Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM & Visually Impaired

Options
  • 29-12-2017 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

Looking for some advise please in relation to walking the Dublin City Marathon in 2018.

The reason, I say, walk, is because I am a visually impaired man, 46 years of age and I enjoy walking and I really want to accomplish a big challenge, which for me right now, to do the marathon, would be HUGE! In my normal life, I am completely reliant on people all the time, lifts to get to and from work, need help to going out etc, so, in my head right now, if I just finish the DCM, it would be amazing!!

I have 10 months to prepare myself which is plenty of time but I am looking for any advise or past experience?

Ideally, I would like to complete it on my own, but maybe the rules won't let that? I can't see anything about it. Or, maybe I will be asked to have a guide, which would be possible, but as I say, for me and my independence for the day, I would like to do it on my own. Happy to start at the back and just get on with it.

Is this possible? Or could I sneakily arrive early and head off an hour or two hours early to allow plenty of time and not be the very last to finish?

I have central vision left in my sight, I use a cane to get around, or more, to let other people know I have a vision impairment. In my head, this is all possible, but your advise might tell me differently. I want it to be my new year's resolution (which I never do) and I really want to achieve it.

So people of Boards, advise me please?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you should contact the Dublin marathon people directly, at office@dublinmarathon.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

VIPWalker wrote: »
    Is this possible? Or could I sneakily arrive early and head off an hour or two hours early to allow plenty of time and not be the very last to finish?

Yes, it certainly is possible. A friend of mine ran DCM this year with a guide and he wasn't the only one. The visually impaired runners started 10 minutes (I think) ahead of the field so that they would not be stuck in big crowds, which would have been dangerous.

Under no circumstances would I try and sneak there an hour early. You won't be an official participant that way and may even be asked to leave the course. The course is held open long enough for walkers to finish officially. But if you started training now you'd be well able to actually run it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

It might be worth getting in touch with:
    http://www.fingaltri.ie

The coach has run a few marathons with a visually impaired athlete and seems to know a bit about that area of athletics.

She might point you in the right direction if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 VIPWalker

Quick update!

Delighted to be able to say that I walked the half marathon in the park last Saturday! It was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Quick update!

Delighted to be able to say that I walked the half marathon in the park last Saturday! It was great!

Wonderful update VIPWalker!
    Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

Fair play. Are you going to have a go at the marathon this year?

Corbally wrote: »
    Fair play. Are you going to have a go at the marathon this year?

Yes, signed up! I’ll be the last to start and probably the last to finish, but I’ll do it, all going well!
    Thanks

Quick update!

I did it!

Took 7 hours to walk it and I’m delighted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Quick update!

I did it!

Took 7 hours to walk it and I’m delighted!!

Absolutely fantastic, well done.

I love hearing of people reaching and breaking through their goals and challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Well done! A huge acheivement!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement