Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murphy apologises to a female put into a hotel

Options
  • 27-09-2018 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭

Minister for Housing apologises to woman and child who spent (only) three weeks in a hotel.
    Further, he insinuates that a homeless hub is better and promised her "a home soon"

Well. Where does one start..

UrXo7QC.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Would the term 'homeless accommodation' be an oxymoron?

As in the example 'Jimmy is living in homeless accommodation' ....

I sometimes feel like it's a bad case of socio-political newspeak where words are slowly being replaced by an ever reimagined vocabulary ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

gozunda wrote: »
    As in the example 'Jimmy is living in homeless accommodation' ....

who uses that?

the usual term is "Emergency accommodation"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He'll be gone as minister before she gets a home.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Seriously, we do not have a homeless epidemic, its beyond ridiculous at this stage. We have people in temporary accommodation, mainly through no fault of their own, but they are not on the bloody streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Riskymove wrote: »
    who uses that?
    the usual term is "Emergency accommodation"

Heard it on the radio during the week and used to describe an apartment. The description of same wasn't emergency either

A quick Google brings up several examples including a job descriptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Seriously, we do not have a homeless epidemic, its beyond ridiculous at this stage. We have people in temporary accommodation, mainly through no fault of their own, but they are not on the bloody streets.

I think you're confusing rough sleeping with homelessness. The clue is in the word - homelessness - as in you don't have an home. It's not shelterlessness.

And I would think we do have a serious problem which is worsening month-by-month - there was 9,891 registered as homeless in August. It was less than 3,000 four years ago.

zell12 wrote: »
    Minister for Housing apologises to woman and child who spent (only) three weeks in a hotel.
    Further, he insinuates that a homeless hub is better and promised her "a home soon"

UrXo7QC.jpg

He’s right. She WILL soon have a home. Thousands are being moved from hubs, hotels etc every year into more permanent homes. Unfortunately their places in the hubs are soon taken by others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

He’s right. She WILL soon have a home. Thousands are being moved from hubs, hotels etc every year into more permanent homes. Unfortunately their places in the hubs are soon taken by others.

Quick way to get a house.

Why bother saving and working for years??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think you're confusing rough sleeping with homelessness. The clue is in the word - homelessness - as in you don't have an home. It's not shelterlessness.

And I would think we do have a serious problem which is worsening month-by-month - there was 9,891 registered as homeless in August. It was less than 3,000 four years ago.

Wow, so the 500,000 people renting are homeless!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Come on. Homeless traditionally referred to those living on the street. Including all these other groups of people in homeless figures gives an unfair reflection of the actual situation.
    Seeing as you are clear re the difference between homelessness and shelterlessness, perhaps homelessness should be dropped from all commentary because really what is of concern is shelterless people.
    I would far prefer to see figures for those on the street, and separately figures for those in warm temporary accommodation waiting to be permanently housed.
    Further broken down it would be very interesting to see figures re numbers in temporary accommodation who have refused housing and further those who have refused more than one offer of housing.
    Don't get me started on those who refuse everything bar a council property cause there is a chance a landlord might ask them to move out sometime in the future - something working people have to deal with everyday of the week.
    Forever home - if that's what someone wants, let them buy it.

Of course the minister could never say anything like this as he would be hounded out of office but it's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Riding roughshod over taxpayers and working renters.

Joke

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The homeless crises would be far greater if statistics were known about adults back living with parents
    Everyone I know had or have had adult children , some with families back living with them for up to two years to try save the deposit on a home .
    Right now there are thousands of over 30's back living in rooms in parents homes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The homeless crises would be far greater if statistics were known about adults back living with parents
    Everyone I know had or have had adult children , some with families back living with them for up to two years to try save the deposit on a home .
    Right now there are thousands of over 30's back living in rooms in parents homes

Just wondering what's new about that? Weren't their often multi generational families living in one home in Ireland? When did this idea arise that 'everyone' must have one and preferably more houses?

Don't get me wrong, I think housing should be more available and affordable but people should also ne strongly encouraged to get up off their arses and help themselves.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Just wondering what's new about that? Weren't their often multi generational families living in one home in Ireland? When did this idea arise that 'everyone' must have one and preferably more houses?

Don't get me wrong, I think housing should be more available and affordable but people should also ne strongly encouraged to get up off their arses and help themselves.

I think personally from my own circle the difference is these are adults who had left home and were renting . More and more are moving back in with parents as they simply cannot afford the rent
    The multi generational idea is lovely in a large country estate , less so in a small three bed semi in Crumlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Mod Edit

Attack the post, not the poster.
    Next one is a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Then I am homeless. living in rented accommodation? This is not my home Given the state of rentals here, I could be thrown out for many reasons. Not a home in your esoteric meaning..
    Seriously inte
    rnationally the term "homeless" means without a roof over your head. ie yes sleeping rough.

Your figures will be skewed by the less accurate definition? You need also to find out if they incl ude as I seem to remember they do, those couch surfing and living with family?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Thanks, was just about to post this.

Manchester united manager Jose Mourinho has been staying in a hotel for the last year. Hope he he gets handed a house by the english government. I’m surprised he’s not screaming from the rooftops at the deplorable situation he finds himself in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think personally from my own circle the difference is these are adults who had left home and were renting . More and more are moving back in with parents as they simply cannot afford the rent
    The multi generational idea is lovely in a large country estate , less so in a small three bed semi in Crumlin

I know what you mean and agree it's a bit different when adult children have to move back. Though that happened to in previous generations when people emigrated but returned for whatever reason.

It's also to do with peoples expectations though. House we first bought was originally a council built house, tiny with 2 small bedrooms and very basic. Was surprised when I heard it'd housed a family with 7 or 8 kids. People managed, if that was now they'd be looking for a substantial 4 or 5 bed property and if it was a 'modern family', likely separate gaffs for the fathers so the kids could visit etc.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I know what you mean and agree it's a bit different when adult children have to move back. Though that happened to in previous generations when people emigrated but returned for whatever reason.

It's also to do with peoples expectations though. House we first bought was originally a council built house, tiny with 2 small bedrooms and very basic. Was surprised when I heard it'd housed a family with 7 or 8 kids. People managed, if that was now they'd be looking for a substantial 4 or 5 bed property and if it was a 'modern family', likely separate gaffs for the fathers so the kids could visit etc.

Thanks for the reply I agree with most of your post . Though I don't think we should be aspiring to just " managing "
    Then before your and my time people also " managed " in tenements in the city
    This country if run properly and its citizens did not take the piss should be able to house those who need it in decent acceptable homes
    But the system is so that it is openly and proudly being abused . Because it is allowed to be abused those who genuinely need the help are not getting it
    Its a system failure and nobody is even trying to stop it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,789 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I know lets all attack each other on the definition of homeless whilst we have a housing crisis in the county. Average rents now over 1600 euro per month and a real serious problem with this impacting our growth and the larger economy.

We should just attack each other over that rather than getting on to our elected representatives to do something about it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Further, he insinuates that a homeless hub is better

I can't think of any circumstance where you'd consider a hotel room better than the hub accommodation. The hub accommodation includes full kitchen facilities, childrens play areas, 24h access (some of the extremely low end hotels and many B&Bs being used have curfews) and so on.

There were some people being put in the Gresham as emergency accommodation but even then they're stuck with nowhere to cook, no outdoor areas and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

listermint wrote: »
    I know lets all attack each other on the definition of homeless whilst we have a housing crisis in the county. Average rents now over 1600 euro per month and a real serious problem with this impacting our growth and the larger economy.

We should just attack each other over that rather than getting on to our elected representatives to do something about it.

I am not a landlord and am playing devils advocate here, but what if I worked really hard all my life, saving & not overspending so that I could afford to buy a small apartment to rent out.

I bought it and paid tax on it. I rent it out and I pay tax on that. Why should I not be allowed to charge what I want?

Should we put the products/services of all businesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,394 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Murphy is absolutely useless. He’s just waiting to switch to a cushy ministry and play the statesman

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Busterie

A quick way of getting more properties in to the rental market and out of Air BnB market is to allow landlords deduct mortgage payments off their income tax. Renting out property must be the only business where you are not allowed deduct your expenses off your tax.
    Corporate landlords get tax breaks.
    Why not individuals.
    This could be changed in the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bodyguard1

UrXo7QC.jpg

I would like to hear more about her circumstances Mr Murphy claims she was ashamed to find herself in the situation of being homeless but was brave, bright and hopeful for the future.........then go out and get a job like the rest of us to support our family. I am sick of hearing about people with bleedin heart stories who feel that the World owes them something and that they are entitled to be housed by the State at the Taxpayers expense. I go out to work at 5.30am every day and work at a job that doesn't pay well and I am not mad about doing but hey I have a mortgage to pay and a wife and two kids to support and put through college and my wife does the same unfortunately we are not hopeful for the future as all of our take home pay goes on keeping a roof over our heads, paying or bills and taxes and putting food on the table and giving our kids a good education so that maybe they can make a better life for themselves in the future but cest la vie :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Busterie wrote: »
    A quick way of getting more properties in to the rental market and out of Air BnB market is to allow landlords deduct mortgage payments off their income tax. Renting out property must be the only business where you are not allowed deduct your expenses off your tax.
    Corporate landlords get tax breaks.
    Why not individuals.
    This could be changed in the budget

Set up a "business" to run your letting then and you'll be able to make those deductions. You're still going to have to pay income tax on whatever you decide to pay yourself in the end, same as any other business, including corporate landlords.

Naos wrote: »
    I am not a landlord and am playing devils advocate here, but what if I worked really hard all my life, saving & not overspending so that I could afford to buy a small apartment to rent out.

I bought it and paid tax on it. I rent it out and I pay tax on that. Why should I not be allowed to charge what I want?

Should we put the products/services of all businesses?

Well for starters there are many investments you can make. Property only became hot since the 90s to get into and look what it's done the world over , significant imbalance in the ability of the average person to obtain a home under their own steam.

I think residential property ownership should not be an attractive investment for investors. And I don't see anything wrong with that viewpoint. There is no right to own property to rent to people so governments shouldn't make it easy or attractive. They have been doing both all over the place. Terrible policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Just one step away if this gobsh*t brings in a load of new rules that are supposed to help, Landlords will all be Air BnB ing it.

• Advertisement

Just one step away if this gobsh*t brings in a load of new rules that are supposed to help, Landlords will all be Air BnB ing it.

Theyre not already.? There are 4 times as many Airbnb listings as rental listings. Over 10,000 at last count in Dublin alone. Figures probably higher

Advertisement