Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions before I take the plunge..

Options
  • 26-09-2018 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi all,

have been toying with the idea of getting a Mac for a few years and now my current Windows laptop is on its last legs so I figure now is the perfect time to switch, but before I do I just wanted to get people's thoughts on a couple of things.

The plan is to pick up a 12" Macbook - talking to a couple of friends who have them it seems perfect. The only thing is I'm somewhat concerned about the power? I do a lot of audio editing in Audacity for a podcast, and I want to know that I'll have the power to do this without much of a delay. I'm used to dealer with bigger windows machines that tend to have similar specs - anyone able to shed any light on this for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

You might want to wait a little while longer, the current line up is quite old.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

This would serve your needs much better but is obviously a bigger form factor and less portable than the 12”:

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch-space-grey-2.3ghz-dual-core-128gb#

Worth nothing it was originally released in June 2017 and hasn’t received a price drop.

If you’re not in a rush, wait for Apple’s October event and see what changes come for the Macbooks.

If you are looking to buy asap and have a bit more to spend than the model above, this would be worth the extra € for double the ports, double the storage and the touch bar and Touch ID sensor:

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/FPXV2B/A/Refurbished-133-inch-MacBook-Pro-31GHz-dual-core-Intel-Core-i5-with-Retina-display-Space-Gray

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Go for a Macbook Pro rather than the MacBook. Don't bother with the Touch Bar version, its a lot of money, and I'm sorry I got it on mine, as I never use it. Add RAM or a bigger HD with the difference. Have a look on the Refurb store and see if there is anything there,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

One thing I'd suggest...buy a referb model and save yourself some money. :)
    Same warranty etc and you'll likes save a few 100e, I know I did when I bought my 27inch iMac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Deviso

Cabaal wrote: »
    One thing I'd suggest...buy a referb model and save yourself some money. :)
    Same warranty etc and you'll likes save a few 100e, I know I did when I bought my 27inch iMac

Would I be worse off (device wise) it I bought a 2015 imac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Deviso wrote: »
    Would I be worse off (device wise) it I bought a 2015 imac?

If 2018 ones come out in October/November it’s value drops straight away even further. 2017 iMac’s in turn become less expensive to buy as well, which will suit you. Keep an eye on the refurb store if new ones arrive.

In terms of hardware, you would definitely be better off waiting. Just isn’t worth the money paying for the 2015 model this year, 3 months away from 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I have a 13 Macbook Pro and I think it's absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I’m on my 2nd MAC Pro (spilt tea on first). I LOVE them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i have a 2008 macbook pro and it still process audio and video pretty decently

Advertisement