Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent winter jacket, hat and gloves for running?

• 23-09-2018 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Hey there! While I have fine leggings and long-sleeved tops for most weather, I want to (and will) stay out longer in the cold this year. I find myself overwhelmed by the offered choice of running jackets, hats and gloves at different retailers, and I honestly don't know enough about brands and running to pick one over the other.

Would any of you have good suggestions? I'm after a warm fitting jacket I can shove into a backpack at a bag drop. :D

Edit: Just realised the Gear and Equipment forum is a place, but I can't delete this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Do you mean a jacket to wear running? ASICS and Ronhill do decent enough ones. I did a lot of long runs in cold weather last year. I have the ASICS Accelerate which is waterproof and wind proof. I’d wear a base layer and or long sleeved top underneath on very cold days. There isn’t much warmth in the jacket itself. Last year I found I wore a buff more than a hat most of the time as could just put round my neck if I got warm. I have Nike Running gloves that I find great. I got similar looking ones in Lidl but they don’t compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Cheers for the suggestion, Kelly! I already have a good base layer, will take a poke at the jacket this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nevan

Here are two kinds of running jacket: rainproof and warm.

The Brooks LSD was the jacket I heard most about when I went looking for one. I rarely use mine. It’s supposed to be rainproof but it just traps sweat. Most rainproof are only good against the wind.

For very cold days I use a warm jacket called ASICS Winter Half-Zip. It’s only good when the temperature dips under 5 degrees. It’s perfect for keeping warm after a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Apologies for hijacking the thread.....but does anyone have any recommendations for a decent hi vis/ light weight top for the winter? Even sleeveless.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

i just wear an old school reflective sam browne belt when i don't want the extra layer of a hi vis vest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Apologies for hijacking the thread.....but does anyone have any recommendations for a decent hi vis/ light weight top for the winter? Even sleeveless.

Interested in this too, i run on roads with no footpaths or street lighting and feel very vulnerable in winter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I was quite happy with the high vis vest in the DCM bag last year. You could get them free from the RSA website too. I saw a sponsored ad on fb for really light ones recently but can’t find it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Google is throwing up ProViz which might be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

you could get a little clip on flashing light?

Advertisement