Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming channel - where to start?

• 10-09-2018 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

So I am going to set up a youtube channel with my son. He loves watching the online gamer vids and this would be for him and me to do something similar together. Im IT literate so looking for some practical input from anyone who has gone about setting up a channel and what you need to record, edit and general tips. Thanks! 😊

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Assuming you're capturing console gaming, get yourself a capture card, internal for PC or external for laptop, something like an avermedia LGP should be cheap now to start. One webcam and basically any usb headset and you're good to go technically. Don't go nuts spending at first.

If you want to do live editing, OBS is excellent, offline I just use iMovie for quick stuff or FCP for complex on Mac.

The reality of the youtube environment right now is he's likely to try for 6 months, get no traction and fail, unless he finds the process fun. The market is saturated and youtube themselves have no interest at all in helping little guys. So keep it fun :)

If he's young, I would probably lock down the comments and moderate them yourself in case anything nasty gets said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Assuming you're capturing console gaming, get yourself a capture card, internal for PC or external for laptop, something like an avermedia LGP should be cheap now to start. One webcam and basically any usb headset and you're good to go technically. Don't go nuts spending at first.

If you want to do live editing, OBS is excellent, offline I just use iMovie for quick stuff or FCP for complex on Mac.

The reality of the youtube environment right now is he's likely to try for 6 months, get no traction and fail, unless he finds the process fun. The market is saturated and youtube themselves have no interest at all in helping little guys. So keep it fun :)

If he's young, I would probably lock down the comments and moderate them yourself in case anything nasty gets said.

Great thanks, the idea is this is a little project we'll do together so just for fun. I hear you on the comments, will keep an eye on this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Great thanks, the idea is this is a little project we'll do together so just for fun. I hear you on the comments, will keep an eye on this.

Entirely the right way to do it :) Yeah sadly you do have to keep an eye on comments, you never know when someone will drop something nasty in them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 kevin55

This can become a great channel, As many gaming youtubers out there play and host gaming videos individually. You guys can play the new games together in a fun way and that game will be reviewed from two different generation perspective at the same time. Also I would suggest you, to start this thing on twitch also because that community is more strong for gaming than youtube.

Advertisement