Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,231 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Gallagher has his 4 nominations and is withdrawing his name from other LAs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Water John wrote: »
    Gallagher has his 4 nominations and is withdrawing his name from other LAs.

A clever tactic by Gallagher, he is freeing up LA's to nominate other candidates. The more candidates in the field the better for Gallagher.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,175 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Being seen as a nomination hoarder/blocker probably hurt Daly last time so there's that element too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

L1011 wrote: »
    Being seen as a nomination hoarder/blocker probably hurt Daly last time
    :confused:
    Davis? Dana?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,175 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Davis? Dana?

Davis!

Forgot her name as she was so anonymous/pointless and that's even after being stuck behind her sodding bus crawling the entire length of the Strand Road one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Freeman now on the ballot after securing Cork City, Fingal and both Galways. Duffy set to get Wicklow unopposed tonight, bringing him up to three, after Carlow and Meath earlier.

L1011 wrote: »
    Davis!

Forgot her name as she was so anonymous/pointless and that's even after being stuck behind her sodding bus crawling the entire length of the Strand Road one day.

Interesting that neither her nor Adi Roche ever gained much traction in their respective presidential races, and Joan Freeman doesn't seem to be this time either. Maybe there's a resistance among the Irish people to electing someone to the presidency as a reward for 'do-gooding'...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Interesting that neither her nor Adi Roche ever gained much traction in their respective presidential races, and Joan Freeman doesn't seem to be this time either. Maybe there's a resistance among the Irish people to electing someone to the presidency as a reward for 'do-gooding'...

Freeman has close ties to the Iona brigade so I reckon that won't do her any favours. Gallagher getting on the ballot paper isn't a surprise and I reckon Duffy will be there as well. Amazing amount of whinging coming from the GOD disciples about her being blocked and collusion in her exclusion. She and her supporters are seriously deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,173 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

She can't have close ties to Iona, sure she never heard of them until the referendum on the 8th.

Duffy gets his jollies by chasing down animals untill the point of exhaustion, death or killing.

And the other lad was a bagman for Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Out of the outliers I can see sharkey possibly getting in ahead of groake, Doherty, and the others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0910/992732-presidential-election-councils/

"Meanwhile, Cavan/Monaghan TD Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin's name has gone forward for consideration as Sinn Féin's Presidential Election candidate.

RTÉ understands that the name of the veteran TD, who has said he will retire at the end of the current Dáil, will go before the party's Ard Comhairle meeting this weekend.

Ireland South MEP Liadh Ní Ríada is widely expected to be selected to contest the October election.

But it was decided at a meeting of Sinn Féin's Midlands North West Cúige organisation in recent days to put forward the names of Mr Ó Caoláin and Ms Ní Ríada to the party's ruling body or Ard Comhairle."

It seems that SF are beginning to see sense and move away from the mad anti-vaxxer from Cork and the unknown solicitor from Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Joan Freeman believes that touching a wall can cure illnesses. I just don't think Irish people are going to have much time for this nonsense. One wonders what her real reason for running is as she clearly hasn't a hope of getting a good vote.

Does Sean Gallagher speak that way in normal life or is that just put on for the cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,575 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Was there any reporting on what Gallagher has been doing in the 7 yrs since the last election, apart from suing RTE?

Francie, have you a great urge to tell us something juicy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Was there any reporting on what Gallagher has been doing in the 7 yrs since the last election, apart from suing RTE?
    I assume, given his urge to serve, that he has spent the last seven years doing good public service type deeds.

gandalf wrote: »
    Freeman has close ties to the Iona brigade so I reckon that won't do her any favours.

But there seems to be a broader aversion to 'charity' candidates among the electorate, given the failures of Adi Roche and Mary Davis to make much impact. Or maybe the voters decided that they didn't like those two and are apparently doing the same with Joan Freeman for completely separate reasons...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why would a high flying businessman want a boring job of being president?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

I've got a terrible foreboding that SG has a winning plan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0910/992732-presidential-election-councils/

"Meanwhile, Cavan/Monaghan TD Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin's name has gone forward for consideration as Sinn Féin's Presidential Election candidate.

RTÉ understands that the name of the veteran TD, who has said he will retire at the end of the current Dáil, will go before the party's Ard Comhairle meeting this weekend.

Ireland South MEP Liadh Ní Ríada is widely expected to be selected to contest the October election.

But it was decided at a meeting of Sinn Féin's Midlands North West Cúige organisation in recent days to put forward the names of Mr Ó Caoláin and Ms Ní Ríada to the party's ruling body or Ard Comhairle."

It seems that SF are beginning to see sense and move away from the mad anti-vaxxer from Cork and the unknown solicitor from Belfast.

Any problems with insomnia?
    Just tune in to a debate between Higgins and O Caolain problem solved.
    Do we really need a dole cheat in the Aras?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Or do we need old man Higgins with his finger on the button?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Edgware wrote: »
    Any problems with insomnia?
    Just tune in to a debate between Higgins and O Caolain problem solved.

Gemma O'Doherty and Joan Freeman would be much more entertaining, but would probably be on the Comedy Channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Francie, have you a great urge to tell us something juicy?

Nope. It's just that he comes from quite near me and I haven't heard of him for 7 yrs except when he was suing RTE.

I thought he moved to his wife's neck of the woods in North Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Why would a high flying businessman want a boring job of being president?

Most accounts would seem to indicate that "high-flying" would be an overstatement of reality.

I thought he moved to his wife's neck of the woods in North Cork.

North Cork's gain is our loss apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

At this point I don't see O'Doherty getting any nominations. What possessed her to make a conspiracy out of Veronica Guerin's murder a couple of days before going to her brother in his capacity as a Fingal councillor for a nomination?

What did she think was going to happen?

What would our button even do? Dispense a shot of whiskey if the Americans ever pressed theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Where's my false teeth?!

Rhineshark wrote: »
    At this point I don't see O'Doherty getting any nominations. What possessed her to make a conspiracy out of Veronica Guerin's murder a couple of days before going to her brother in his capacity as a Fingal councillor for a nomination?

What did she think was going to happen?

What would our button even do? Dispense a shot of whiskey if the Americans ever pressed theirs?

Release pikes from thatches across the country...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

North Cork's gain is our loss apparently.
    Think you've got that backwards Francie!

Advertisement