Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

https://twitter.com/SenatorMcDowell/status/1030469079658844161

Where has it been suggested that the Luas Green Line will close for 2 years? :confused:

Well upside to this document is seeing the plans for Dunville Avenue.
    The carefully concealed fact is that the project will entail the
    complete closure of the Luas Green line from Harcourt Street
    to Sandyford for the duration of the works

Even if this was true, could they not close every second station so close Dundrum but keep Balally open or close Beechwood and keep Cowper open. Upgrade the closed stations and then switch them around once the upgrade works are complete?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

https://twitter.com/SenatorMcDowell/status/1030469079658844161

Where has it been suggested that the Luas Green Line will close for 2 years? :confused:

He has inflated to cost of the Metrolink from the NTA estimate of €3 billion to €4.5 billion.

He is proposing closing the Sandyford/Charlemont line for 2 years plus 6 months testing. Where did that come from?

He is opposing Metrolink because of the Dunville Ave problem, and suggesting that the whole thing be scrapped in favour of 6 to 8 Luas lines without saying where they can go. Why do we need Luas lines that have no planning associated with them?

He is suggesting that the NTA are having sham public consultation, but then saying they have gone from twin tunnels to a single larger tunnel to reduce problems with Na Fianna. Did he read the published information?

I think he has taken the populism tablets, downed with fake information.

He is pumping for the village vote.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

not1but4 wrote: »

Even if this was true, could they not close every second station so close Dundrum but keep Balally open or close Beechwood and keep Cowper open. Upgrade the closed stations and then switch them around once the upgrade works are complete?

Is this while the trams or metros are running?

I think the actual upgrade could be done quite quickly by using temporary platforms - we are talking about a few feet of a rise that could be prefabricated off site.

The Stillorgan stop requires a bridge over St Raephaella's Road and an elevated station but could be closed permanently as it is so close to Sandyford, or could be moved north to the other end of the car park.

Anyway, this whole issue is nearly a decade away, that is two general elections away. Whatever is decided, it will be forgotten by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can't see him running for the Dail ever again so I've no idea what he's at doing the localism stuff. False "fiscal prudence" stuff may be a vote-getter for the Seanad but he's gone well beyond that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

L1011 wrote: »
    I can't see him running for the Dail ever again so I've no idea what he's at doing the localism stuff. False "fiscal prudence" stuff may be a vote-getter for the Seanad but he's gone well beyond that.
    He has a vested interest with property in the area so perhaps its motivated by that.

It does seem to be a particularly vitriolic NIMBY crusade for that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Some people just can’t accept their time in the limelight has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭prunudo

Where does he propose these 6-8 other Luas lines go? What sort of distruption and mayham will their construction cost? As far as I'm aware there aren't 6-8 development free corridors in the city patiently waiting for a new tracks.
    Also at peak times the green line is at capacity now, imagine what it will be like in 10 years. How does he hope to resolve this without improvement to the track and stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

He has inflated to cost of the Metrolink from the NTA estimate of €3 billion to €4.5 billion.

He is proposing closing the Sandyford/Charlemont line for 2 years plus 6 months testing. Where did that come from?

He is opposing Metrolink because of the Dunville Ave problem, and suggesting that the whole thing be scrapped in favour of 6 to 8 Luas lines without saying where they can go. Why do we need Luas lines that have no planning associated with them?

He is suggesting that the NTA are having sham public consultation, but then saying they have gone from twin tunnels to a single larger tunnel to reduce problems with Na Fianna. Did he read the published information?

I think he has taken the populism tablets, downed with fake information.

Problem is he’s getting his message across, even though that message is pure nonsense. The nta have no pro metro message out there in the media, so the general public are only hearing his side.
    This could come back to haunt the nta, indeed every person that wants metrolink built.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

tom1ie wrote: »
    Problem is he’s getting his message across, even though that message is pure nonsense. The nta have no pro metro message out there in the media, so the general public are only hearing his side.
    This could come back to haunt the nta, indeed every person that wants metrolink built.

Presumably, once they publish the finalised plan later this month (I think it's meant to be late August), the NTA will be pushing a full court press on the media/politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭prunudo

CatInABox wrote: »
    Presumably, once they publish the finalised plan later this month (I think it's meant to be late August), the NTA will be pushing a full court press on the media/politicians.

Fingers crossed, becuase they've been worryingly quiet up to now trying to combat the mis information by its opponents.

• Advertisement

If they had gone all out to push the proposed 'emerging preferred route' prior or during the public consultation, they would rightly be accused of 'sham public consultation'.

Surely, if they have taken public feedback into account, it disproves MD's claim of sham, and also improves the proposition.

However, it would help if they attacked the nonsense and fake facts coming from MD as fake and nonsense. Pointing out the parts of their published information to prove that he is playing the populist NIMBY that he is.

Hopefully they will come all out swinging when they move from 'emerging preferred route' to 'preferred route'. They need the full PR machine to be active pushing against the various TDs looking for cheap publicity to garner votes on the back of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

If they had gone all out to push the proposed 'emerging preferred route' prior or during the public consultation, they would rightly be accused of 'sham public consultation'.

Surely, if they have taken public feedback into account, it disproves MD's claim of sham, and also improves the proposition.

However, it would help if they attacked the nonsense and fake facts coming from MD as fake and nonsense. Pointing out the parts of their published information to prove that he is playing the populist NIMBY that he is.

Hopefully they will come all out swinging when they move from 'emerging preferred route' to 'preferred route'. They need the full PR machine to be active pushing against the various TDs looking for cheap publicity to garner votes on the back of this.

Yeah agreed, I just hope they have a pr machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

So I wonder what it will be.
    Single bore monotube, stacked trains + platforms.
    Line will duck under at Dunville. Ped/cycle underpass at Cowper?
    No TBM launch site at Na Fianna. No station either. Station at Homefarm 150 meters down the road. Homefarm get new facilities /all weather pitch etc. Not sure what Na Fianna will get :)
    Launch site near M50/Northwood
    High Floor Driverless, 60 meter trams.
    Depot at Dardistown

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

jd wrote: »
    So I wonder what it will be.
    Single bore monotube, stacked trains + platforms.
    Line will duck under at Dunville. Ped/cycle underpass at Cowper?
    No TBM launch site at Na Fianna. No station either. Station at Homeform 150 meters down the road. Homefarm get new facilities /all weather pitch etc. Not sure what Na Fianna will get :)
    Launch site near M50/Northwood
    High Floor Driverless, 60 meter trams.
    Deport at Dardisown

Looks like all the above all right. From what I can gather with the Monotube option, the issue of 90m or 60m platforms isn't an issue really because they can be extended handily enough?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dats me wrote: »
    Looks like all the above all right. From what I can gather with the Monotube option, the issue of 90m or 60m platforms isn't an issue really because they can be extended handily enough?

Yes, and the station entrances are simpler as well, so cheaper/smaller to build.

What are the downsides to the Monotube option?

And there was a final report due out at the end of this month, what do people feel about the timing and general public opinion?

What are the downsides to the Monotube option?

And there was a final report due out at the end of this month, what do people feel about the timing and general public opinion?

It's larger, with all that entails(like greater area of subsidence above, etc), and it hasn't been done as often as other tunnels (Barcelona No. 9 is the only one so far I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

1 big tunnel means more waste out of the ground to be disposed of. I’m sure there are other ones or surely it would be more popular.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Bigger TBM too, plus you have to go quiet a bit deeper, which also makes stations entrances more complex (longer stairs, longer lifts, etc.).

bk wrote: »
    Bigger TBM too, plus you have to go quiet a bit deeper, which also makes stations entrances more complex (longer stairs, longer lifts, etc.).

it does seem though, that for every con, there's an associated pro.

I.e. More complex station entrances = Simpler station construction because it's inside the tube.

From their docs as well, they're looking at whether the tunnel can be shallower due to "improved technology" or some such, can't remember the exact phrasing.

• Advertisement

What do people think of golf courses in cities? Look at this screencap of two golf courses within walking distance of Milltown/Windy Arbour, one right beside it:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What do people think of golf courses in cities? Look at this screencap of two golf courses within walking distance of Milltown/Windy Arbour, one right beside it:

I like them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I live in that area and the perimeters of the golf courses give a really nice green leafy feel to the area which of course is nice, I don't think there is any need for sports facility of this size within the M50 though, I think blocks of 6-8 story residential should be built within the gold courses, while maintaining a good part of it as public green space
    Anyway, not much point discussing it unless the golf course owners put it up for sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

wakka12 wrote: »
    Anyway, not much point discussing it unless the golf course owners put it up for sale

Which will never happen with either of those courses

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They should should cpo the Land. Housing , critical . A bloody golf course within the m50... laughable ...

Synode wrote: »
    Which will never happen with either of those courses
    Start levying a site value tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They should should cpo the Land. Housing , critical . A bloody golf course within the m50... laughable ...

Yeah lets just pave everything inside the M50 for housing. Laughable indeed. Anyway, way off topic

Synode wrote: »
    Yeah lets just pave everything inside the M50 for housing. Laughable indeed. Anyway, way off topic

We are discussing golf courses ... nobody said parks or the endless playing fields or other green spaces ...

Mod: Can we stick to the Metrolink plan, and leave the golf courses to the golfists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

Was the revised route not supposed to be published by the end of August? Here we are in Mean Fomhair and not a proposal in sight

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement