Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Fry, what's a no-no?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

No you are incorrect. Show me where the there is an agreed ISO on the contents and preparation method of an Irish Fry Up?
    You're even using American terminology in your "Irish" fry"-up"!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to their sausages ?
    I used to love them :(

Dunnes Newbridge have two varieties of Granby sausages - a premium range and regular. Saw them on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

JayZeus wrote: »

So you can make an American breakfast in Ireland, but it's still an American breakfast as determined by the bulk of its constituent servings, not an Irish Fry 'Up' just because you serve it for breakfast in Ireland.
    I'm thinking of ordering food later from Just-Eat so I'll probably get an Irish. But should I get a a traditional Irish Szechuan or maybe a vindaloo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

I'm thinking of ordering food later from Just-Eat so I'll probably get an Irish. But should I get a a traditional Irish Szechuan or maybe a vindaloo?

Go for a British!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You're basically agreeing with the post you're quoting there. Maybe you meant to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Go for a British!

That would have ro be made in Britain. Go to tesco or M&S and you'll get one of the premade meals there if you want one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Grilled items :D

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

bobmalooka wrote: »
    Lack of boxty appreciation in this thread makes me sad.

Yes!! Wtf is wrong with you people

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

I dunno how the idea of a big, tasteless greasy dish as the first thing to have when you wake up is appealing, I can't be the only one who thinks this (I'm talking about getting the full irish if you're in a hotel or wherever - one made up at home might be different) Do you not feel like crap afterwards? At most I'd have the beans and fried tomato along with a continental breakfast.

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/vegan-fry-up/
    This is more my idea of a fry up, maybe with cannellini or kidney beans cooked with tomato purée separate from the avocado. mmmm

chite wrote: »
    I dunno how the idea of a big, tasteless greasy dish as the first thing to have when you wake up is appealing, I can't be the only one who thinks this (I'm talking about getting the full irish if you're in a hotel or wherever - one made up at home might be different) Do you not feel like crap afterwards? At most I'd have the beans and fried tomato along with a continental breakfast.

This is more my idea of a fry up, maybe with cannellini or kidney beans cooked with tomato purée separate from the avocado. mmmm

‘Vegan fry up’

Who let the morons out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

‘Vegan fry up’

Who let the morons out?

You strike me as a man who is terribly overweight and let's absolutely vile farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

‘Vegan fry up’

Who let the morons out?

Erra I'm not one of those morons if that's what you thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Boxty! Ya can't have a proper fry up without Boxty. Hate getting a fry with two of everything and then one egg. What use is one egg. Miserable feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Black Pudding... urgh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

The sausages on sale in Irish supermarkets are pure shoyte. No taste whatsoever. Even the butcher ones, pure crap. What happened the good old pork sausage?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Black Pudding... urgh

I'd never trust someone who didn't like black pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

chite wrote: »

You're talking chite

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Kidney, sliced and fried with onions and some toast. That's it. Tea is British so **** off with that, a nip of whiskey instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Fcking Farls! ....Nordy bread...none of that rubbish stuff here in the Republic!!

Common in a fry out west (We call them potato cakes). That or boxty. Dubs don't know what they're missing out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

mushrooms are an abomination of a food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Common in a fry out west (We call them potato cakes). That or boxty. Dubs don't know what they're missing out on.

Glad I'm not a dub then!... Still not eating any of the Nordy rubbish :D

Soda farls are completely different to potato cakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Big difference between Farls and Potato Bread. Farls are Soda bread and Potato Bread is make from, well, potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Soda farls are completely different to potato cakes.
    Big difference between Farls and Potato Bread. Farls are Soda bread and Potato Bread is make from, well, potato.

I always assumed the nordies were eating potato cakes. We also eat soda bread with the fry but it doesn't look like what they're eating.

EDIT: Apparently, they eat both.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sausage, rasher, eggs, liver, black and white pudding, a lamb or pork chop, potato bread or soda bread. No mushrooms, tomato or beans and certainly none of that American abomination of hash browns. A few fried onions are permitted.

Who can afford chops now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

limnam wrote: »

I stopped eating meat as a young teenager but the only meats I ever liked as a child was black pudding, liver and kidney. What a monster !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

We're really missing out on all the fried breads and boxty type things down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    We're really missing out on all the fried breads and boxty type things down here.

We need a good fry-day agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

limnam wrote: »

What’s the point of it? It doesn’t taste particularly good, it doesn’t look good, it’s mostly just breadcrumbs with a suggestion of meat. A perplexing foodstuff if ever there was one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Amazing this concoction, in any of its variants, is still available, let alone celebrated. Its horrendous. A vile assembly of assorted highly unhealthy foods. In a gloupy, sticky, fatty, melange, that really is the nearest thing to a dog's dinner. I wouldnt feed to a dog even.
    Some yoghurt, fresh bread, a piece of fresh fruit, and a café au lait or a cappuccino according to your preference. Leaves the stodge of a fry for dead.
    Really is time to start a health campaign warning people of its dangers, nudging it towards extinction.
    Tomatoes or no tomatoes.

Advertisement