Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ whistleblower makes explosive 'insider' claims about election coverage

Options
  • 09-09-2018 9:00pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure what the purpose of coming clean now is but this could get interesting...
    A whistleblower claiming to be a senior and long-serving RTE employee has contacted 11 members of the Oireachtas with explosive new claims about the broadcaster’s coverage of the 2011 Presidential election.
    The whistleblower claimed to have had a major role in the election coverage and maintained that Sean Gallagher, David Norris and Martin McGuinness did not get fair coverage during the campaign in comparison to the ultimate winner, Michael D Higgins.

The whistleblower said issues around election coverage extended beyond the controversy surrounding the final RTE Frontline televised debate hosted by Pat Kenny.

(I wonder if it's the same whistleblower as before)

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/rt-whistleblower-makes-explosive-insider-claims-about-election-coverage-37297374.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's not very explosive is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Why now in the next election though? The timing just smacks a bit of convenience, unless s/he was always going to wait out the term.

I dunno, after two years I'm seeing Tories in the hedgerows. (Tory-like critters that is, not actual Tories). If RTE were up to shenanigans, it does need to be dealt with, - but it should have been dealt with five years ago.

Benefits: Gallagher maybe
    Definitely works against: Higgins, RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Rhineshark wrote: »
    Why now in the next election though? The timing just smacks a bit of convenience, unless s/he was always going to wait out the term.

I dunno, after two years I'm seeing Tories in the hedgerows. (Tory-like critters that is, not actual Tories). If RTE were up to shenanigans, it does need to be dealt with, - but it should have been dealt with five years ago.

Benefits: Gallagher maybe
    Definitely works against: Higgins, RTE.
    What's a 'tory like critter' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

Hurrache wrote: »

Not very tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,289 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How do they measure fair coverage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

lawred2 wrote: »
    How do they measure fair coverage?
    RTE? One candidate getting loads of questions from a rigged audience and RTE's own candidate getting none? The whistleblower has given TDs RTE e-mails, reports and notes and minutes of meetings. One of the TDs is supposed to be bringing this to the attention of the Minister for Communications. If any of this gets out and specifically details a pro-Higgins operation from RTE, then things could go very badly for Higgins and RTE. Not sure whether Gallagher would benefit directly. Worst case, such a release may cause a lot of problems for Higgins by tainting his election in 2011. Hasn't made the news on the RTE website yet for some reason. :)

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    RTE? One candidate getting loads of questions from a rigged audience and RTE's own candidate getting none?

Regards...jmcc

so more a case of unfair treatment then

fair coverage sounds like length of time given to answer questions or something

lawred2 wrote: »
    so more a case of unfair treatment then

fair coverage sounds like length of time given to answer questions or something
    Higgins was hobbling around after injuring his knee during the 2011 election. He also had a serious tremour in one of his hands. RTE concentrated on static shots and studio shots. Higgins, if you look at coverage from the election, started to appear with his hands folded when being interviewed. The RTE interviewers never posed any hard questions to Higgins but the other candidates did get hard questions and repeatedly so. The health issue would have been brought up immediately if RTE's coverage had been balanced. The "one term only" thing did seem to be a rather cynical move by the Higgins campaign to defuse some of this kind of questioning.

It will certainly be interesting to see if any of the material given to TDs will be put in the public domain. What happens next could have a major impact on the campaign. If the Minister for Communications decides that an investigation is necessary, then that could put the race wide open. If there's an attempt to kick this to touch for the duration of the election and the material starts getting leaked/published and is adverse to RTE, then it would be far worse.

Regards...jmcc

Higgins was hobbling around after injuring his knee during the 2011 election. He also had a serious tremour in one of his hands. RTE concentrated on static shots and studio shots. Higgins, if you look at coverage from the election, started to appear with his hands folded when being interviewed. The RTE interviewers never posed any hard questions to Higgins but the other candidates did get hard questions and repeatedly so. The health issue would have been brought up immediately if RTE's coverage had been balanced. The "one term only" thing did seem to be a rather cynical move by the Higgins campaign to defuse some of this kind of questioning.

It will certainly be interesting to see if any of the material given to TDs will be put in the public domain. What happens next could have a major impact on the campaign. If the Minister for Communications decides that an investigation is necessary, then that could put the race wide open. If there's an attempt to kick this to touch for the duration of the election and the material starts getting leaked/published and is adverse to RTE, then it would be far worse.

Regards...jmcc

well here we are almost seven years later and the President seems to be in good health..

He seems to have weathered the term in office quite well and I can't remember off the top of my head him failing to perform official duties for health issues at any stage...

so maybe not the worst thing in the world that an elderly man wasn't asked to explain why he was so old..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd reserve judgement on this alleged whistleblower tbh.

Nothing in any reports so far provides any real credibility for it, except the alleged existence of internal documents.

jmcc above, presumably does not work for RTE, but is able to put together a small catalogue of alleged biases that RTE showed towards Higgins. So in the same manner, anyone with a bit of an axe to grind or on the payroll of one of the dirtier candidates could easily put together a "portfolio" of allegations against RTE, based 100% on public knowledge and rumour, and zero "insider" information.

Nothing in what's so far reported indicates anything "new", merely a re-statement of the BAI's findings against RTE.

Convenient timing. RTE has always been beset by political interference, I wonder has someone been asking this whistleblower to sit on his hands until an "appropriate" moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

seamus wrote: »
    I'd reserve judgement on this alleged whistleblower tbh.

Nothing in any reports so far provides any real credibility for it, except the alleged existence of internal documents.

jmcc above, presumably does not work for RTE, but is able to put together a small catalogue of alleged biases that RTE showed towards Higgins. So in the same manner, anyone with a bit of an axe to grind or on the payroll of one of the dirtier candidates could easily put together a "portfolio" of allegations against RTE, based 100% on public knowledge and rumour, and zero "insider" information.

Nothing in what's so far reported indicates anything "new", merely a re-statement of the BAI's findings against RTE.

Convenient timing. RTE has always been beset by political interference, I wonder has someone been asking this whistleblower to sit on his hands until an "appropriate" moment?

Without the internal documents, it could read like sour grapes.

However, if there are internal documents that show editorial decisions, such as no questions about health, or static photographs etc., then the accusations of bias may well have foundation.

It is not surprising that something like this has come out. Too many people in the past have focussed on media ownership such as Denis O'Brien's while ignoring the real editorial power that producers, directors and presenters have in places like RTE and Newstalk which gives them much more ability to deliver a biased perspective.

It may have escaped your notice but there is a presidential election in progress.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It may have escaped your notice but there is a presidential election in progress.

Regards...jmcc
    Maybe my sarcasm isn't obvious enough.

This whistleblower has been hmming and hawing over this since 2011, and coincidentally has decided that now is the time to clear his conscience, because...oh look, it's made the national headlines!

It stink to high heavens of dirty tricks tactics rather than a genuine "concerned 3rd party".

This is Boards.ie. It can be hard to tell.
    This whistleblower has been hmming and hawing over this since 2011, and coincidentally has decided that now is the time to clear his conscience, because...oh look, it's made the national headlines!
    Contacted TDs and the Indo. There were apparently two whistleblowers.
    It stink to high heavens of dirty tricks tactics rather than a genuine "concerned 3rd party".
    That's your opinion and one without seeing any of the evidence.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is an element of dirty tricks tactics or personal interest to every whistleblower - there is usually someone they want to get back at - and there is an element of genuine concern about every whistleblower as well.

No whistleblower is 100% motivated by either personal interest or genuine concern, there is a mix of both. Figuring out that balance within each whistleblowing occurence is a difficult task.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

What's a 'tory like critter' ?

Akin to a Tory, which right at the moment means "probably up to something". So what I'm saying there is that I find the timing a little suspicious and am wondering if it's connected to two candidates from that election running again, but after two years of watching the Tories up to shenanigans I may be being paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,306 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The RTE interviewers never posed any hard questions to Higgins but the other candidates did get hard questions and repeatedly so. The health issue would have been brought up immediately if RTE's coverage had been balanced.

Is candidate health ever actually brought up as an issue?
    In elections here (EU and GE) we've had TV debates with blind candidates, paraplegic candidates, candidates with extreme stutters, major facial birthmarks/burns, being treated for cancer etc, and I don't recall RTE ever raising it as something which could affect the candidates ability to do the job if elected, or as something which needed to be explained/defended by them.

So it doesn't seem 'unbalanced' that MDH was also not asked these questions.

Is candidate health ever actually brought up as an issue?
    If a candidate is old and appears to have health issues, then these would be fair questions. The presidency is a seven year job.
    I don't recall RTE ever raising it as something which could affect the candidates ability to do the job if elected, or as something which needed to be explained/defended by them.
    TV3 did highlight Brian Lenihan's terminal illness.
    So it doesn't seem 'unbalanced' that MDH was also not asked these questions.
    There's much more to the balanced coverage problem.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I said it on another thread yesterday, Gallagher was robbed. I don't know if he would be a good or bad president but robbed all the same

Hurrache wrote:

It is in that if its true they could be influencing general elections & referendums. It could be a huge story in the long run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

If a candidate is old and appears to have health issues, then these would be fair questions. The presidency is a seven year job.

Give other examples of RTE highlighting health issues.

Give other examples of RTE highlighting health issues.

Can you give another example of elder candidate with visibility signs of ill health?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Can you give another example of elder candidate with visibility signs of ill health?
    Are you Russian? You can't speak English that's why I am asking.
    David Norris wasn't asked a load of questions about his health was he?

Are you Russian? You can't speak English that's why I am asking. David Norris wasn't asked a load of questions about his health was he?

He wasn't visibly ill. If he was would they have hid it in the same way?

Not Russian but according to ancestry DNA I'm 7 percent Viking :)

Are you Russian? You can't speak English that's why I am asking. David Norris wasn't asked a load of questions about his health was he?

Oh I'm dyslexic and autistic. If my spelling is wrong it ain't my fault.

Higgins was the oldest candidate in 2011. However Erskine Childers died in office of a heart attack. (That was pre-Social Media and with only one TV channel and one radio channel in the country.) If RTE had shown Higgins hobbling around with an injured leg, it would have affected his vote because people would subconsciously compare him to more healthy candidates. That moment of uncertainty is enough to change the outcome of an election. This is why candidates always try to be seen as healthy and active.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You keep bringing up the health issue across different threads. I doubt having a hobbily leg would have made a difference to how most people voted.

Hurrache wrote: »
    You keep bringing up the health issue across different threads. I doubt having a hobbily leg would have made a difference to how most people voted.
    And you are wrong. Most people will never physically meet the candidate for which they vote. This means that they rely upon media coverage. An aged candidate with visible health issues going for seven year job such as the presidency will immediately raise concerns over whether they can or cannot do the job and see out the seven years.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And you are wrong. Most people will never physically meet the candidate for which they vote. This means that they rely upon media coverage. An aged candidate with visible health issues going for seven year job such as the presidency will immediately raise concerns over whether they can or cannot do the job and see out the seven years.

Regards...jmcc

Maybe for you, it wouldnt even enter my mind if i saw someone limping or looking a bit pale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I said it on another thread yesterday, Gallagher was robbed. I don't know if he would be a good or bad president but robbed all the same
    No he wasn't.
    He was asked a question based on a tweet. he could have said that it absolutely was not true. However, he fumbled his way through a response and for many, people, knowing his FF links and that he had asked other people for donations, this was completely plausible.

At that point in 2011 FF were quite toxic. Their links to corrupt antics had sickened most people. For Seanie to be linked to this was damaging. Then to comment how he "had no recollection" of the donation.
    Martin McGuinness also had credible info on Seanie's links to FF which Seanie tried to deny but couldn't.
    The donation of 5k was poorly disputed by Seanie. McGuinness sternly stood up to Sean to the point that Seanie admitted taking the donation.
    Seanie lost the debate and the election completely through his own fault. The tweet was unfortunate but was just the tipping point.

Advertisement