Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circle K

Options
  • 04-08-2018 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Since taking over Topaz, who i did consider to be the worst fuel station in the country (boycotted it under DOB), it seems their canadian owners are taking it up a notch. I cannot believe the price of things in the store themselves, but thats ok; they 'make the money' on the extras. Its the price of fuel; most places are around 1.43 for petrol currently around me, except Circle K. Its been 1.49 for petrol and 1.39 diesel for weeks. They always raise them first I see as well; Maxol, Texaco and Applegreen always at least 5 cent cheaper per litre.

Their car wash is 14 euro too!

A scurge on our country. Shameful the amount they can charge.

Do they still have the government contract for state vehicles (ambulance, fire, garda)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A private business making money.the public having a choice to give them their business or not.

I don't see any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It has a huge Monopoly to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

xpletiv wrote: »
    Do they still have the government contract for state vehicles (ambulance, fire, garda)?

So what if they do? Under these contracts you don't pay the retail price.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

So what if they do? Under these contracts you don't pay the retail price.

We have a contract with them in work, we get a massive discount

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Since they took over our local station they've started charging for using the air pump.

That's inflation for you.

• Advertisement

peckerhead wrote: »
    Since they took over our local station they've started charging for using the air pump.

Mine as well but as i see it, they had to buy the machine and maintain it. It costs money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I refuse to pay for compressed air. If you spend hundreds of euro on fuel every month charging for air is a damn disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I refuse to pay for compressed air. If you spend hundreds of euro on fuel every month charging for air is a damn disgrace.

How often have you seen a "free" air system broken down due to abuse by customers.

I rather pay the once in 3/4 months that I need to use an air compressor knowing that its properly calibrated and will work when I drive up to it. The one I use is in a TOP station and its €1 - worth every cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Hardly a ripoff when the price is displayed, you choose to use that service station or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Vote with your feet.....or wheels. Buy elsewhere. Unbelievable the lemmings queuing up in out local Topaz despite them charging 6c per litre extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

In our local one , people are avoiding it, overpriced , limited stock range and terrible 20th century branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

They are different products as far as i Know.

I don't buy fuel in topaz and all other incarnations. It's too dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It doesn't compress for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And what if you never buy fuel off them and just come in for free air?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I stopped going to them ages ago.
    They used to do 3 sausage rolls for a euro or 2. Suddenly it was €2.50 for 1....feck off. Coffee jumped in price also.
    I think O'Brien has/had enough money so it's elsewhere for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Three different brands of service station within a kilometre near me. Circle K are consistently the cheapest since rebranding. When they were Toapz they were the most expensive.

Should I open a thread about whichever of the 3 is the most expensive week on week?

mfceiling wrote: »
    I think O'Brien has/had enough money so it's elsewhere for me.

You do know that denis o'brien has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with circle k

CeilingFly wrote: »
    You do know that denis o'brien has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with circle k

You do, or do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ppl should vote with their feet and shop around.

Circle k are a complete rip off from what I’ve seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

The biggest rip off on fuel is how much in tax and levies is on the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭bmc58

peckerhead wrote: »

Money for bloody air!!! A rip off.Go to Tesco,usually the cheapest fuel and no charge for their air.(In Sth Tipp) anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

bmc58 wrote: »
    Money for bloody air!!! A rip off.Go to Tesco,usually the cheapest fuel and no charge for their air.(In Sth Tipp) anyway.

There is a reason Tesco is so cheap. It's pure rubbish. You get very low mileage from it

There is a reason Tesco is so cheap. It's pure rubbish. You get very low mileage from it

Topaz/Circle K supply Tesco.

ALL fuel is basically the same. Some places put an additive in as fuel is loaded into the road tankers. But aside from that every drop is the same, coming from the same refineries with no difference in refinery methods for individual brands.

Forecourt brands are just that - "Forecourt" brands.

Some people buy into the additive lark, but for many its a marketing gimmick that makes little difference to today's engine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Topaz/Circle K supply Tesco.

ALL fuel is basically the same. Some places put an additive in as fuel is loaded into the road tankers. But aside from that every drop is the same, coming from the same refineries with no difference in refinery methods for individual brands.

Forecourt brands are just that - "Forecourt" brands.

Some people buy into the additive lark, but for many its a marketing gimmick that makes little difference to today's engine

I hadn't used Tesco in years. It was rubbish years ago.
    Every one I have asked about it agrees.
    I only use topaz myself. I know a lot of that additive ads are just hot air.

Years ago when I was working for other guys I would fill up their vans where ever suited. I always felt I got better mileage from topaz. I never worked out the maths.
    On one run that was done every day for 2 months I would fill up every Monday with topaz . With a local Amber I wouldn't get home on a Friday without filling up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

On the air. You can get a air gun in Argos. 50€ best thing I ever bought. Think it's called a Air Hawk Pro. Can't fault it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mcdaids69

i work for circle k for 3 years at tills... air compresser is digital and they updated all of them.we used own the compressors but as they were being broken and fixed by a different company they gave the company who fixs them full control over them.they are ones who charge,if you put in for example 2£ your on timer.if you still have time on it you can still use the air fresher and hoover to recoup some of the charge back.we are always only 1cent difference to two other stations on our street (texaco and great gas)as the miles additive is added.govement has hiked up 22cent on it in last couple of years and trump walking away from Iran deal made it go up not Circle K..car wash is 6/8/10/12 euros not 14...12 is underbody and NCT approved and they updated all their car washs with wheel tech shine etc hence price increase but if you download our app you will get half price car washs.they do alot of fathers day or bank holiday offers on half price car washs too.as for coffee prices and shop prices they good offers like coffee and twix for 3£ if you look around its on sandwichs crisps etc..never had complant and told best car wash in town.denis o brien sold it for 3-4 billion two years ago and we dont do goverment contracts.they have fuel cards which are paid monthly on bill pay were you get 3c off pump price.gardai,doctors,eircom,esb all have these as they get their miles and reg typed by us on tills in case they use cars out of work.great pay from them for staff and they do bonus for us as well.any more questions or was this just a moan or serious post?also sorry for long post trying to fill in most of comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I go the length and breadth of the country and it is obvious, every where I go, that Topaz/Circle K are far more expensive than other stations. Also, when someone says that they only make 3c litre, this would make it 8c/litre for our local as that is what they are charging more than anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Do Esso still officially exist? I thought they were gone but I'm near sure I was in one the other day, possibly near Trim.

Advertisement