Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quake Champions

Options
  • 03-08-2017 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

I've put a post or two in the Gaming News thread...but it's Quake and deserves its own thread :p

Anyways, was checking my YouTube subscriptions and saw a familiar name in a video from ESL - kRoNic - or should I say, Ireland's own kRoNic. Turns out this old school player, along with Luke_ie, is taking part in the European Qualifiers for the Quake World Championships.

If you were interested in the competitive side of Quake 3 and Quake Live, some of the players involved will be familiar to you.

Otherwise, here's some of Quake Champions in action:

The trailer

You can sign up for the closed beta here

Will be released at some stage this year. And, according to Polygon, there will be a free option and the ability to purchase additional characters.

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

An 8-hour video from the finals. Features both 4v4 and 1v1.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

Watched bits of this over the weekend, loved quake 2, one of my first online multiplayer experiences as a wee lad. Not sure if there is strong demand for that kind of fps-online experience anymore. As soon as I started getting into quake live the community died on its backside. Was such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Started playing again, game is really growing on me.

It's down to €20 until 21. June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Started playing again, game is really growing on me.

It's down to €20 until 21. June.

Its free on Steam till the 17th of June

Its free on Steam till the 17th of June

I meant the Champions Pack; AFAIK the game will remain F2P for good.

• Advertisement

Is there a decent playing community?

Sight808 wrote: »
    Is there a decent playing community?

http://steamcharts.com/app/611500#7d

Biggest it's ever been, peaking at 15'892 :cool:

http://steamcharts.com/app/611500#7d

Biggest it's ever been, peaking at 15'892 :cool:

count me in!

QUAD DAMAGE

Getting better...

TM3T6uX.jpg

Holy crap, the skill gap in this is unreal!

Did my 1v1 Duel ranked matches.
    7 wins, 2 disconnects (PC crashed, probably due to overclock).

Final game I come across someone with 1290 SR, which is a bit under half of the top players'.

He utterly destroyed me.
    My SR is 1120.

...and I just wanna keep playing! :pac:

• Advertisement

Holy crap, the skill gap in this is unreal!

Did my 1v1 Duel ranked matches.
    7 wins, 2 disconnects (PC crashed, probably due to overclock).

Final game I come across someone with 1290 SR, which is a bit under half of the top players'.

He utterly destroyed me.
    My SR is 1120.

...and I just wanna keep playing! :pac:

As soon as I get into my new apartment I'm there

Have it installed and the shortcut on the desktop is kind of intimidating. Watched a few videos online about how to be good at the game but i feel so lazy to actually get in and learn a new thing. Then i just go play Monster Hunter or Darkest Dungeon :pac:

Have it installed and the shortcut on the desktop is kind of intimidating. Watched a few videos online about how to be good at the game but i feel so lazy to actually get in and learn a new thing. Then i just go play Monster Hunter or Darkest Dungeon :pac:

Quickest tips I can give off-hand:
    • Weapon switching with mousewheel is slow - don't do it. Instead, bind weapons individually (I like Q=Rockets, E=Lightning gun, R=Rail gun, T=Tribolt, 1-5 defaults)
    • Right now, Galena & Visor are OP. However, every champion is viable as the most important is your aim skill.
    • Talking of aim, though there is now "best" sensitivity, the most important things are being able to do a comfortable 270, and having mouse acceleration OFF.
    • Team Deathmatch is where it's at for new players :)
    • Control the Mega, control the map!

Quickest tips I can give off-hand:
    • Weapon switching with mousewheel is slow - don't do it. Instead, bind weapons individually (I like Q=Rockets, E=Lightning gun, R=Rail gun, T=Tribolt, 1-5 defaults)
    • Right now, Galena & Visor are OP. However, every champion is viable as the most important is your aim skill.
    • Talking of aim, though there is now "best" sensitivity, the most important things are being able to do a comfortable 270, and having mouse acceleration OFF.
    • Team Deathmatch is where it's at for new players :)
    • Control the Mega, control the map!

Good stuff. In PC gaming i have always been a high sensitivity wrist movement player. It served me well enough in "low skill" FPS games like Battlefield and other non shooter games, but im not sure i can make the transition to full forearm movement.

Definitely gonna jump on later tonight and try with my wrist move style! Until i can't hit a thing with the Railgun and then adapt, or uninstall the game :D

First game, seems i got matched with people who have never played a video game before :pac: Couldn't hit **** with the Beamgun or Machine gun as i couldn't keep a bead on them. Might have to lower that sensitivity abit

ACrxTLQ.png

Meanwhile, I went 0-6 in Ranked duel.
    Maybe I should try it sober next time...

The end of game screen is abit much. Easily 30 to 40 seconds of the winning team just standing there, can't even check scoreboards or stats, they need to address by either letting me skip out and queue for the next match or give me some interactivity.

Also, character skins in an FPS game? You never see your character during the game, seems like a waste of cash. Otherwise loving the game, reminds me of the old days of Unreal Tournament and FPS games of yore!

Agreed; I love the characters & voice lines but I don't think I'll ever spend extra for buying Platinum/skins.
    I just wish the legendary weapons (e.g. Doom shotgun) were buyable with in-game currency like in previous Beta instead of being lootbox drops.

My first game of Insta gib. I just used my special ability and flew around one shotting everyone with my machinegun drone it was so stupid, and the guy in second was using some kind of laser which i assume is Clutch's ability. They really should hotfix not being able to use abilities on this mode.

And i realised yesterday that my very first game in the other screenshot was against all bots :eek: Here i was thinking i was a god in my first game with a 6.5 KDR :pac::pac:

xn6LGV5.png

New mode, Unholy Trinity.

• Advertisement

Someone's recreating this in Doom source.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

20 years. sweet jesus, I'm getting old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

I can hear the sound effects just looking at that picture.

"1 Frag Left"

Advertisement