Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying house in Ballina, Co. Mayo

Options
  • 26-09-2018 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

I viewed a house yesterday in Ballina which I want to use as my main living quarters.
    the house itself and the general space [parking, back yard, storage] fulfilled all requirements and generally ticked all boxes

The house is located on a Street called Tyrawley Terrace [quite close to St. Joseph's Hospital]

I have absolutely no affiliation or connection to Co. Mayo or Ballina

Would anyone know anything about the area of town in which this house is located?
    I noticed there was a few more homes for sale on that street and also a few of which were unoccupied/abandoned

The asking price of the house appears very reasonable or quite cheap considering the condition and what its offers

If anyone has more of an inside track and knowledge of this district/street I would greatly appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

supernova5 wrote: »
    I viewed a house yesterday in Ballina which I want to use as my main living quarters.
    the house itself and the general space [parking, back yard, storage] fulfilled all requirements and generally ticked all boxes

The house is located on a Street called Tyrawley Terrace [quite close to St. Joseph's Hospital]

I have absolutely no affiliation or connection to Co. Mayo or Ballina

Would anyone know anything about the area of town in which this house is located?
    I noticed there was a few more homes for sale on that street and also a few of which were unoccupied/abandoned

The asking price of the house appears very reasonable or quite cheap considering the condition and what its offers

If anyone has more of an inside track and knowledge of this district/street I would greatly appreciate it

I'm not from there but going back 5 or 10 years, that was a very bad part of the town but lots of graffiti etc on boarded up abandoned houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Knock2

Not a very good area at all actually the 2nd worst area in the town.I wudnt buy there,you can still get a bit of value,what is your budget and what are your requirements regarding rooms gardens ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭supernova5

budget, up to but not more than 75k

something that's near ready to move in into, [ may need freshening up/painting, carpets etc] 3 bedrooms, back garden space[small to medium] and decent storage/sheds

have done some searching today and from what I can gather its really the estate beside Tyrawley called St. Patrick's Estate which it causing or has caused most trouble.
    Tyrawley terrace itself appears to have more mature/elderly residents [so the estate agents says and I enquired from the Mayo county council about this also]

I'm aware that every town/city in the country have "undesirable areas" but sometimes these assertions can be based on stuff that happened in the past and once such reputations set in its virtually impossible to shake off that tag.

the big question, is this "bad/rough area" reputation justified as of today or is it carried on purely on its past history?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭gabe1977

I know it's always been regarded as a bad area and I've not heard anything to indicate it has improved much.
    It's not an area I'd like to live and definitely not somewhere I'd like to raise a family.

Yes you are correct st.patrick estate is a social housing estate and has all the problems that go with that.You are correct that the area your looking in us a mature area but it’s on the way to the estate so I would imagine you could experience a lot of problems at night ect.A lot depends on your personal circumstances if you have a young family I would def.not move there,if you are quiet old I deff would not move there,if you would be looking to sell in the future and hope for property price growth I deff.would not move there.
    On a budget of 75k it will be hard to get anything decent at all even in the socially disadvantaged Ballina,your best bet is to check out the auction sites such as bidx and you could be lucky are look a few miles out of town in the country and buy a house that requires some work.
    In my piñon if your looking for a 3 bed with gardens ect you would need a budget of 120k + in our around the town in a middle of the road estate,if your looking to move to a decent estate it will cost 160k +,sorry but the old adage gos you get what you pay for and on that budget it’s not much.Hope this information helps you?

• Advertisement

Knock2,

I plan on buying a house to live in for the rest of my life, don't have kids and my wife is quite dark skinned Asian
    I understand that houses in that general area are and probably always will be priced lower than other surrounding estates/streets or other districts of the town. more than likely prices will remain static

The St. Patrick's Estate is all Cluid housing now from what I've read and heard, these homes were essentially abandoned and or boarded up going back 6/10 years but have been totally regenerated over last few years

I've viewed houses in East Galway and mid/northern Roscommon [in villages]for the 65,000/70,000 thousand range and they are essentially ready to move into [maybe a bit of carpet changing/shampooing, a few extra kitchen cabinets needed]

Are you aware of break-ins, robberies, assaults or general anti-social behaviour occurring on Tyrawley terrace?
    I did read of one case [on a google search] sometime in 2012 of a man who lived next street over breaking a window and hitting a woman one night on Tyrawley [apparently there was a family dispute at a wedding that day]

It’s probally safe enough in the regard of assaults ect. as very little of that goes on generally but do be prepared for minor anti social behavior like noise and children making a nusance of themselves.Over all if price is a major issue you are geting decent size and location near the town center and if you don’t intend to sell for a good while,well is ticking all the box’s,but if you could stretch your budget you could get to a better area of the town for maybe 50k extra

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You know what you are getting into now from the comments here so the decision is yours.
    If it was me, I would look at somewhere else.

thanks for valuable info guys/gals

as a matter of interest, I also viewed a house in Ballyhaunis about 4 weeks ago, fairly sure its still available
    its on Station Rise street,
    anyone know anything bout this location?

Best of luck with your search

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement