Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circle K

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nasty cheap looking branding is my gripe with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mcdaids69

people bought topaz as a brand as well but kept their shop different..any shop with RE branding is circle K.if they dont have that their private owed and setting their own prices..esso and statoil are all circle K as they were topaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If it makes you feel better OP, all the petrol stations in my area are 1.48/1.49. I was a passenger in a car when we came across a petrol station that had petrol at 1.41 (somewhere over 2 hours away), and I nearly insisted we go back for my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

xpletiv wrote: »
    Since taking over Topaz, who i did consider to be the worst fuel station in the country (boycotted it under DOB), it seems their canadian owners are taking it up a notch. I cannot believe the price of things in the store themselves, but thats ok; they 'make the money' on the extras. Its the price of fuel; most places are around 1.43 for petrol currently around me, except Circle K. Its been 1.49 for petrol and 1.39 diesel for weeks. They always raise them first I see as well; Maxol, Texaco and Applegreen always at least 5 cent cheaper per litre.

Their car wash is 14 euro too!

A scurge on our country. Shameful the amount they can charge.

Do they still have the government contract for state vehicles (ambulance, fire, garda)?

Anyone who uses their €14 car wash deserves to get ripped off.I always wash my own car,bucket of lukewarm water,soft brush,car shampoo(wash and wax if you don't want to polish separately),one to two buckets to rince, cloth to shine job done.Bottle of good quality shampoo costing less than €10 does for several washes.Good for the car and yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Circle K paid about a quarter of a billion for Topaz, not "3-4 billion".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mcdaids69

L1011 wrote: »
    Circle K paid about a quarter of a billion for Topaz, not "3-4 billion".

refinery in whitegate in cork was sold to side company of circle k after .im just used to saying 3-4 billion to locals as i add in refinery as im from cork :rolleyes::rolleyes: .at till you have about 30 seconds with people you have to give them their conversation and keep them in a ball park,doesnt have to be bang on.and just in case i unfollwed the thread its a classic moan one :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

mcdaids69 wrote: »
    refinery in whitegate in cork was sold to side company of circle k after .im just used to saying 3-4 billion to locals as i add in refinery as im from cork :rolleyes::rolleyes: .at till you have about 30 seconds with people you have to give them their conversation and keep them in a ball park,doesnt have to be bang on.and just in case i unfollwed the thread its a classic moan one :D:D

I'm near certain that Whitegate was purchased by Irving Oil who are Canadian like Circle K, but not connected in any other way

edit - only connection is Circle K operate the convenience stores on some Irving Oil retail fuel sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

In fairness - Karina from Circle K Nutgrove is a fine thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This post has been deleted.

The Esso on the Long Mile / Naas Rd junction became a Maxol last year. It has pay at pump now which is great on a motorbike.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well the one on Naas Rd near Rathcoole is definitely a rip off. The normal diesel is dear enough but then they had this second pump beside the first one which was 10 cent dearer per litre as claimed to give your engine more power! F**k off. Pumps looked exact same so you could easily fill it with more expensive one by mistake. Think it was same with petrol. Really annoyed me as someone could easily be caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Still more expensive than anywhere else im seeing petrol or diesel. No wonder applegreens profits are through the roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Texaco for me. They strike an acceptable compromise between price and "the height" they filled their road tankers from on the sea tanker/whitegate imo.
    Tesco for example draw from the bottom of the barrel. I'd pass on that myself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Have to say i used to avoid topaz but circle k has been brilliant. In some stations yes its expensive but the station next to my house is the cheapest fuel and diesel in my region. 143/133. I also signed up for a three topaz fuel card so get 3 cent a litre discount. So on diesel im paying 130!

Also with drinks like coke and club etc its 2 for 3 euro. I gotta say im not seeing any rip offs but quiet the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mr.H wrote: »
    Have to say i used to avoid topaz but circle k has been brilliant. In some stations yes its expensive but the station next to my house is the cheapest fuel and diesel in my region. 143/133. I also signed up for a three topaz fuel card so get 3 cent a litre discount. So on diesel im paying 130!

Also with drinks like coke and club etc its 2 for 3 euro. I gotta say im not seeing any rip offs but quiet the opposite.

They havw quite a monopoly now in a lot of areas and when this happens price is much higher.

They havw quite a monopoly now in a lot of areas and when this happens price is much higher.

Exactly this. The "cheap" Circle Ks are just surrounded by competition until the competition can't go any lower and goes under instead. Then suddenly, they're less cheap...
    Far from just Circle K too. Every company out there would do it given half a chance.

Texaco for me. They strike an acceptable compromise between price and "the height" they filled their road tankers from on the sea tanker/whitegate imo.
    Tesco for example draw from the bottom of the barrel. I'd pass on that myself..

now that's a load of utter baloney

Texaco own 50% of a fuel terminal in Dublin Port. That's where all their fuel comes from.

Applegreen own the other 50%, so in effect applegreen and texaco are from the exact same storage tanks.

In any case, all fuel in to and out of all fuel terminals is the same. If for some reason the applegreen/texaco terminal runs short, they have an agreement to take supply from the circle k terminal or the TOP terminal.

The tankers line up, fill up with petrol and then add 'additives' relevant to who's buying the petrol and that is the ONLY difference. Therefore the base petrol is all the same there is no concept of Texaco say getting the 'good' stuff.

None of the fuel companies owns tankers anymore either. They are all sub-contacted out. (Reynolds being the biggest) They may carry an oil companies livery but they don't own or run the tankers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

They're the most expensive because a lot of people have fuel cards that knock 4c a litre off. The fuel cards are free, so I don't know why everyone doesn't have one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

They're the most expensive because a lot of people have fuel cards that knock 4c a litre off. The fuel cards are free, so I don't know why everyone doesn't have one...

Because the price on the sign is too dear. They'd get more repeat business if they advertised better prices. The fuel card concept shoots itself in the foot from the off imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Because the price on the sign is too dear. They'd get more repeat business if they advertised better prices. The fuel card concept shoots itself in the foot from the off imo.

Yup, Circle K, that are in the top 10 fuel companies in the world, don't know how to operate a forecourt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Yup, Circle K, that are in the top 10 fuel companies in the world, don't know how to operate a forecourt.

Couldn't give a toss, shop where you want.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    now that's a load of utter baloney

Texaco own 50% of a fuel terminal in Dublin Port. That's where all their fuel comes from.

Applegreen own the other 50%, so in effect applegreen and texaco are from the exact same storage tanks.

In any case, all fuel in to and out of all fuel terminals is the same. If for some reason the applegreen/texaco terminal runs short, they have an agreement to take supply from the circle k terminal or the TOP terminal.

The tankers line up, fill up with petrol and then add 'additives' relevant to who's buying the petrol and that is the ONLY difference. Therefore the base petrol is all the same there is no concept of Texaco say getting the 'good' stuff.

None of the fuel companies owns tankers anymore either. They are all sub-contacted out. (Reynolds being the biggest) They may carry an oil companies livery but they don't own or run the tankers.

The only "baloney" here is the belief that fuel, when left in storage, doesn't settle into different heights of quality :rolleyes:
    I never said fuel companies own sea tankers, but it doesn't change the fact that they still bloody well get their products from them.
    There is a pecking order, the stuff at the bottom is cheaper than the stuff at the top. Deal with it.

The "additives" make such a small difference overall you could almost argue they were a gimmick. The main difference lies in order of first to last to draw from the tankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

People go to in most cases wherever is closest or even just passing.

Look at all the motorway service ones they are extremely expensive but attract huge numbers.

I do my best to get to the cheaper price examples if I'm in the right place and only fill small amounts if can only get to the expensive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

My fuel card supplier is 1cpl dearer that the local retail garage.

The only "baloney" here is the belief that fuel, when left in storage, doesn't settle into different heights of quality :rolleyes:
    I never said fuel companies own sea tankers, but it doesn't change the fact that they still bloody well get their products from them.
    There is a pecking order, the stuff at the bottom is cheaper than the stuff at the top. Deal with it.

The "additives" make such a small difference overall you could almost argue they were a gimmick. The main difference lies in order of first to last to draw from the tankers.

Total baloney.

And I wasn't saying sea tankers. They don't own any road tankers. It's all subcontracted to Reynolds, Camp freight and a couple of others. They might have specific livery on them but that's just advertising, same as Kelloggs trucks are not owned by Kelloggs.

They get the order details and simply queue up. There's no hierarchy system whatsoever and neither do any of them take fuel directly from sea tankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Plenty of people have the Topaz card and are repeat customers because of it.

BMW offer Topaz card with 5 cent off
    Group scheme offer it with 4 cent off
    AA offer it with 2or 4 cent off
    Some credit unions offer it with 4 cents off

And I’m sure that the list goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

My local circle k is generally the cheapest in the town and does 3 euro carwash when you spend 50 on fuel.

You do all realise that these fuel stations are not owned by circle k, applegreen, Texaco etc.

They are owned and operated by the local shop owner who has livery and some other stuff provided and generally has certain standards they must meet.

They also choose the price they charge at the pump.

Even the large motorway stops aren't owned directly by the fuel companies but usually a consortium of several businesses. For example lusk and castlebellingham owned by superstop. That's too, applegeeen, couple financial institutions and pierse until they went bust

My local circle k is generally the cheapest in the town and does 3 euro carwash when you spend 50 on fuel.

You do all realise that these fuel stations are not owned by circle k, applegreen, Texaco etc.

They are owned and operated by the local shop owner who has livery and some other stuff provided and generally has certain standards they must meet.

They also choose the price they charge at the pump.

Even the large motorway stops aren't owned directly by the fuel companies but usually a consortium of several businesses. For example lusk and castlebellingham owned by superstop. That's too, applegeeen, couple financial institutions and pierse until they went bust

Generally correct.

Topaz/circle k - 420 stations, 160 company owned which have restore or circle k shops.

Applegreen - 180+ locations in Ireland. Less than 40 are franchise

Maxol - approx 230 sites, about 100 company owned.

Texaco - all owned and operated by independent retailers.

Top (now owned by Irving oil who own white gate) - 205 sites, mostly independently owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭beachhead

I see no difference at all in the fuel economy with "Tesco" fuel or any other supplier but wouldn't touch Texaco or Topaz or Essso for prices if I can help it.What I have noticed in the 2 years is that Tesco have given up competing on price with garages in their locality.Years ago Statoil used to get slagged same as Tesco is by some contributors here.Is all in the imagination and little green men talking out loud at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I'm all for saving money but for an example, if you were to fill 100 litres a week and you bought in a place that charged 3c more per litre you only spending 3 euro more out of a near 150 euro bill.

I get that over a year it will add up and pay for another bill but I can't understand why some people are so obsessed with saving money on fuel over nearly all other expenditures.

Advertisement