Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Players to watch this (2018/2019) season

• 14-08-2018 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭

This is needed

So far on mine

Rico - Fulham
    I'll be interested to see how they get on defensively, meant to be a good goalie, judging on the weekend he'll get in sooner rather than later

Sanchez - Spurs
    Could have scored at the weekend
    Periera - Leicester
    Again attacking potential
    Hadergjonaj - Huddersfield
    Was mentioned as an OOP defender

Brooks - Bournemouth
    Could be the best of 5m players
    Hughes - Watford
    Had two great GWs last year but other than that has shown little
    Guendouzi - Arsenal
    4.5m mid starting for arsenal. I'll have to watch him play
    Maddison - Leicester
    I think everyone is keeping an eye on him but he's in the same price bracket as Pedro, Jota, Ricki

Strikers - I haven't seen any that haven't been discussed to death, maybe Joselu as a 5m starter but if last year is any indication he's not a runner

Comments

Jimenez caught my eye in the Wolves game but not half as much as Mitrovic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

McCarthy from Southampton made it onto mine

Also vestergaard looks dangerous from set pieces won't be doubling up on Southampton defence though.
    Fredericks for west ham will be given licence to bomb forward and after another week or 2 they will be better suited to the system fixtures for first 8 weeks not great though.
    Gomez for Liverpool looked solid but is a big rotation risk.

Alli suprised me at how good he looked
    Billing looked ok for a 4.5 mid

Mitro will be pivotal to how well Fulham will do he impressed me at the weekend.
    Jimenez looked decent for wolves too I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Danny Ings @ 5.5 could be gold as 3rd striker, if he was priced as a Saints player he would be 6.5. I'm fully expecting him to get plenty goals this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Danny Ings changed the game when he came on. Unfortunately he came on for their other bright attacker Armstrong, who I also have my eye on.

I'd like to see the two together, and Hughes move away from a back 5 which doesn't suit them, before I invest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Ings was dropping very deep when he came on. Played great and lifted the team but I would much prefer to see him play closer to goal. Definitely one to monitor. Could be gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

James Madison (6.5) would likely have had a goal on Friday had it had been any other Prem goalkeeper between the sticks.

He took every single corner and indirect set-piece.

He played as a 10 in between the lines with Ndidi and Silva behind him and looked very bright generally, picking up the ball in dangerous areas.

Definitely one to watch.

Chilwell (5.0) was another who impressed me, both in his performances and with how far forward he got.

Both ones to keep an eye on though, there's a lot of talk that Puel won't be there much longer, but these were two players who blanked last GW that I think could provide returns in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Chilwell always impresses but has never really delivered

Will Vardy coming in have any major effect on how Madison plays?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I got ings in from the start but benched him for gw1. I'll be playing him this week and reckon he will hit double figures if he stays injury free.
    Gomez 5million could get a nice run in the team with lovren out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I’ve had Armstrong in from last week, hopefully his injury isn’t too serious.

I have Mitrovic too, it I think I might be shifting to Ings/Jiminez in a horses for courses type approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Really think we're missing a trick with Ings/Wilson double up top to get in a Kane or Aguero. Think Wilson is the obvious one at Bournemouth, despite having King in my side, I think I'll be moving back to Wilson. 0.5m cheaper, and Wilson coming off first full pre season in a couple of years. Looks to be staying on penalties also, I think King lost the massive upside of being a midfielder last year. Similar to Ings, could do with him getting a start soon to cement a place, but hard to see Southampton not starting someone they're obliged to pay 20m for.

Outside of this I think Vardy needs big consideration for the first 10 gameweeks with fixtures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

razorblunt wrote: »
    I’ve had Armstrong in from last week, hopefully his injury isn’t too serious.

It shouldn't be in his arm anyway.

I'll get my coat lads. That's dreadful.

wardides wrote: »
    Really think we're missing a trick with Ings/Wilson double up top to get in a Kane or Aguero. Think Wilson is the obvious one at Bournemouth, despite having King in my side, I think I'll be moving back to Wilson. 0.5m cheaper, and Wilson coming off first full pre season in a couple of years. Looks to be staying on penalties also, I think King lost the massive upside of being a midfielder last year. Similar to Ings, could do with him getting a start soon to cement a place, but hard to see Southampton not starting someone they're obliged to pay 20m for.

Outside of this I think Vardy needs big consideration for the first 10 gameweeks with fixtures.

Most got burned by Wilson last year so will be very wary of going back. Id have no hesitation in putting him in . I think he is a very good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Most got burned by Wilson last year so will be very wary of going back. Id have no hesitation in putting him in . I think he is a very good option.

I’ll play with a squad of 14 before I’d leave Callum fcuking Wilson back into my team.

10 starts, eighteen points :eek::mad:

Will maybe take 3-4 weeks but whomever nails the right side of attack at Chelsea will be a bargain.

I hope it’s Willian as I think he’s a better player but it could be Pedro. A nailed on either one of those will be a must have.

The only problem might be minutes, in that position, as they might share them.

Benimar wrote: »
    I’ll play with a squad of 14 before I’d leave Callum fcuking Wilson back into my team.

10 starts, eighteen points :eek::mad:

I had him for a lot of that run but also had him for the run of goals he had before that which prompted people to get him in . If he can stay ahead of Defoe in the pecking order its a starting striker for an attacking team that has proved when fit he can score goals in the PL. Granted he couldn't hit a barn door and barely had a shot on goal in that 10 games stretch you talk about. The rest of his PL career has been fairly good though.

klopparama wrote: »
    Will maybe take 3-4 weeks but whomever nails the right side of attack at Chelsea will be a bargain.

I hope it’s Willian as I think he’s a better player but it could be Pedro. A nailed on either one of those will be a must have.

The only problem might be minutes, in that position, as they might share them.

I'd would be much better if it was Pedro though for 2 reasons. One he is cheaper and 2 his attacking returns would be a lot higher than willians. Pedro is a much bigger goal threat than Willian .

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'd would be much better if it was Pedro though for 2 reasons. One he is cheaper and 2 his attacking returns would be a lot higher than willians. Pedro is a much bigger goal threat than Willian .

3. He isn't Willian

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Green&Red wrote: »
    Chilwell always impresses but has never really delivered

Will Vardy coming in have any major effect on how Madison plays?

Would imagine it could only help him as teams afraid of his pace perhaps sit a bit deeper and that opens up more space between the lines.

Iheanacho can't play that role, so as long as it's a 4-2-3-1 I think I'm not wrong in think Madison would be nailed in that 10 role (the central role of the 3).

I'm not sure if Puel ever switches to a 4-4-2. One to watch anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Interesting point on Second Captains re Sarri and how when he was in Napoli he turned Mertens into a 20+ goal man and that most likely he would try and do similar with Hazard as a striker once he got fed up of Morata. If Hazard got close to his form from two years ago I'd pick him up

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Kante on the watchlist... never thought I would say that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

PARlance wrote: »

Some fixtures incoming too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

PARlance wrote:

Just coming on to post the same.

Gonna stick a fiver on him for player of the year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

PARlance wrote: »

Only a placeholder for Hazard at Chelsea.

Due to major injuries and suspensions at Everton we're struggling for a defensive line.

Coleman
    Keane
    Mina
    Jags

All out.

This leaves the likely back line as follows:

Kenny, Holgate, Zouma, Digne or Baines. Unless Digne can slot in RB I'm unware of?. Holgate can play RB but with no other CB available I think Kenny will slot in at RB(4.4m)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Due to major injuries and suspensions at Everton we're struggling for a defensive line.

Coleman
    Keane
    Mina
    Jags

All out.

This leaves the likely back line as follows:

Kenny, Holgate, Zouma, Digne or Baines. Unless Digne can slot in RB I'm unware of?. Holgate can play RB but with no other CB available I think Kenny will slot in at RB(4.4m)

Mina, Keane and Jagielka all due back for GW6 though.

It'll be Kenny/Holgate for RB then with Holgate 1st choice IMO.

Mina, Keane and Jagielka all due back for GW6 though.

It'll be Kenny/Holgate for RB then with Holgate 1st choice IMO.

Jags is GW6 anyway. Not sure about Mina and Keane off hand. Agree with above on Holgate over Kenny most likely if Coleman is out for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

OOP Alert!

Ward (4.5) MF

Starting up front for Cardiff for second game in a row.

Awful fixtures, manager and teammates but ideal 3rd sub/bench fobber for me.

Kenny starts. Think he's 4.3M value now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Digne is worth keeping an eye on too at 4.8. He already has one assist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Invincible

Could be a good swap for Daniels.

Advertisement