Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women runners being harassed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Once had some dude whip 'it' out from the back seat of a car and wave it at me along with some stupid comment, this is the only incident in over 11 years of running that I could call harassment. In fairness, thinking about it now, the position he contorted himself into in order to get it out the window was actually impressive.
    I had a car of lads drive up right beside me as I was climbing sally gap on the bike a couple of months ago and try push me off. What worried me most that with 4 or 5 lads in a car, they didn't have enough functioning brain activity between them to realise this was a really f*cking stupid thing to do.

I would count these two ^^ just as bad as this arse slapping. If not just as bad, certainly not far off. I wouldn't laugh any of them off. You should cycle with one of those cameras.

I've never been heckled ...but I was intimidated one evening on a run. It wasn't even really the incident, it really wasn't that major, but the seed it planted that sh*t, im on my own here and completely at the mercy of some nutjob, if they did decided to do something. I was never happy running in the dark since so I gave up the evening runs which I really enjoyed before. Lunch time runs are so stressful!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Another study, ok the sample size is small but even so I'm pretty certain you could ask this many males and you will in no way get the same answer for as high a percentage

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-45562134
    The survey of 1,903 13 to 21-year-olds in the UK found nearly two-thirds either felt unsafe, or knew someone who was fearful walking home alone.
    More than half had suffered harassment, or knew someone who had, it said.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I generally find people who shout are the ones who haven't the capability of doing

When it comes to comments about somebody thats specifically cycling or running I'd agree, 9/10 times the person making the comment has no decent fitness level. I think the comment is some sort of defence mechanism for their own failings in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

When I worked in Dublin I had bottles of urine thrown at me, eggs & called every name you can think off while out running. Happened maybe 7-8 times. I’m a male btw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

OOnegative wrote: »
    When I worked in Dublin I had bottles of urine thrown at me, eggs & called every name you can think off while out running. Happened maybe 7-8 times. I’m a male btw.

:eek: were you shouting f*ck the dubs as you ran or something? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

:eek: were you shouting f*ck the dubs as you ran or something? :pac:

Ah doing what I do it was water off a ducks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Can't say I've really noticed any harassment to be honest. But many of my runs are in the morning, or in rural locations. I've had one or two condescending remarks, something along the lines of "good GIRL, aren't you great to be out".
    Sometimes people in cars stare at you as the drive past. But I just write that off as I find myself doing the very same thing when I'm driving and I see a runner: who is it, do I know them, what distance is he doing, what route is he doing, what's he training for, noting his pace and/or form, admiring running gear!
    The odd time when I'm running down the town there might be someone outside a pub having a good stare; but they've a beer belly, a pint in one hand, a fag in the other; so I tend to take the judgemental and moral high ground.

But I do find that I just have to be sensible when and where I run. If I have to run at night time and on my own, you have to have a bit of sense and stick to busy and well lit routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

OOnegative wrote: »

Were you in uniform?:pac::pac:

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I had a car of lads drive up right beside me as I was climbing sally gap on the bike a couple of months ago and try push me off. What worried me most that with 4 or 5 lads in a car, they didn't have enough functioning brain activity between them to realise this was a really f*cking stupid thing to do.

I would alway be of he opinion that some people are just arseholes, letting their idiotic behaviour negatively affect me is letting them win. But when it comes to the above it's beyond ignoring. A few immature words or a wolf whistle is one thing, slapping somebody's arse or trying to push them off a F**king bike deserves legal intervention. Hope you reported that RQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

I wonder where in Limerick she was running. It would shed a bit of light on the likely culprits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I've been hacked by teenagers and my wife has had run ins with the same group. It's not gender specific.

This feminist agenda that things happen exclusively to women really has to stop. It's basically invalidating and dismissing the fact that men, especially overweight men, can suffer from all the same things, often to a greater degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

I've been hacked by teenagers and my wife has had run ins with the same group. It's not gender specific.

This feminist agenda that things happen exclusively to women really has to stop. It's basically invalidating and dismissing the fact that men, especially overweight men, can suffer from all the same things, often to a greater degree.

What are you blabbering on about? No-one, not a single person, has said it's exclusively women. Not a single person has even hinted at it. Feminist agenda me arse.

It's been suggested that women experience it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

As others, I read the article and came on to see if there was anything here about it and I have to say I’m really surprised that some have not experienced this at all.
    The article resonated with me hugely as I have experienced similar issues regularly in regards to honking horns and being followed. I never know who to talk to about it for fear of sounding vain. I’m no supermodel, but I do feel vulnerable. I run almost every day, always alone, and I try to go at busy times in busy areas but it’s difficult with long runs.

Today for example I ran at half 3 around a busy main road. I was beeped at by 3 different cars. At one stage, I heard a car slow down behind me and I looked to see if he was looking for directions (happens often in this area) but he just wound down the window and stared. I was still running and he just drove along beside, much too slow for that road, staring. He didn’t look away despite my confused look. I felt extremely intimidated and vulnerable. I am worrying about the dark nights and don’t know what I’m doing to do.

I think the reason this is being looked at from a female perspective is that we are biologically smaller and more vulnerable, and it is the fear of sexual violence more than general harassment, (although intimidating also) making it a much more serious issue.. that’s the experience I have anyway, and it’s very prevalent for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I've had people shouting at me on plenty of occasions over the years, from both genders, and not always particularly complimentary.

The difference is, I don't feel threatened when a girl whistles after me or makes a comment about my arse. It may be the same incident from the outside but how it can affect you is totally different. I don't have to worry about a girl sexually abusing me - if the genders were reversed, it's a far more threatening thing when the same thing it happens to a woman.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

sideswipe wrote: »
    I would alway be of he opinion that some people are just arseholes, letting their idiotic behaviour negatively affect me is letting them win. But when it comes to the above it's beyond ignoring. A few immature words or a wolf whistle is one thing, slapping somebody's arse or trying to push them off a F**king bike deserves legal intervention. Hope you reported that RQ.

No I didn't report as as they were driving off I spent some time trying to figure out if it had really just happened and was steadying myself as I was edging into the ditch to try avoid being hit, so didn't really pull myself together on time to glance at the type of car/reg plate. There was another cyclist up ahead so it wasn't until they got close to him and their brake lights went on that I clocked I should have tried to get something.
    Funny, you get so used to dangerous situations on the bike that I knew something was going to happen before it happened. It was a sunny Wednesday evening and it was fairly quiet so as soon as I 'felt' the car slow behind me I knew they were up to something. More they tried to nudge me with the car and they got a verbal warning...arms came out to the cyclist up ahead though.

A helmet cam (and indeed dash cam) are two things I keep saying I should get, really should be on the shopping list.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

Djoucer wrote: »
    What are you blabbering on about? No-one, not a single person, has said it's exclusively women. Not a single person has even hinted at it.

Except for the original linked article, I presume you meant?

pc11 wrote: »
    Except for the original linked article, I presume you meant?

You might want to read it again.

Article doesn't once suggest it's a problem exclusively for women.

It's an article that talks exclusively about women's experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

I felt extremely intimidated and vulnerable. I am worrying about the dark nights and don’t know what I’m going to do

To all the men in this thread complaining about feminist agendas and blathering nonsense about how there's no difference between the genders.

Read that line. Then read it again. Ask yourself would you ever, ever feel that way.

I'll make it easy for you. You won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

I was out for a run with my brother a few years back and a group if lads shouted "gay" at us, we laughed it off and kept going.

Can only imagine something similar happening to a woman to be much more intimidating.

We all know it happens both but generally as men we can laugh it off and not feel unsafe which is the real issue and what makes it much worse when it happens to a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

No I didn't report as as they were driving off I spent some time trying to figure out if it had really just happened and was steadying myself as I was edging into the ditch to try avoid being hit, so didn't really pull myself together on time to glance at the type of car/reg plate. There was another cyclist up ahead so it wasn't until they got close to him and their brake lights went on that I clocked I should have tried to get something.
    Funny, you get so used to dangerous situations on the bike that I knew something was going to happen before it happened. It was a sunny Wednesday evening and it was fairly quiet so as soon as I 'felt' the car slow behind me I knew they were up to something. More they tried to nudge me with the car and they got a verbal warning...arms came out to the cyclist up ahead though.

A helmet cam (and indeed dash cam) are two things I keep saying I should get, really should be on the shopping list.

Get a camera! I'm trying to think about times I may have been harassed when out running, nothing comes to mind. I get plenty of abuse on the bike though and it's definitely way more than my male counterparts get - yes they get abuse too, but less so.

However.. they don't intimidate me and I can (and do) shout back, whether that's wise or not is another discussion (although I can see their surprise sometimes :pac:). Perhaps if I was running I'd feel differently (harder to get away from them if they tried something?).

It's really not okay that anyone should feel intimated or worried about going for a run.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm a long haired guy, so it may be that I get more abuse than most.

I've had a couple of occasions where cars have slowed down to follow, seen the beard, shouted something derogatory and then drove off.
    I did once have an open top tour bus shouting run forrest run, but I found that quite encouraging :D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Jog on ignore as they look for a reaction.

Honestly don't feel that way as you will find these people are seriously mentally retarded.

Honestly don't feel that way as you will find these people are seriously mentally retarded.

pac_man wrote:
    I know it's flavour of the month but I'm getting a pain in me hole reading divisive gender articles lately. This is an issue that both sexes experience.

+ 10000 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Male. I don't feel intimidated out at night, doesn't even pass my mind. I've never had anything said whilst jogging. I've had a few things shouted at me cycling late after work on the drinking nights (Fri/Sat) but I've got earphones in so I've no idea what they're saying. Complimenting my awesome lycra'd bum I'd imagine.

My GF wouldn't run outside after dark without me, she'd have to go to the gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I’ve already replied to this on Twitter - Lizzie Lee started a thread on it. Generally, I find running in Dublin absolutely find. I don’t at all mind when ‘salt of the earth’ types shout ‘what are you running from?’ Etc or older men say ‘good girl!’ Etc - I think that’s all just banter and I’m fine with it. In the inner city, sometimes people waiting at methadone clinics etc shout encouragement, and again, I’m fine with that!
    I can only think of three things in the 8 years I’ve been running in Dublin - once at 5 Lamps a teenager kept stepping in my way, and when I tried to get around him he grabbed my chest - & because he had dirty he hands he left a big dirty handmark on my t shirt! Then another time, a man ran his hand right down the side of my body from neck to waist at Portobello bridge and then walked away. The third time was when I was on a dark, deserted stretch of the seafront between howth and Sutton and a man just said ‘nice’ to me as I ran towards him. I know that sounds like nothing, but the way he said it, and the way he looked at me had me looking over my shoulder till I got home ...
    That’s the thing ... I’m not sure if men understand the way some male pests can be so persistent. Twice I’ve been re-confronted with masturbators I thought I’d got away from - they’d followed me and done it again. It’s hard to laugh things off when you know from experience they might follow you home ... and that they probably want to frighten you.
    Someone upthread mentioned that overweight men get as bad. I’d agree that overweight people get horrible, mean, inexcusable abuse. When I started running I was slim but unfit, and it was so obvious how much easier I had it than heavier people - it’s unfair and horrible that people shout weight ist abuse. But I think the difference for women in general is the sexual threat. I don’t think men get as much of that.
    All that being said, I’ve had very little hassle, and I think running is a really gender-equal sport, which is lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

Djoucer wrote: »
    You might want to read it again.

Article doesn't once suggest it's a problem exclusively for women.

It's an article that talks exclusively about women's experience of it.

Right. No implication whatsoever.

pc11 wrote: »
    Right. No implication whatsoever.

So you think an article about women's experience is really about men?

Jaysus. That's the problem.

One thing that I find deeply worrying is the number of posters in this thread that feel that women calling out that they get harassed more (which they do) and that women feel more threatened (which they can) is somehow an attack on all men. It's not.

If you think an article like this is attacking or labelling all men as men that harass women then in all honesty you are a very, very insecure man and you need to take a long hard look at yourself as a person. It's clear that some men in this thread just want to feel like victims somehow because of those "evil feminists".
    :rolleyes:

Anyone getting harassed is wrong, regardless of sex and nobody has said its acceptable for men to be harassed or that men don't get harassed too. Stop with the silly whatabouttery,

Reputable data?

Women telling us. Try listening.

Bonus points for throwing in Saudi Arabia, a beyond hackneyed whataboutthemenz ploy.

pac_man wrote: »
    Have you any comparative and reputable data to back up the claim that women get harassed more than men while out running? Women are far more likely to be sexual harassed, that I agree with but I'm interested in all the facets of harassment like your claim above.

In all honestly I think you're being disingenuous in relation to this claim that you are interested in all facets.

It's evident from your previous posts that you you're far more interested in downplaying the issue as you believe its a "flavour of the month" to even talk about women getting abuse and anyway you think its harmless and it should just be forgotten about.
    :rolleyes:

I know it's flavour of the month but I'm getting a pain in me hole reading divisive gender articles lately. This is an issue that both sexes experience.

I've been the "victim" of a couple of incidents. Mainly immature teenagers of both sexes with a bit of name calling. The next day it's forgotten about, it's harmless. I thought this would be pretty standard for most runners if I'm honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Have you any comparative and reputable data to back up the claim that women get harassed more than men while out running? Women are far more likely to be sexual harassed, that I agree with but I'm interested in all the facets of harassment like your claim above.

It would be true in somewhere like Riyadh but from my experience from talking to runners in Ireland is far different from the "endemic" that the author describes. You're far more likely to receive words of encouragement and the biggest harassers against runners are not "young men" but Jack Russells.

No one is saying you're more likely to receive abuse / harrassment than encouragement. What they are saying is women are more likely to receive abuse / harassment then men.

And even if it's not endemic doesn't mean it's not an issue. I don't see why that is so contentious.

Advertisement