Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

madbeanman wrote: »
    Was the revised route not supposed to be published by the end of August? Here we are in Mean Fomhair and not a proposal in sight

I'd guess that the extended BusConnects public consultation may have delayed it, but yes, I was under the impression that it was meant to be August.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Would it be cheaper initially to have 30m Trams and then we can have strike action and very few years and disputes over cooler bags and other idiocy when the unions feel they need to make themselves important ? I’d prefer this wasn’t built than it being built with a driver based system ..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Would it be cheaper initially to have 30m Trams and then we can have strike action and very few years and disputes over cooler bags and other idiocy when the unions feel they need to make themselves important ? I’d prefer this wasn’t built than it being built with a driver based system ..

Could you not be positive for once? There hasn't been anything negative about MetroLink for a long time. We don't know if it will be driver operated or not but most signs indicate that it will be autonomous. And yet you're still all doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Peregrine wrote: »
    Could you not be positive for once? There hasn't been anything negative about MetroLink for a long time. We don't know if it will be driver operated or not but most signs indicate that it will be autonomous. And yet you're still all doom and gloom.
    I find it majorly frustrating that the same mistakes are made over and over again. I wouldn’t even have a driver operated system as an option on this project in this banana republic!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Very little happens between the middle of July and the start of September due to reduced resources in the office with the summer and people being on holidays.

I would imagine this has delayed the publication of the revised route and we will see it over the next few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

marno21 wrote: »
    Very little happens between the middle of July and the start of September due to reduced resources in the office with the summer and people being on holidays.

I would imagine this has delayed the publication of the revised route and we will see it over the next few weeks

Yeah, but like wouldn’t they be the most likely to know that and therefore realise that they shouldn’t say August if it ain’t gonna happen?

Meh, whatever, it’s not the end of the world. I’m sure they’ll get it out soon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

TII have issued a tender for ground investigation of the Metrolink route for the design & EIS stages of the project. This must mean that a route has now been selected; will surely be published very shortly

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=134907&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

jd wrote: »
    So I wonder what it will be.
    Single bore monotube, stacked trains + platforms.
    Line will duck under at Dunville. Ped/cycle underpass at Cowper?
    No TBM launch site at Na Fianna. No station either. Station at Homefarm 150 meters down the road. Homefarm get new facilities /all weather pitch etc. Not sure what Na Fianna will get :)
    Launch site near M50/Northwood
    High Floor Driverless, 60 meter trams.
    Depot at Dardistown
    I don't think it will be single bore stacked tracks. My memory isn't great but I don't think they favoured the monotube option in the initial study. Got the same feeling when talking to the engineers.

If it's going to be single bore, it'll probably be side by side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Was the revised route not supposed to be published by the end of August? Here we are in Mean Fomhair and not a proposal in sight

Probably all needs to be translated into Irish first.

Probably all needs to be translated into Irish first.

Well that should be no excuse. The should be prepared in tandem or perhaps prepare the Irish first ^^

Anyways before this goes any more off topic, could it be a sign of trouble if stuff is delayed a number of weeks or is it fairly standard operating procedure at the NTA? They seemed fairly punctual with the Cross City, finishing ahead of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Well that should be no excuse. The should be prepared in tandem or perhaps prepare the Irish first ^^

Anyways before this goes any more off topic, could it be a sign of trouble if stuff is delayed a number of weeks or is it fairly standard operating procedure at the NTA? They seemed fairly punctual with the Cross City, finishing ahead of time.

They'd every intention of building that. Metrolink is yet another PT rail project with costs way above the comprehension of the political class. But, you never know.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Never mind single bore, I think we found double bores above ^^

MJohnston wrote: »

Lol it’s a forum where people look for shreds of info about trains, friend. Were you expecting top drawer excitement and suspense?

I love how boards is where self awareness goes to die lol

Lol it’s a forum where people look for shreds of info about trains, friend. Were you expecting top drawer excitement and suspense?

It's just that on a forum about scraps of info about trains, people who come on moaning generically about Ireland are still the most boring thing about it! PS. I didn't mean you were one of the double bores ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭prunudo

Rulmeq wrote: »

Giving the current climate for protest in the city I'd say this will gain traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

From that it looks like revised plans will be October, if not November

A spokesman for the NTA said it hoped to publish revised route plans next month, but was not in a position to say whether the College Gate demolition would be reconsidered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

It's just that on a forum about scraps of info about trains, people who come on moaning generically about Ireland are still the most boring thing about it! PS. I didn't mean you were one of the double bores ;)

There have been so many excuses down the years to delay any railway to the airport, that I expected someone to claim that they needed time to translate the plans into Irish as yet another excuse to delay it further. Should have used Irony hashtags to save tender feelings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

jd wrote: »
    From that it looks like revised plans will be October, if not November

Yeah, I said before that the delay/extension to the BusConnects consultation will probably delay everything else the NTA are doing, and I still think that's correct. They'll finish the consultation late this month, and then set about publishing the plans for Metro link next month, probably late next month as well.

My point is valid. The evidence to date supports it. Furthermore, it wasn't a generic moan about Ireland, it was a specific point about this kind of project - A Metro. Sorry that it doesn't concur with your ideal opinion of where we plan it and then build it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

If anyone were to expect them not to protest, I'd hesitate to call them anything other than imbeciles. Who wouldn't protest the demolition of where they live?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Qrt wrote: »
    If anyone were to expect them not to protest, I'd hesitate to call them anything other than imbeciles. Who wouldn't protest the demolition of where they live?

Well the main thing is to deal with this stuff and to allow plenty time to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

jvan wrote: »
    Giving the current climate for protest in the city I'd say this will gain traction.

Given how easily planners have folded to other protestors, would anyone blame them?

Grandeeod wrote: »
    My point is valid. The evidence to date supports it. Furthermore, it wasn't a generic moan about Ireland, it was a specific point about this kind of project - A Metro. Sorry that it doesn't concur with your ideal opinion of where we plan it and then build it.

Yes, yes. We've all heard this song from you before, we know how it goes.

Yes, yes. We've all heard this song from you before, we know how it goes.

If I was constantly posting my opinion in this thread, I could possibly understand your silly sensitivity to it. However I don't. Therefore I'll just ignore your rather whimsical, fairy tale approach to this project. You are free to airbrush all political aspects (historical and current) from the discussion just as I'm free to point out the negative historical/political aspects that may prevent it from happening.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    If I was constantly posting my opinion in this thread, I could possibly understand your silly sensitivity to it. However I don't. Therefore I'll just ignore your rather whimsical, fairy tale approach to this project. You are free to airbrush all political aspects (historical and current) from the discussion just as I'm free to point out the negative historical/political aspects that may prevent it from happening.

And I'm free to point out how pessimistic your posts constantly seem. The fact that you call an attitude of hoping that this project proceeds "whimsical, fairy tale" says it all about how pessimistic your outlook is.

And I'm free to point out how pessimistic your posts constantly seem. The fact that you call an attitude of hoping that this project proceeds "whimsical, fairy tale" says it all about how pessimistic your outlook is.

Pardon me, but hope and expectation are two different things. My opinion is based on expectations. I hope something happens. I've been hoping since 1980 or thereabouts. That hope continued through all the years when proposal after proposal for some kind of underground/overground solution came and went. I developed expectations around 2002. I got really excited with expectation in 2005. 13 years later, after a recession and now apparently out of recession, previous plans have been abandoned, new ones are made and we have to go through all the same old guff again. This is not the first time either. I don't post my opinions to be some kind of grinch. I wish I could claim back the time that I spent at all the consultations, public meetings etc. and that includes the recent ones where I found myself talking to so called experts and professionals who were mere PR people. For me and many many like me, it is extremely difficult to offer positive opinions here. But I believe that the chances/reasons for Metrolink not happening, should be mentioned from time to time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: @Grandeod and MJohnston

Cut out the bickering please. It has gone on too long.

Qrt wrote: »

Yeah, I guess you are right. It also seems as though it’s the kind of thing that could gain major traction given the current narrative around the housing crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yeah, I guess you are right. It also seems as though it’s the kind of thing that could gain major traction given the current narrative around the housing crisis.

Which would be pretty insane, as we desperately need more and better transport infrastructure to support the building of a lot more housing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement