Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U6/U8 Camogie blitz charging the players for the treats

Options
  • 23-09-2018 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭

Had daughters play a blitz in Carnmore gaa this morning in Galway. Blitz finished and all the kids ran up towards the hall, few minutes later most of them came out empty handed, they were being charged for the treats.
    Can't believe someone would ask a 5,6,7,8 year old for money for a treat at a blitz.
    Pretty poor form from Carnmore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Were they just told there was a shop available in the hall and there was a mixed message?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

gifted wrote:
    Had daughters play a blitz in Carnmore gaa this morning in Galway. Blitz finished and all the kids ran up towards the hall, few minutes later most of them came out empty handed, they were being charged for the treats. Can't believe someone would ask a 5,6,7,8 year old for money for a treat at a blitz. Pretty poor form from Carnmore.

You mean the bake sale they had to raise funds for Carnmore Camogie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭gifted

You mean the bake sale they had to raise funds for Carnmore Camogie?

No, the blitz they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

gifted wrote:
    No, the blitz they had.

Ok... but the blitz was run in conjunction with the sponsored Carnmore mile and the bake sale so I'm wondering did the kids go into the hall where the bake sale was on?

Ok... but the blitz was run in conjunction with the sponsored Carnmore mile and the bake sale so I'm wondering did the kids go into the hall where the bake sale was on?

The kids went/ ran into the only hall where the treats were ...as they do for every other blitz they attend.......parents usually follow them in to collect them after they usually get a bun or some treat......while walking up with other parents the kids started coming out saying they wanted a euro for a cupcake.....parents were looking stupid at each other....first I or other parents heard of a bake sale was reading 3 A4 sheets on the door into the hall

No mention of a bake sale when we were told of the blitz.....it was a bit...opportunistic....if you ask me.

Lots of parents walked out shaking their heads....queue of cars within minutes leaving the grounds.

A pity because the blitz itself was quite good, well-organised and enjoyable....people should have been talking about that, not the charging of kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

gifted wrote: »
    The kids went/ ran into the only hall where the treats were ...as they do for every other blitz they attend.......parents usually follow them in to collect them after they usually get a bun or some treat......while walking up with other parents the kids started coming out saying they wanted a euro for a cupcake.....parents were looking stupid at each other....first I or other parents heard of a bake sale was reading 3 A4 sheets on the door into the hall

No mention of a bake sale when we were told of the blitz.....it was a bit...opportunistic....if you ask me.

Lots of parents walked out shaking their heads....queue of cars within minutes leaving the grounds.

A pity because the blitz itself was quite good, well-organised and enjoyable....people should have been talking about that, not the charging of kids
    Looking at their social media(Facebook page in particular) they always talk of the baking etc as a bake sale and do so several times in days prior to the blitz. I assume clubs were informed of that. If so thats on your own club who didnt inform you that there would be a bake sale after the blitz. So i dont see how its opportunistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

In fairness if they’d run a well organised blitz the least you’d do is throw them a couple of euro in a bake sale in return

benji79 wrote: »
    In fairness if they’d run a well organised blitz the least you’d do is throw them a couple of euro in a bake sale in return

Every blitz we attended over the years with other clubs don't charge young girls for a few treats.....I couldn't stand behind a table and ask a 6 year old for a euro for a cupcake....

Every blitz we attended over the years with other clubs don't charge young girls for a few treats.....I couldn't stand behind a table and ask a 6 year old for a euro for a cupcake....
    Ive been coaching teams for years and in clubs often kids/their parents will be charged as its a good fundraiser for a club every week/few weeks after games.

Ive been coaching teams for years and in clubs often kids/their parents will be charged as its a good fundraiser for a club every week/few weeks after games.

I'm all for fundraising ...every club needs it....but not for u6 or u8 camogie blitz.....you should have seen the look on the faces of the little girls.....doesn't matter which way you call it...the kids were still charged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

.... .people should have been talking about that, not the charging of kids
    Yes they should.

Quit complaining then.

/end of thread.

I'm all for fundraising ...every club needs it....but not for u6 or u8 camogie blitz.....you should have seen the look on the faces of the little girls.....doesn't matter which way you call it...the kids were still charged
    It isnt as black and white as that and like i said in a previous post by a look on social media the club always said they were having a bake sale so why is it an issue.
    If the money is going straight back into the club and the running of the club then it shouldnt be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Around here,the host club always provides refreshments for partaking teams(parents bake and bring,club supply a drink) and then when you go to neighbouring blitz they treat your team. Perhaps the teams should have been taken care of and allow the parents to support the bake sale? I know I would if I saw it going on..

Yes they should.

Quit complaining then.

/end of thread.

OK, my complaint is finished. It was a great blitz, as I said very well organised. Thread can be closed now.

It isnt as black and white as that and like i said in a previous post by a look on social media the club always said they were having a bake sale so why is it an issue.
    If the money is going straight back into the club and the running of the club then it shouldnt be an issue.

Because most of us don't look at facebook pages od gaa clubs before heading to a blitz.

Anyway, I've said my piece, I'll leave it at that.

Because most of us don't look at facebook pages od gaa clubs before heading to a blitz.

Anyway, I've said my piece, I'll leave it at that.
    Thats the only place i looked up on seeing this topic. I will assume it was communicated elsewhere as well.

Thats the only place i looked up on seeing this topic. I will assume it was communicated elsewhere as well.

Nothing...if we had known then we could have been prepared for it.....no bother with fundraising....but don't say no to young girls..they don't understand.

Nothing...if we had known then we could have been prepared for it.....no bother with fundraising....but don't day no to young girls..they don't understand.
    I dont see the issue. Charging isnt being mean to anyone. Even if there was a lack of notice.
    But the club from my viewpoint did at least inform people that there was a bake sale and not simply food provided after the blitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

I dont see the issue. Charging isnt being mean to anyone. Even if there was a lack of notice.
    But the club from my viewpoint did at least inform people that there was a bake sale and not simply food provided after the blitz.
    Now I'm not sure what the practise is in the area in question, but if teams travel to be in your blitz would you not have some kind of treat for them? If the club is having a bake sale,excellent,good thinking but surely not at the expense of the young kids who have just played at your club.

Advertisement