed by another mile to cool down.

Sun 2/9 -- Long run: 6.2 miles @ 11:18/mi (Avg HR: 125 bpm)

After clocking up enough miles earlier in the week I didn't intend to get out today and was planning to shift the 11 mile long run to Monday morning, however an outing to Wicklow was unavoidable on such a nice sunny day. Took it nice and easy around the Lower Vartry reservoir trail, which is almost exactly a 10k loop. Considered extending the run a bit to get to at least 9 miles but was wary of overdoing things given the mileage increase this week and the workout the day before so decided this would do for the week. Spent a few minutes soaking in the sunshine and giving the legs a rest in the cool water, when the sight of two chaps in full scuba diving gear walking past us and disappearing into the water provided a somewhat bizarre end to the afternoon.

Weekly total: 28.1 miles

Plan for the week ahead:

Rest | 5 x 400m @ 5k pace | 1-3 mi run | Rest | Rest | Lakes 10k | Rest | 10-12

Modified the original plan for this week with The Lakes 10k race in mind: one (small) speed session to get some zip in the legs, one short easy run and plenty of rest.

Mon 3/9 -- No running. First volleyball training session of the season.

Tue 4/9 -- Workout: 1.5km w/u, 5 x 400m @ 5k pace with 1' recovery jog, 1.5km c/d

The objective was to do a mini workout to get some speed into the legs ahead of Saturday's race without making it too taxing. Target pace was 1:44-1:47 per lap so about 7:00-7:10/mile. Headed out at lunch time to one of the local playing fields and managed to hit the target pace reasonably comfortably despite the headwind on one of the straights. Total of 3.7 miles.

Splits: 8:33 w/u - 1:42 1:44 1:44 1:44 1:40 - 8:40 c/d

Second volleyball session during the evening. Suddenly noticed my left leg was very sore, mainly around the glute and hip area. Alarm bells going off and can't really tell if it's as a result of the increased running activity over the last few days, anything I did during the earlier volleyball session or the fact I've been chopping and changing runners quite a bit, including a couple of test workouts with a new pair of Brooks Racer ST5. In any case, the only course of action is to stop running for a couple of days and see if the soreness goes away.

Wed 5/9 -- No running

Thu 6/9 -- No running

Fri 7/9 -- Easy 2.1 miles @ 9:40/mi (Avg HR: 135 bpm)

Headed out first thing for a few easy laps of the local green to test things out. The leg seems to have settled down so, fingers crossed, all systems go for Blessington.

• Advertisement

Sat 8/9 - The Lakes 10k (Blessington, Co. Wicklow)

Pre Race

I had a score to settle with this course. After reading good things about this race I entered last year's event on the back of a few weeks of solid training, feeling in good shape and confident that a sub-45 finish was achievable. (This was not entirely unrealistic as I went on to set my 5k PB of 21' and change a couple of weeks later.) On the day, however, I fell off the pace after 5k, struggled over the hill and painfully finished outside 46'. The post mortem suggested perhaps not enough endurance training but clearly pointed to the mental breakdown at the halfway mark.

Registered for this year's event determined to avenge last year's experience but left the training a bit late and, come race day, I was feeling a bit apprehensive about my chances. Although I have been doing higher mileage than usual over the last few weeks in preparation for the HM, it's on top of a weak base and the one workout I attempted at the target 10k pace found me a bit wanting.

Same strategy as last year: aim to stay with the 45' pacers all the way to the top of the hill then try to push on a bit from there over the last 3 km. Goal A: sub-45. Goal B: 10k PB (45:36). Goal C: improve on last year's time.

Got to Blessington with D in plenty of time to collect our race numbers, get ready and do a bit of a warm up and stretching while the Half Marathon (starting 15' ahead of the 10k) was getting underway. Conditions were reasonably good: the earlier rain had cleared and although the sun was trying to peek through the clouds it would stay fairly cool but humid throughout. A couple of last-minute strides trying not to feel out of place alongside some of the club runners who would be at the sharp end and we were called to the starting line. Slotted in behind the two 45' pacers and was chatting to one of them about their intended strategy when suddenly a single blow of an air horn sent us on our way. I completely missed the starting line (no gantry and didn't notice a timing mat) so ended up starting my watch late. Quite late as it turned out, as my lap alerts were buzzing a good 70-80 meters after the km markers and my final watch time was about 20 seconds short of the chip time.

KM 1-5

No congestion to worry about given the fairly small field and straightaway tagged onto the back of the small group that formed around the 45' pacers. Initially the pace felt surprisingly easy and comfortable (even managed to take in some of the scenery) but the effort increased steadily as we were making our way over the rolling country roads. One or two people falling off the group and a headphone-clad runner, in his own bubble and completely oblivious of those around him, cutting right across my running line and forcing me to check my stride the only things to note.

After about 3 km the pacers started pulling away as we were heading towards a more significant drag ahead and very quickly a wave of negative thoughts started swirling around my head: 'you're falling off the pace even earlier than last year', 'clearly the sub-45 was never realistic', 'no shame in stopping' ... Somehow I managed to keep the negativity at bay and keep going but the next 2 km were a tough grind. The pace group had pulled ahead but was still in sight and, crucially, the knowledge that the course would soon turn more favourable really helped to hang on. Later, looking at the Strava splits from one of the pacers, it's clear that on this section they had lifted the pace to a metronomical 4:25/km in order to bank a bit of time before the hill and I had just struggled to do likewise.

4:33 4:23 4:30 4:34 4:31

KM 6-9

Water station just after the halfway mark. Declined the offer of a water bottle as I wasn't really thirsty and, although it was humid and could have done with a bit of water over my head, I didn't want the distraction and instead decided to focus on keeping the effort going. Sharp right turn immediately after the water station and the cheering from a small group of noisy supporters was a real boost - amazing what even the smallest bit of encouragement can do. Almost instantly the pace lifted, helped no doubt by the next km being mostly downhill towards the Liffey. This is the section where the wheels came off last year but this time it felt like the bad patch was behind me.

Over the river and onto the dreaded hill shortly after the 6 km marker. Told myself 'this is where you cash in all the training runs in Cabinteely park', made a conscious decision not to look too far ahead and just focused on driving up the hill hard. Breading very heavily at this stage, passed quite a few runners on the incline and I don't think I was passed so the approach seemed to work. After cresting the hill I was fairly spent and took a bit longer than planned to recover, allowing two of the runners I had overtaken to pass me again. In hindsight, at this point I should have made more of an effort to try and go with them as they both finished well inside 45' and would have probably towed me back to the pace group.

After recovering from the hill I managed to lift the pace again into the low 4:20s for the next couple of km, which are a combination of flat and steadily downhill sections as the course makes its way back down towards the starting area. I was working hard and passing plenty of runners here; mostly half marathoners I suppose but the psychological boost from overtaking was still effective. With the watch out of sync it was difficult to tell if I was on target or not but I could see I was gaining on the two yellow balloons and at this point I really felt confident that I would slowly reel them in.

Despite the effort and hurt involved this was the most enjoyable section of the race. In my mind's eye I was flying along, eating up the ground with every stride and the sub-45 was definitely on. Haven't done many 10k races but it was the first time I've experienced such a feeling at a stage in the race when I would normally be dying inside - a feeling of joy is the only way I can describe it. How is that even possible after almost quitting a few km earlier?

4:21 5:04 4:22 4:23

Last KM

The last km is a bit of a blur but I distinctly remember it felt really hard in contrast. At some point the road took a turn and suddenly there was a noticeable headwind combined with what felt like an interminable uphill drag. I hadn't quite managed to close the gap and was now a bit isolated, still working hard but losing ground again and not really able to kick for home.

Passed the 500m to go sign and the finish line still nowhere in sight. Keep pushing. Slight downhill to the small bridge ahead but how far still to the finish line? I had warmed up on that section of the road but could just not recall. Finally it came into view as I was rounding the last bend. Slight moment of disbelief as I initially misread the clock under the gantry and thought I was outside 46' again but thankfully the 6 became a 5 as I got closer. Crossed the line just behind the pacers with 45:17 or so on the race clock. I knew I'd have a few seconds in hand on my chip time but surely not that many.

Had to take a few moments to catch my breath before I could exchange a few words with one of pacers to thank them for providing a target to aim for throughout the race. They both really nailed the job, coming in just a handful of seconds inside the 45' target time.

4:09 (0.93 km) - probably more like 4:30 for the last full km.

Post Race

Hung around the finish line cheering on other finishers while waiting for D to come in (comfortably inside 60') then a light jog to cool down as my legs were starting to cramp. Changed into dry gear and enjoyed one of the famous blueberry muffins with a nice cup of tea, feeling on a bit of a high after the race. The results were available online before we even left the car park and confirmed my suspicion that I'd be just outside the target but was good for a PB at 45:10.

Yes, ever so slightly disappointed to miss out on Goal A by a small margin and to have faded a bit in the last km but really pleased to walk away with what I felt was a hard-earned PB on a challenging course and, perhaps more importantly, very satisfied with the manner in which I got through the rough patch in the middle of the race. Score settled and a real confidence boost that things are heading in the right direction. The sub-45 is there for the taking on a kinder course.

A couple of things to think about: firstly, maybe next time try I should try running alongside the pacers as opposed to just behind as it may be easier to stay with the group if/when the pace changes; secondly, the ability to lift the pace and put in a slight surge at key moments is probably something to work on.

A final note on the event. This is a well organised race by the local running club on a very nice and challenging course (closed rolling country roads, testing hill) that attracts a relatively small field with a good range of abilities from elite to casual runners. Will surely be back at some stage.

Chip time: 45:10 (PB)
    Position: 58/289 (18th M40)
    Splits: (skewed by delayed watch start)
    4:33 4:23 4:30 4:34 4:31 4:21 5:04 4:22 4:23 4:09 (0.93 km)

Went on a bit but, hey, it's the excitement of a first race report. :)

Sun 9/9 -- No running.

Strained lower back replacing a flat tyre with the inadequately small wrench that came with the car. Wasn't planning on running for a couple of days but with the lingering hip niggle to worry about I could really do without the sore back.

Weekly total: 13.4 miles

Plan for the week ahead:

Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 5 mi run | Rest | 3 mi run | 12 mi run | 23

The original plan for this week has me jumping back to four sessions a week but between recovering from the race and the various niggles I think I'll be happy to get out for one or two easy runs in addition to the long run, which should be unmissable and the crucial session ahead of next week.

Mon 10/9 -- No running

Fairly intense volleyball training session. Haven't had one of these for a while. Good aerobic workout.

Tue 11/9 -- No running

A more casual volleyball session today. Body a bit creaky after yesterday's exploits.

Wed 12/9 -- No running

Thu 13/9 -- Easy 3.2 miles @ 9:36/mi (AvgHR: 146 bpm)

Finally managed to get out for a few easy miles on grass to test the body after the race. Legs wanted to go and had to make a deliberate effort to keep the pace handy. Nice to be back in the fresh air again.

Fri 14/9 -- Very easy 5.1 miles @ 11:01/mi (AvgHR: 135 bpm)

Headed out with D for a few miles around Cabinteely. Still in recovery mode after the race so happy with the very easy pace.

Sat 15/9 -- No running. Volleyball tournament.

Sun 16/9 -- Long run: 12 mi @ 10:01/mi in 2:00:20 (AvgHR: 145 bpm)

Nice sunny late afternoon for a run, warm with a slight breeze. Headed out with the intention of covering the 12 miles in around 2 hours and the average was spot on. First half of the run nice and easy, mostly flat and on grass in Kilbogget Park, then a bit of climbing for the next couple of miles to get across Cabinteely Park and onto Foxrock. Pace recovered fine after the climb and was feeling grand all the way to the end of mile 10 then suddenly the run became a plod, form went out the window, shoulders felt tight and even the runners started bothering me. The Kipchoge-like fluidity of the earlier miles turned into a slog for the last couple of miles. :)

Lack of nutrition or hydration is probably the explanation. I have been wondering about how to approach this for the HM and, as an experiment, deliberately decided to head out without any water but with a bit of dried fruit in my back pocket to be taken at mile 10. Clearly too late and will need to manage this differently during the race next week. Slightly uncharted territory.

Lower back still a bit sore but not too noticeable during the run.

Splits:
    9:37 9:40 9:49 9:42 9:45 9:52
    10:17 11:13 10:07 9:46 10:14 10:08

Weekly total: 20.3 miles

This is it - race week:

Rest | 3 mi run | Rest | 2 mi pace | Rest | Clew Bay HM | Recovery! | 20

Mon 17/9 -- No running. Volleyball training.

Tue 18/9 -- No running

Too fatigued after yesterday's session so the easy 3 miles parked for the next day.

Wed 19/9 -- No running

Storm Ali, a long day at work and some other stuff conspired to stop me from running again.

Thu 20/9 -- Easy-ish 4 miles @ 9:05/mi (AvgHR: 139 bpm)

Finally managed to get out for a few easy/med miles including a mile or so at MP in the middle. Plenty of debris to negotiate after the storm.

Fri 21/9 -- No running

A walk to stretch the legs after the long drive to Westport turned into a two-hour hike around Murrisk and the foothills of Croagh Patrick. No ill effects. Large bowl of pasta and a sneaky beer to round the day off. Forecast looking good for tomorrow.

Sat 22/9 -- Clew Bay Half Marathon (Louisburgh, Co. Mayo)

Pre Race

This race was always going to be a venture into unknown territory, both in terms of the course and the distance (10k being my longest race to date). The outcome of the race in Blessington a fortnight before gave me confidence that I was in reasonably good shape but I wanted to ensure my maiden half marathon was an enjoyable experience, so I decided against chasing a specific time and opted instead for a conservative approach: go with the 2h pacers until about halfway then assess the situation and go from there. Anything inside 2h would be great - just don't crash and burn during your first half marathon.

Between one thing and another ended up a bit pushed for time and only managed a shortened warm up: barely a 1k jog and a few rushed stretches whilst listening to the organisers' brief instructions before the start. Wished D good luck for her 10k (starting 30' after the half) and followed the group to the starting line just a couple of hundred metres up the hill from the finish area. Slotted in next to the 2h pacers and a couple of minutes later we were on our way, past the chearing crowd gathered to see us off.

After wondering what character-building weather we might get out West in late September, conditions on the day were absolutely perfect: cool, overcast and no wind to speak of.

Miles 1-5

Having studied the course profile on Strava I expected the first half of the course would be mostly uphill and so it proved; not a very steep incline but a steady climb all the way to the highest point on the course around the 5 mile mark. With that in mind, resisted the temptation to push ahead when the early pace felt too easy and stuck with the 2h pacers, who were doing a great job setting a steady tempo for the small group of 10 or 12 hopefuls that had gathered around them.

This section of the race was all about keeping things nice and controlled, maintaining the effort on the uphill and making the most of the easier sections, and all the while enjoying the fabulous scenery south of Louisburgh. About 3 miles in I picked up a discarded water bottle and started taking small sips every now and then. After doing all my long training runs without any kind of fluid or fuel intake, I decided to play it safer on race day and ensure I stayed at least well hydrated throughout.

9:01 9:02 9:03 8:56 9:05

Miles 6-11

After 5 miles the course takes a 90-degree turn right and heads west onto a downhill section. Immediately, and almost unconsciously, the pace increased slightly and 3 or 4 of us found ourselves drifting ahead, at which point the pacer that had gone with us decided to pull back and get back on pace. As I was feeling comfortable I decided to keep going at the slightly faster pace but at the same time tried not to get carried away because I knew there would be some more climbing to do before halfway.

The couple of miles after the halfway point are downhill and in this section I allowed myself to start picking up the pace a bit more. I was feeling good and started to overtake people, including the few runners that had drifted ahead of the 2h pace group, although I was still wary of overdoing things with quite a few miles still left to come.

Shortly before the 8 mile mark I decided to break the cardinal rule of not trying anything new on race day, shoved a few gummy bears into my mouth and let them disintegrate slowly, washing them down with sips of water over the course of the next few miles. I had taken a handful of gummy bears in my back pocket to be taken in case of an emergency but as the effort level was increasing I decided to get proactive and experiment. It's hard to tell what impact they had or what would have happened if I hadn't taken them but there were no ill effects and probably they helped a little bit.

After 8.5 miles the course takes a sharp right turn and heads northeast back towards Louisburgh. Two things became immediately obvious after the turn: a slight but noticeable headwind and a long drag ahead with a strung out file of runners all the way up the road as far as I could make out. At this point the competitive instinct had taken over and there was no question about what to do: keep the pace going, target the next runner ahead, pass decisively, rinse, repeat. Managed a steady effort for the next few miles, lost count of how many runners I was overtaking but all the while was half-expecting the wheels to come off.

8:42 8:38 8:11 8:18 8:14 8:24

Miles 12-13.1

Once I got to 11 miles I finally felt confident I would make it to the finish in one piece and, for the first time, I checked my running time: 1h35 and change. Could I squeeze in just inside 1h50? Probably not but, hey, let's give it a lash. Somehow the legs found another gear, although I could feel things were getting a bit tight. Onto the last mile and yet another drag to be dealt with before the final sweeping bend back into Louisburgh and a fast downhill stretch to the line, overtaking all the way and finishing strong with the clock showing 1:50:xx.

7:28 7:14 (0:30)

Post Race

Needed a few moments to catch my breath after the fast finish before I could catch up with D, who was feeling very pleased with her 10k and, as we found out later, had actually managed to bag a decent PB on what by all accounts is also a very challenging course. Watched a few of the finishers and was pleased to see the pacers come in bang on target with just a handful of seconds to spare. Managed a short jog to cool down before tucking into the wonderful spread on offer.

Spent the rest of the afternoon cycling around Westport before going for a slap up meal in a local pub. The cycling must have helped with the recovery because I was expecting the legs to be in bits the following day but they felt absolutely fine and even managed a couple of hours of hilly cycling in Achill before heading back to the big smog.

Very pleased with the outcome. Thoroughly enjoyed the half marathon distance, which was the main objective, and even felt I ended up having raced it more than I perhaps expected if that makes sense. Not having a time target and a conservative approach definitely paid off this time in my opinion. Will now take a break from running for a few days to ensure I'm well recovered (lower back still a bit sore) and to plan the next episode.

Chip time: 1:50:40
    Position: 80/188 (39th M40)
    Splits: 9:01 9:02 9:03 8:56 9:05 8:42 8:38 8:11 8:18 8:14 8:24 7:28 7:14 (0:30)
    Avg pace: 8:28/mi
    Avg HR: 159 bpm

Sun 23/9 -- No running

A couple of hours cycling along the hilly coastal roads of Achill. Another beautiful if breezier day and some seriously steep ramps to be negotiated, which the legs didn't seem to have any complaints about.

Weekly total: 18.5 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Well done, a great first Half.

Mulberry wrote: »
    Well done, a great first Half.

Thanks ... and you have the honour of leaving the first comment on this log! :)

Sat 29/9 -- Easy 5.1 miles including Cabinteely parkrun @ 9:17/mi (Avg HR: 146 bpm)

Itching to get out again after an entire week without any running and having been kept busy with a house move - an active recovery of sorts. Saturday morning and with the park now practically on my doorstep there was only ever going to be one destination. Approached today very much as a systems check to see where the body stood; a few creaks and groans but eventually things fell into place and had a very enjoyable run on what was a gorgeous morning. Good vibe in Cabinteely with Crusaders having taken over the parkrun today.

Weekly total: 5.1 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Nicely done. SIL ran that one a couple of years back. You certainly didn't pick an easy one for your first half :D

Nicely done. SIL ran that one a couple of years back. You certainly didn't pick an easy one for your first half :D

Thanks. Certainly a challenging course but perhaps not as bad as I had imagined, and luckily the conditions turned out to be perfect; if storm Ali had hit a couple of days later it would have been an entirely different story! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Well done on the HM! What's next, or have you thought that far ahead?

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Well done on the HM! What's next, or have you thought that far ahead?

Thanks. A timely question, as I have actually been giving my next move a fair bit of thought over the last few days. I find that without the focal point of a target race and a plan around it my commitment tends to wane and it's very easy to get out less and less. It's nearly a fortnight since the Half and I've been out twice, which is fine because some downtime is necessary and I needed to nurse a couple of stubborn niggles, but I can see the trend easily continuing.

For the time being I'm seeing my foray into the HM distance as a bit of a one-off and I'd like to concentrate on improving my 5k/10k times or, if anything, go even shorter and give middle distance a crack. In the short term I am thinking of targeting the Jingle Bells 5k with the aim of taking a good chunk off my PB and get as close to 20' as possible. There are exactly 8 weeks to go, which is perfect to fit a distance-specific plan into it.

After that, if the body is still game, I would really like to find the commitment to build a good base over the winter months for a change, incorporating as many of the BHAA XC events as possible, to set me up for whatever comes in the spring. Then, who knows, I have a couple of ideas but nothing definite yet - need to see how the next 3 or 4 months go before getting too carried away.

Thu 4/10 -- Easy-Med 5 miles @ 9:48/mi (Avg HR: 145 bpm)

Headed out before breakfast with the intention to run a few random loops around the Park and ended up alternating easy and hilly miles. Struggled a bit with the second hill but kept plugging away and the last mile turned into a bit of a plod. Turned out to be a harder workout than the easy run I had in mind when setting off. Splits: 9:27 10:02 9:21 10:17 9:56

Sat 6/10 -- 5.4 miles including Cabinteely parkrun @ 7:35/mi (Avg HR: 160 bpm)

Beautiful crisp morning for a run. Today I felt really good during a very easy warm-up, including a couple of strides thrown in for good measure, and was debating whether to start near the front with the sharpish folks but was caught out by the RD starting us off while I was chatting to the tail walker, so that meant a start from the back. Decided to run by feel and steadily worked my way through the field at what felt like a decent pace but it took me a lap and a bit to catch up with the 25' pacer, who seemed to be slightly ahead of schedule. Stuck with him until the end of the 2nd lap then, feeling comfortable, decided to push on a bit and enjoyed a tussle with one of the regulars who likes to surge when overtaken. Often he'll get the better of me but today it was my day, although it took me a couple of goes to drop him - good practice for a future race. Still feeling strong caught up with a group of three runners ahead and unsuccessfully tried to get a bit of shelter from the breeze along the more exposed section of the course before pressing on past them and onto the final climb. It felt like a good solid workout without being an all out effort so was a bit surprised to discover afterwards on Strava that it was my fastest time ever for the long lap (by a couple of seconds) and I had equalled my PR on the climb segment. A warm-down mile rounded off the morning.

Sun 7/10 -- Easy 5.1 miles @ 9:35/mi (Avg HR: 139 bpm)

A few easy miles, mostly on grass, to round off the week. Legs felt a little heavy.

Weekly total: 15.5 miles

Better post this without further delay ... Next target race will be Donore's Jingle Bells 5K on 1 December, aiming to lower my 21:11 PB and to get as close to 20' as possible. With eight weeks to go there's a good bit of time for a build up. I wasn't taken by any of the ready-made plans so have put together something a bit more bespoke based on the advice in some of the 5k-specific posts here. Will try to follow the following weekly structure (adjusted on the fly to work around real life):

Monday | No running (VB training).
    Tuesday | Interval session. Starting with 400m intervals and building up to a session consisting of 3 x 1 mile @ race pace a couple of weeks out from race day.
    Wednesday | Easy run
    Thursday | Workout. Typically a tempo run or perhaps hill repeats. Replaced by an easy run on XC race weeks.
    Friday | Rest
    Saturday | Easy run. Replaced by the BHAA XC races on a couple of specific dates.
    Sunday | LSR. Build up to 10 miles 2 or 3 weeks into the plan and stay there.

It's one additional session per week compared to the HM plan so we'll see if that is feasible or not. Expect weekly mileage will be in the 20-25 mile range; a bit on the low side perhaps but I think that is the volume I can manage at present. Mental note to try and incorporate a few strength/flexibility sessions along the way.

Mon 8/10 -- VB training.

Tue 9/10 -- 3.6 miles easy @ 9:15/mi (unreliable HR measurement)

Ran home after volleyball session. Not the most exciting route but a good way of clocking a few easy miles on a mild evening.

Wed 10/10 -- XT?

No running today but cycled in and out of work: a 14 mile round-trip in about 1h. Usually this is taken fairly easy but today I was a bit pushed for time on the way back and had to give it some welly, so we'll count it in as a XT session.

Fri 12/10 -- 3.1 miles very easy @ 10:47/mi (unreliable HR measurement)

Garmin playing up again. Usually I wear it fairly tight on my wrist but lately it goes through patches when it's measuring over 200 bpm during easy-paced runs.

Sat 13/10 -- 5.1 miles including Shanganagh parkrun @ 6:48/mi (Avg HR: 169 bpm) -- New 5k PB

After the Teachers XC race was cancelled I decided to take the opportunity to give a parkrun a good lash to get a good indication of what shape I'm in. Based on my recent 10k PB I expected my 5k time would be around 21:30 give or take a few seconds. Headed down to Shanganagh Park on what was a fairly wet morning as I didn't want the Cabinteely hills to skew the experiment. Coincidentally, the 3 times I've run Shanganagh parkrun have all been in very wet conditions. Decided to complete the experiment by running entirely by feel and, although I still used my watch to track my time and splits, I turned off all alarms, set it to display time of day and resolved not to even glance at it during the run.

Started a few rows from the front and went out hard but not all-out, slowly picking off a few other runners over the first km, at which point a very strong buggy runner who had started from the back went past and surged ahead. Onto the first long lap trying to keep the pace steady, overtook another few runners as the course goes around the first playing field and with 2 km gone I was working hard but feeling comfortable. Passed another couple of runners early on in the 3rd km and was closing in on buggy runner when suddenly he went straight ahead across a small patch of woodland, cutting out a slight dogleg in the tarmac path. I followed out of inertia, wondering if the course had been modified since I was last here, as a marshall was making its way over to block off that particular junction but the few moments hesitating about which way to go killed my momentum and the two runners I had overtaken shortly before were right on my tail again, so not much gained from the slight shortcut. Finally caught up with buggy runner as we were aproaching the end of the second lap and got around him shortly afterwards, as a youngster was calling out split times at the 3k mark: twelve thirty-something ... or was it forty-something? Didn't really worry about it that much but sounded decent enough.

Halfway through the 4th km the view opens up and I could make out what looked like a lone leader on the opposite side of the playing field, a group of 3 or 4 runners some distance behind, then another gap to a loose group of 3 still some distance ahead of me. With both lapped runners and walkers on the course I couldn't be sure it was an exact count but it looked like I was top 10, which gave me a bit of a boost at a point when I was really starting to feel the effort. The thought that this was the only workout of the week, combined with the possibility of making up a few places, helped me to keep pushing through this section.

Onto the final km and the 3 ahead were slowly coming back to me but it wasn't until 400m to go or so, with the finish line in sight, that I was close enough to do anything about it. Got past two of them, heard footsteps behind me so picked up the pace and got onto the shoulder of the third of them, then a decisive kick to get past and sprint to the line. For all I know the other lads might have been on their Saturday morning stroll but I was on a mission. :)

The finish token said 6th place and my watch said 20:44 ... woo-hoo! Later on the official results would surprisingly bring this down to 20:38. Regardless of the actual time, delighted with the run and no doubt this was my fastest 5k to date, so a new PB (perhaps with a small asterisk against it) but the main conclusion of the day is that a 20' attempt at Jingle Bells seems like a realistic target. Plenty of hard work to be done between now and then but this result is great motivation. Clearly I'm still at a stage when even modest amounts of consistent training translate into improvements.

Splits: 6:49 6:57 6:41 0:16

Sun 14/10 -- No (meaningful) running.

First volleyball match of the season. The intention was to get out for a long run later in the day but it didn't happen in the end, which leaves me a bit low on mileage for the week, so I'll cheekily include the one easy warm-up mile before the match.

Weekly total: 12.9

Mon 15/10 -- Long run: 1h easy - 6.3 miles @ 9:40/mi (Avg HR: 141 bpm)

Spillover from previous week. Nice morning to be out and about. Incipient sore throat didn't seem to have much of an impact on the run. VB training session in the evening.

Tue 16/10 -- No running

The intention was to run home after VB and get a few easy miles in but plans changed and ended up having to drive, then was too tired when I got home so canned the run.

Wed 17/10 -- Workout: 15' easy + 10' @ 10k pace + 15' easy

For the tempo section of the workout I found a flatish loop on the lower part of Cabinteely Park, the first half of the loop mostly a gradual uphill into a fair breeze and the second half the opposite. As the target pace I had in mind something in the 7:00-7:15/mi range. Hard work and glad to complete the 2nd loop and get back to the easier pace. Total of 4.6 miles in 40'. Avg pace for each section: 9:11/mi 7:15/mi 9:07/mi.

Thu 18/10 -- 3.2 miles easy @ 10:08/mi (Avg HR: 148 bpm)

Cycle commute. The head torch I had misplaced for months finally surfaced so had to go out and test it in a very dark Cabinteely park. Legs feeling a bit tight after yesterday so kept it to just over 30'.

Fri 19/10 -- No running

Sat 20/10 -- No running but plenty of walking.

Sun 21/10 -- Long run: 1h easy - 6.25 miles @ 9:43/mi (Avg HR: 148 bpm)

Family weekend away in Barcelona but managed to get away for a few easy miles with the family still asleep. I was expecting to be the only muppet out and about at 8:30 AM on a Sunday morning and was really surprised by the amount of runners and cyclists already up at that time. Lots of walking again for the rest of the day.

Weekly total: 20.3 miles

Mon 22/10 -- No running

Tue 23/10 -- Workout: 15'easy + 8' @ 10k pace + 2' jog + 6' @ 10k + 15' easy

Home for a few days. For the tempo sections I decided to use a long stretch of unpaved path along the river that flows across town, which turned out to be just about long enough to accommodate the whole of the 8' interval. Target pace was 7:00-7:15 per mile and both tempo intervals, the first into a slight headwind, felt comfortably hard but doable. Total of 5.65 miles in 47' or so. Avg page for each section (minutes/mile): 9:02 7:08 9:52 7:01 8:58

Wed 24/10 -- No running

Thu 25/10 -- Easy run: 5 miles easy @ 9:20/mi (Avg HR: 141)

A few easy miles around a nearby forest park along the river. Mostly flat but very mixed terrain.

Fri 26/10 -- No running

Sat 27/10 -- 5 miles easy @ 9.02/mi including Cabinteely parkrun (Avg HR: 145 bpm)

Very cold morning. I think a hectic week with a bit of travel and several late nights finally caught up with me. Started the run brightly but soon the legs felt really heavy so decided to back off and take it easy, which was the intention anyway.

Sun 28/10 -- Long run: 80' easy - 8.1 miles @ 9:50/mi (Avg HR: 134 bpm)

Another step in the build up to a weekly 10 mile long run. Left it a bit late to get out and with the time change this was run in the dark.

Weekly total: 23.8 miles

Mon 29/10 -- Rest

Tue 30/10 -- 4 miles easy @ 9:43/mi (Avg HR: 134 bpm)

A few easy miles to get home after the volleyball session.

Wed 31/10 -- Workout: 12x400m @ 5k pace with 200m recovery jog

The original (and perhaps slightly ambitious) plan was to try and do two sessions per week (speed intervals + tempo run) but so far I had only managed to squeeze in one workout per week and hadn't done any speed work, so this time decided to start the week with an interval session. Headed down to the Kilbogget track and after a couple of half-hearted form drills got down to business. I think the splits were roughly in line with what the calculators suggest based on my recent race times. Very slow 200m jog recoveries between each lap (and actually a walk recovery after the first 6 reps) but pleased to be able to maintain pace and effort all the way through, even though the last 3 or 4 reps felt quite tough. Noticed form going to pot at times so that's something to work on. Total of 6.5 miles for the day.

Splits:
    1:31 1:38 1:35 1:38 1:35 1:36
    1:36 1:39 1:36 1:37 1:38 1:35

Thu 1/11 -- Rest

Legs still feeling the session a little bit.

Fri 2/11 -- No running

Noticed the legs feeling nice and strong during the cycle commute today. Great feeling after Wednesday's hard workout.

Sat 3/11 -- Workout: w/u + 8' @ 10k pace + 2' jog + 6' @ 10k + c/d (inc. Cabinteely parkrun)

Felt good this morning so decided to turn the parkrun into a bit of a session and I figured that a repeat of last week's tempo run would fit in nicely. I took the first lap easy as an extension of the warm up, picked up the pace at the start of the second lap for the 1st 8' tempo section, which worked out to be an entire long lap almost exactly, then a short recovery jog at the start of the third lap and picked up the pace again all the way to the finish. Target pace for the tempo sections was 7:00-7:15/mile, which I managed to hit reasonably comfortably thanks to the downhill start of both sections and was able to maintain during the uphills. Total of 7.6 miles in about 43'. Avg page for each section (minutes/mile): 10:17 7:11 8:43 7:10 10:53

Sun 4/11 -- No running

Volleyball match in the morning. After the match and yesterday's workout decided to park the long run until Monday morning. It leaves the weekly mileage a bit on the low side but it will hopefully be made up next week.

Weekly total: 15.3 miles

The previous week was a bit heavy on workouts relative to the overall mileage so the aim for this week is to restore a bit of balance and focus on easy miles.

Mon 5/11 -- Long run: 90' easy - 8.9 miles @ 10:11/mi (Avg HR: 135 bpm)

Had to drop the car off at the garage first thing so decided to get the long run in on the way back via the Clonkeen, Kilbogget and Cabinteely parks. Target was 90' easy. The legs were actually feeling heavier than the day before so I just let the body dictate things without worrying about pace or distance. It was helpful that the auto lap function on the watch was still turned off. About one hour into the run started feeling livelier so threw in a couple of short hilly laps in Cabinteely Park before the end of the run.

Tue 6/11 -- 4 miles easy @ 10:00/mi

Another uninspiring run home after the volleyball session.

Wed 7/11 -- No running. Generally tired after a bad night's sleep.

Thu 8/11 -- 4.5 miles very easy @ 11:15/mi (Avg HR: 129 bpm)

An even worse night's sleep and very tired the whole day but managed to drag myself out for a few *very* slow miles around Cabinteely Park.

Fri 9/11 -- 45' easy - 4.4 miles @ 10:33/mi

A few (unplanned) easy miles with D after dinner. Sluggish.

Sat 10/11 -- 5.1 miles easy @ 9:25/mi inc. Cabinteely parkrun

During the warm up jog to the start of the parkrun I very quickly concluded that an easy run was going to be the only reasonable option today. Having people around naturally resulted in a slightly faster pace but didn't have much energy to get out of second gear, even though I couldn't resist a bit of a sprint up the final hill. I had considered entering the Clane 10k as a tune-up race and glad that in the end I decided against it as, in hindsight, it would have probably been a bit of a fiasco today.

Sun 11/11 -- No running. Volleyball match.

Low energy levels for most of the week due to a combination of poor sleep, a bit of stress and perhaps a slight hangover from the previous week, but at least managed to clock a decent amount of easy miles.

Weekly total: 26.8 miles

Hopefully this will be a more enjoyable week. A bit of foreign travel for work should afford the chance to explore a new area and some parkrun tourism. Looking forward to it.

Mon 12/11 -- Long run: 90' easy - 9.3 miles @ 9:41/mi

A lot more bounce as soon as I set off mid morning for the weekly long run around Kilbogget Park, including the customary track mile. Legs tiring towards the end but managed to keep them ticking over and the effort stayed on the easy end of the scale. A positive start to the week.

Tue 13/11 -- Rest

Wed 14/11 -- 30' easy - 3.1 miles @ 9:56/mi

Just a short easy run around the park before setting off for Boston.

Thu 15/11 -- 45' easy - 4.5 miles @ 10:18/mi

Awake early due to the jet lag so decided to head out at sunrise to loosen up the legs and explore the paths and trails of Olmsted Park and The Riverway, which are part of a series of linked parkways and waterways making up what's known as the Emerald Necklace. Great resource to have in the middle of a big city and just a slight shame to have missed the best of the autumn colours. Plenty of joggers and cyclists out and about despite the early hour and the sub-zero temperatures.

Fri 16/11 -- Workout: 6x800m @ 5k pace

Whilst researching the Brookline area on Google Maps I noticed an athletics track round the corner from where I was staying and wondered if it would be a public facility. Sure enough, Harry Downes Field includes an eight-lane track in great condition, football and baseball fields, a playground and a picnic area completely open for everybody's enjoyment. Great location on the edge of a residential area and across from Olmsted Park. It really would have been remiss of me not to make use of this fantastic facility for a workout. I can imagine the place being very popular in good weather but, with the temperature just above freezing and a little bit of the previous evening's snow still on the ground, I had the place to myself.

The session consited of 6x800m with a 400m jog recovery between reps (roughly about 2'), which I shortened to a 200m recovery before the last two reps. McMillan suggested a target of 3:05-3:15 per 800m but I try not to get too obsessed and let the legs find their pace. The session was hard work but felt easier than the 400m reps I did a couple of weeks earlier. Maybe the pace was a shade slower or the recoveries a tad generous ... or maybe I enjoy cold conditions. Total of 6.75 miles including w/u and c/d.

Splits: 3:15 3:21 3:19 3:16 3:19 3:16

Sat 17/11 -- 5.24 miles easy(ish) @ 9:28/mi inc. Jamaica Pond parkrun

Another factor in my decision to stay in Brookline instead of downtown Boston was the proximity to the only parkrun in this part of the country. Jamaica Pond parkrun is run by a very friendly crew and is a relatively new addition to the family having only started at the end of March. The course consists of two laps of Jamaica Pond (which, as I was reliably informed by the run director, was a favourite training ground of American marathon legend Bill Rodgers); first loop clockwise then a second loop counter-clockwise after a turn-around point, not quite pancake flat but just a few gentle undulations. A lovely setting for a run especially on a cold and sunny morning. Conscious of the previous day's workout, tried hard not to get carried away but invariably the pace crept up as the run went on, and afterwards the cool-down mile back to base felt like a slog, a clear sign that the legs need a bit of a break.

Sun 18/11 -- Rest

Weekly total: 28.9 miles

• Advertisement

Mon 19/11 -- Long run: 90' easy - 8.65 miles @ 10.02/mi

Last day in Boston and the plan was to get up early to squeeze in a long run before the start of the working day and the trip back home but woke up feeling a bit rough after the previous day's activities (day out at Fenway Park for the Super 11's Hurling Classic, followed by one or two drinks too many) and the prospect of a long run in the cold rain was decidedly not appealing. After feeling miserable for about an hour, trying to justify to myself that it was OK to skip the run, my window of opportunity was closing; another quick look out the window and the rain appeared to have eased off ... "feck it - when are you going to be in Boston again? just get out and if you feel too rough then cut the run short". After that kick up the backside, scoffed down a bagel and banana whilst getting changed and off I went.

Felt better as soon as I stepped outside into the fresh air and the legs were full of bounce heading down towards Jamaica Pond. Got a little bit lost trying to find the link-up to the Arnold Arboretum, the next 'jewel' in the Emerald Necklace, but got there eventually. Another super place; 281 acres of green space offering a myriad of opportunities for the runner: tarmac paths, off-road trails, hills. Lovely even on a drab autumn day - must be magnificent on a nice day. Managed a long loop roughly around the perimeter of the park and it was time to head back; sadly not enough time to go onto the even larger Franklin Park.

Maintained an easy steady pace throughout with brief interruptions to ask for directions and road crossings. The legs responded well and didn't actually seem to get as fatigued as in previous long runs even though, with the rain, my core started getting really cold from halfway. Glad I dragged myself out.

So goodbye Boston and thank you for some splendid running opportunities over the last few days. Hope to visit again at some point.

Tue 20/11 -- Rest

Wed 21/11 -- Rest

Advertisement