Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Medieval Marathon

Options
  • 17-09-2017 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭

Hi did anyone else do this marathon, and what did you think of the amount of hills , there was one hill around the 11 mile marker that must have gone on for the best part of a mile ( pure torture ) , whoever designed that course must have never ran a marathon, or is a sadist,, very very tough

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

They were tough mofos back in the Middle Ages.
    When was this on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Itziger wrote: »
    They were tough mofos back in the Middle Ages.
    When was this on?

Saturday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

I did the Half. Hilly course but far more concerning was the lack of marshalls and the fact it was approx 500M long!
    I thought he was joking at the start when he started calling out directions. I nearly went off course twice and there was a busy roundabout to cross near the end with no marshalls to control traffic.
    I know its for charity but this is unacceptable and dangerous. Will avoid in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

My friend got lost in the full and ended up in a dead end. She had to ask for directions to the finish as the last two roundabouts didn't have marshalls. Also trouble with signs getting switched about by kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Heard similar stories and know people who ran>2km extra for the 3/4. Also absence of water stations in second half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

There was another marathon on in Aherlow Saturday. Its profile would make the one in Kilkenny look like Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ger664 wrote: »
    There was another marathon on in Aherlow Saturday. Its profile would make the one in Kilkenny look like Berlin.

That's because a trail mountain run is always hillier than a road race!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Queeni

I found the opposite - plenty of marshals. But I was one of the last in. The only disappointment for me was that all the coke was gone by the time I got to the water stations.

The hills! I remember one of the marshals saying "It's all downhill from here" and laughing. I soon found out why he was laughing....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I did the 30k. Have to say I really enjoyed it and with the hills it was the type of course that seems to suit me.

I did get briefly lost in a housing estate about 6km from the finish due to poor signage. All four courses (10k/half/30k/full) joined up about 3 miles (i think) from the end. I did notice there were one or two un-marshalled junctions in this last stretch.

All in all though it was a good event. Generally well organised. Would have loved to stay for the after party as it looked like a good venue.

I'll do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

John_D80 wrote: »
    I did the 30k. Have to say I really enjoyed it and with the hills it was the type of course that seems to suit me.

I did get briefly lost in a housing estate about 6km from the finish due to poor signage. All four courses (10k/half/30k/full) joined up about 3 miles (i think) from the end. I did notice there were one or two un-marshalled junctions in this last stretch.

All in all though it was a good event. Generally well organised. Would have loved to stay for the after party as it looked like a good venue.

I'll do it again.

None of that make's sense. How can it be well organised after what you said above?

• Advertisement

None of that make's sense. How can it be well organised after what you said above?

My post clearly says “generally” well organised.

Perhaps if you had read it correctly and/or understood the meaning of the word generally then it WOULD have made sense to you. :-)

John_D80 wrote: »
    My post clearly says “generally” well organised.

Perhaps if you had read it correctly and/or understood the meaning of the word generally then it WOULD have made sense to you. :-)

*Puts on wise old man hat*

Both of you have some reason here. John, you did indeed say 'generally'. That said, how anyone is willing to pay for a race where you can get lost in an industrial zone and come to two roundabouts with no idea where to go at them................ and be willing to repeat the experience. If there were no decently run alternatives, I'd say something, but with some of the great races organised out there I just don't get that attitude.

I'm guessing that's where Average was coming from.

*Takes off the hat*

At the end of the day, I couldn't give a $hite how any of ye spend your money and time :)

Itziger wrote: »
    *Puts on wise old man hat*

Both of you have some reason here. John, you did indeed say 'generally'. That said, how anyone is willing to pay for a race where you can get lost in an industrial zone and come to two roundabouts with no idea where to go at them................ and be willing to repeat the experience. If there were no decently run alternatives, I'd say something, but with some of the great races organised out there I just don't get that attitude.

I'm guessing that's where Average was coming from.

*Takes off the hat*

At the end of the day, I couldn't give a $hite how any of ye spend your money and time :)

I only got slightly lost for about 30 seconds at one place. The unmarshalled roundabouts I mentioned were signposted so I knew exactly where to go. There just wasn’t anyone there to tell me. Not that it was needed. I only made the point in the first place because ideally I would have liked to see marshals there controlling traffic.

- Number pick up was painless in a well organised area.
    - Discounted parking available less than 300 meters from start/finish.
    - Sheltered bag drop available to keep gear dry.
    - Staggered starts for different events.
    - Food vendor at the start/finish area.
    - Adequate water stations en route.
    - Good challenging course with plenty hills.
    - 95% of junctions on the day we’re perfectly fine.
    - 95% of signs were also perfectly fine.
    - Nice T-Shirt & nice medal for everyone.
    - After party by all accounts was good craic.

So all that considered I would stand over my initial assessment that was generally well organised and I will do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

I am thinking of signing up seeing as though Dublin is sold out.
    After reading the above posts I would be the type of person who would definately get lost as I usually follow the runners in front of me
    (if there was anyone to follow) I do not know my way around Kilkenny besides knowing where the pubs are and I would not be able to retain 26.2 miles of directions.
    I have completed the Clonakilty marathon so I should be ok with the hills.
    Any other pros and cons ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

All I want to know about is the After Party? Is it straight after the race or later on in the evening? Im heading down to run the HM.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just a heads up for this guys, there's a change of route and imho a better more enjoyable route for this year...I run alot of the roads being used weekly so am looking forward to it :)

Opted against Dublin and doing this instead

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Cabaal wrote: »
    Just a heads up for this guys, there's a change of route and imho a better more enjoyable route for this year...I run alot of the roads being used weekly so am looking forward to it :)

Opted against Dublin and doing this instead

Relieved to hear that. Had signed up for the 3/4 without doing any research for it and was scared stiff after reading this thread on last year's event.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HurlyBurly

Disappointing event. Feels like its only there for the hobby runner to get the medal & tshirt. Only did the 10k and ended up taking a wrong turn due to the bad marshaling (which was offloaded to a roads maintenance firm! presumably because they had no locals/volunteers supporting the event)

Had to run on the footpaths for a good chunk of it because there was no road closure. No huge quality in the fields, I think 37/38 won the 10k and 2:58 the marathon.

Should have waited to do the JJ Reddy Danesfort one, which is on today, but it didn't suit my schedule - it's far superior organized set of races. Seems strange to have two big sets of races a few miles apart in Kilkenny on the same weekend.

I think the Medieval team need to have a rethink of this event(s).

Run the marathon in conjunction with the Danesfort 1/2 or something like that

I certainly won't be back for it anyway in it's current guise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Did the marathon and was disappointment that the route changed last minute, especially as I regularly run much of the route on my weekly training runs.

However, it had to be changed. The funeral that was being held at around Cuffesgrange/Church Hill would have created a very dangerous situation on what are otherwise very, very quiet roads some of which are single track. Anyone doing the marathon or 30km would have seen the v large amount of cars parked in the field near the church.

I feel sorry for the organisers, they know how to put on events and regularly do so but this was just unfortunate and there was nothing they could do other then re-route parts of the race. I would imagine this had a knock on effect on other respects of the day due to last min big changes and having to have stewards on different roads.

However, despite the route change I did enjoy the course, had a reoccurring leg cramp after mile 19 so came in 10minutes alter then expected in 3:40 but as I wasn't specifically training and its not a goal race I'm not pushed.

Can't comment on the 10km route as not even sure where it went to,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

I did the half and had to ask a few other runners for directions as there were no signs or marshals, (half marathon signs were not reliable) especially the last 2 miles. There were also tourists coming out of the castle oblivious to what was going on, footpath was very tight there.

Overall, nice course, adequate water stops. I would be happy overall and would run it again. Lot of negative comments on Facebook. Back into it again tomorrow, 20 miles next weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

webpal wrote: »
    I did the half and had to ask a few other runners for directions as there were no signs or marshals, (half marathon signs were not reliable) especially the last 2 miles. There were also tourists coming out of the castle oblivious to what was going on, footpath was very tight there.

Overall, nice course, adequate water stops. I would be happy overall and would run it again. Lot of negative comments on Facebook. Back into it again tomorrow, 20 miles next weekend

Sorry, find it hard to get my head around this. Why pay good money for a race when you have to ask for directions!

sideswipe wrote: »
    webpal wrote: »

Overall, nice course, adequate water stops. I would be happy overall and would run it again.  Lot of negative comments on Facebook. Back into it again tomorrow, 20 miles next weekend

Sorry, find it hard to get my head around this. Why pay good money for a race when you have to ask for directions!
    I'm afraid it's a bit of an Irish thing, no? The organisers might be very nice people but I'm sorry, this is a marathon and if I'm paying money and want to run a target time there is no way in hell I'm running on footpaths with tourists and/or running alongside traffic. And then to have to ask for directions. C'mon lads, let it go. Support well organised races that are safe and managed. This doesn't sound like one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

30 quid isn’t too bad for a half these days, good medal and t-shirt too if you are into that.

I feel the positives outweigh the negatives hence my comments. I set out to get a specific time and I did it. Had this been a target race, I probably would feel different but, if this was a target race, I would make sure I’d research the course beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Any race where a runner gets lost or has to ask for directions has failed the most basic requirement and I wouldn't support such an event a second time

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cobra1975

I done the 10k as part of a training plan I'm on!! Ended up in a laneway behind some houses then into a dead end....no directions or Stewards to be seen was asking stranger's did they know where to go!!! And I was in second at the time..,..ended up loosing a few minutes and ran 700m extra....25 Euro?????? Runners are no Morons won't be mugged again!

Cobra1975 wrote: »
    I done the 10k as part of a training plan I'm on!! Ended up in a laneway behind some houses then into a dead end....no directions or Stuart's to be seen was asking stranger's did they know where to go!!! And I was in second at the time..,..ended up loosing a few minutes and ran 700m extra....25 Euro?????? Runners are no Moran's won't be mugged again!
    Hey, one of my colleagues is a handy runner. sub 80 mins Half and his name is Phil Moran. 
    On a more serious note, that is some disgrace. I have no personal beef with anyone involved but that race needs to disappear asap.
    Btw, my other mate, James Stuart said he couldn't make it to Kilkenny. Sincere apologies.

Did the 30km as a training run for DCM.

In the organizers defense, there was a last minute issue with a funeral and 2/3 days prior to the event they were forced to find a completely different route. However, putting that aside it was a bit of a mess unfortunately.

I struggled to know what direction to go in. There would be one small sign for a turn off so if you miss it, tough! I ended up running along the 10k route! Only for 1/2 lovely runners who spotted I had an orange number (we were colour coded) they motioned at me to turn back. Only cost me about a minute but still... I wasn't the only one who did this also and I found myself waving to other orange numbers to turn back.

Further along there was a turn off for the half and marathon and again I was massively confused, even slowing down to try and read the signs. At this stage the crowds had moved along so there was lots of space and I was often running alone. By chance I happened to go the right way first time.

The next incident was really hard to forgive.... I was stopped TWICE by stewards as they blocked the road completely to let cars pass. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as I jogged on the spot praying I wouldn't stiffen up. I went from my comfortable 8.50 or so pace to zero. Few of the other runners tutted loudly and growned in disbelief but no point in taking out our frustration on young stewards. Looked back on my watch and I was approx stopped for up to 5 mins in total to allow for traffic. This really messed with my head and my pace for the last 3/4 miles were all over the place.

Only for the fact I could see other runners just ahead of me I would have had no idea where to go for the last 3 miles or so in the centre. It wasn't clear at all, running around confused tourists and locals on the foothpaths. Despite all of this I STILL came in earlier than I had planned so I was thrilled and that distracted me but looking back I lost a good 5 minutes and it's pretty annoying!

Not too many at the finish line was a bit of a let down. Atmosphere wasn't great tbh.

If this was my marathon I would have been VERY upset!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Pink11 wrote: »
    Did the 30km as a training run for DCM.

In the organizers defense, there was a last minute issue with a funeral and 2/3 days prior to the event they were forced to find a completely different route. However, putting that aside it was a bit of a mess unfortunately.

I struggled to know what direction to go in. There would be one small sign for a turn off so if you miss it, tough! I ended up running along the 10k route! Only for 1/2 lovely runners who spotted I had an orange number (we were colour coded) they motioned at me to turn back. Only cost me about a minute but still... I wasn't the only one who did this also and I found myself waving to other orange numbers to turn back.

Further along there was a turn off for the half and marathon and again I was massively confused, even slowing down to try and read the signs. At this stage the crowds had moved along so there was lots of space and I was often running alone. By chance I happened to go the right way first time.

The next incident was really hard to forgive.... I was stopped TWICE by stewards as they blocked the road completely to let cars pass. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as I jogged on the spot praying I wouldn't stiffen up. I went from my comfortable 8.50 or so pace to zero. Few of the other runners tutted loudly and growned in disbelief but no point in taking out our frustration on young stewards. Looked back on my watch and I was approx stopped for up to 5 mins in total to allow for traffic. This really messed with my head and my pace for the last 3/4 miles were all over the place.

Only for the fact I could see other runners just ahead of me I would have had no idea where to go for the last 3 miles or so in the centre. It wasn't clear at all, running around confused tourists and locals on the foothpaths. Despite all of this I STILL came in earlier than I had planned so I was thrilled and that distracted me but looking back I lost a good 5 minutes and it's pretty annoying!

Not too many at the finish line was a bit of a let down. Atmosphere wasn't great tbh.

If this was my marathon I would have been VERY upset!

Sounds like a medieval marathon all right!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Pink11 wrote: »

That is unforgivable from any race, in fact I don't think the term 'race' can be used if the participants are being prevented from running at various points, what a shambles!

• Advertisement

That is unforgivable from any race, in fact I don't think the term 'race' can be used if the participants are being prevented from running at various points, what a shambles!

Yeah, there really is no excuse other than their alternative was to cancel the event 2/3 days prior due to this funeral.

Advertisement