Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Fry, what's a no-no?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Amazing this concoction, in any of its variants, is still available, let alone celebrated. Its horrendous. A vile assembly of assorted highly unhealthy foods. In a gloupy, sticky, fatty, melange, that really is the nearest thing to a dog's dinner. I wouldnt feed to a dog even.
    Some yoghurt, fresh bread, a piece of fresh fruit, and a café au lait or a cappuccino according to your preference. Leaves the stodge of a fry for dead.
    Really is time to start a health campaign warning people of its dangers, nudging it towards extinction.
    Tomatoes or no tomatoes.

You wouldn't give a dogs dinner to a dog. You're cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

You wouldn't give a dogs dinner to a dog. You're cruel.

He ain't nothing but a hound-dog

Amazing this concoction, in any of its variants, is still available, let alone celebrated. Its horrendous. A vile assembly of assorted highly unhealthy foods. In a gloupy, sticky, fatty, melange, that really is the nearest thing to a dog's dinner. I wouldnt feed to a dog even.
    Some yoghurt, fresh bread, a piece of fresh fruit, and a café au lait or a cappuccino according to your preference. Leaves the stodge of a fry for dead.
    Really is time to start a health campaign warning people of its dangers, nudging it towards extinction.
    Tomatoes or no tomatoes.

You don’t have to eat a fry if you don’t want one. That’s your choice entirely.

Properly rotten thing to deny your dog a sausage or three, the odd bit of a rasher and if it’s lucky a couple of bits of pudding every now and then. You’re probably one of those lunatics that give their dogs dentastix. That’s no kind of life for a dog. You hippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Tomatoes or no tomatoes.

Im sorry that you lost your tastebuds, I hope you get them back soon. Everyone knows it's unhealthy but it's by an absolute mile the best tasting thing you can have for breakfast.. and tomatoes are a no no

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Tomatoes or no tomatoes.

Yeah but your brekkie isn't a fry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

My fry is probably unusual
    ...... hash browns, beans, crispy smoked rashers, fried or scrambled eggs, mushrooms, toast..... all washed down with a cappuccino.

No tomato, sausages or pudding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Beans are the cornerstone of good fry up.

Mushrooms and tomatoes can f*ck off. Beans are savage though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Beans are the cornerstone of good fry up.

Mushrooms and tomatoes can f*ck off. Beans are savage though

By definition Beans are not part of a fry - unless you fry them. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Tomatoes or no tomatoes.

The occasional fry is fine.

If youre having them every day then youre in trouble.

What’s the point of it? It doesn’t taste particularly good, it doesn’t look good, it’s mostly just breadcrumbs with a suggestion of meat. A perplexing foodstuff if ever there was one.
    If you buy a decent one it's delicious. There are no breadcrumbs in them and certainly no meat. Pork blood, pork fat, or sometimes beef suet, and a cereal, preferably oatmeal, and some oat groats plus seasoning is all that's in it.

My grandmother used to make her own whenever the family slaughtered a pig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

What’s the point of it? It doesn’t taste particularly good, it doesn’t look good, it’s mostly just breadcrumbs with a suggestion of meat. A perplexing foodstuff if ever there was one.

You don't seem to even know what black pudding is.

As I said. Can't be trusted..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Chocolate.

Chocolate is the one item that should NEVER be included in a fry.

Because it ruins the perfectly good chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Chocolate.

I'm partial to a bit of chocolate after a fry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Bojill

The "what food do you like " thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    We're really missing out on all the fried breads and boxty type things down here.

I grew up in Mayo and was amazed to learn, at the age of 17, that boxty wasn't eaten in most parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Lard was only mentioned once in the thread which is a shame. It is an integral part of the meal. Proper fried bread is buttered bread fried in lard, and then buttered again. Lots of butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Needs fried bread, swamped in frytex :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Lard was only mentioned once in the thread which is a shame. It is an integral part of the meal. Proper fried bread is buttered bread fried in lard, and then buttered again. Lots of butter.

Snap! Though I like brown bread fried in lard. Had it today :)

Oh, and a dash of salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Malayalam wrote: »
    I stopped eating meat as a young teenager but the only meats I ever liked as a child was black pudding, liver and kidney. What a monster !

black pudding isn't meat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I grew up in Mayo and was amazed to learn, at the age of 17, that boxty wasn't eaten in most parts of the country.

It sounds delicious, should be marketed much more. Can't get any here, must try making it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

Chocolate.

Apparently there's rumours of a sighting of the once discontinued Fry's chocolate orange bar in a pound shop in Wolverhampton (the Poundland shop). Dealz is also Poundland afaik. So if they're nationwide....well let's just say that there'll be a Fry chocolate orgy, my last one circa 2013 at a newsagents in Carlisle.

limnam wrote: »
    You don't seem to even know what black pudding is.

As I said. Can't be trusted..

Crucial issue that could do with a thread of its own. I'm very pro BP and prefer it over the Spanish version.

Could be eaten by vegetarians too if the blood is ethically sourced? Might need fat though.

I took it as read that any reference to fried breads of any variety were rendered to such a state by the use of lard. Only a moron or foreigner would suggest frying bread in anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I took it as read that any reference to fried breads of any variety were rendered to such a state by the use of lard. Only a moron or foreigner would suggest frying bread in anything else.

Dripping. That's lard is it?

Patww79 wrote: »

I think dripping is beef fat, lard is pig's. Could be wrong...

This came up on another thread

http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/proddetail.php?prod=6169

I'm wary of cheaper lads and stuff, they unhealthy stuff to them. Want to the natural types.

Patww79 wrote: »

Yes and No. Lard is Pig fat and Dripping is Beef fat. Make your own by melting down suet from the butchers and skimming off the lard/dripping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yes and No. Lard is Pig fat and Dripping is Beef fat. Make your own by melting down suet from the butchers and skimming off the lard/dripping.

Yeah I like dripping for most stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Chocolate.

Frys Chocolate is nice

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Any gluten free nonsense. Yes it was cool one time to be gluten intolerant and post about it in farsebook but not any more.

Advertisement