Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor driving on the M7 M9 upgrade

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This will of course cause more problems than it solves. A far better solution would have been to reset the limit to 80 except in cases where the level of works ACTUALLY warrant a lower limit.

A better idea would have been average cameras, the one sure way to soften all the big fellas. Can't understand why, are the cameras a million quid each or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Patww79 wrote: »
    A better idea would have been average cameras, the one sure way to soften all the big fellas. Can't understand why, are the cameras a million quid each or something?

Yep, vans aren't going to make a bit of a difference here. People are just going to see them from a mile away and speed up again as soon as they're past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yes Pat, I know you have a issue with "speeders" but as someone who uses that road daily, 60 km/h is far too low when contrasted against the level of works ongoing most of the time and the barriers that are in place.

This latest move will cause panic braking and even more congestion than there already is at peak when the 60 km/h is unachievable anyway.

A far more sensible option would be variable limits.. 80 off-peak, or lower at night say when I've experienced the road being reduced to a single lane.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yes Pat, I know you have a issue with "speeders" but as someone who uses that road daily, 60 km/h is far too low when contrasted against the level of works ongoing most of the time and the barriers that are in place.

This latest move will cause panic braking and even more congestion than there already is at peak when the 60 km/h is unachievable anyway.

A far more sensible option would be variable limits.. 80 off-peak, or lower at night say when I've experienced the road being reduced to a single lane.

Variable yes of course, not a blanket increase to 80 when there's workers lives at stake during the day. Though you say 80 like people would actually stick to that if it was the limit. Not with the mentality in this country.

60 or 80, they need average cameras and not a single van that everyone will know is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Variable yes of course, not a blanket increase to 80 when there's workers lives at stake during the day. Though you say 80 like people would actually stick to that if it was the limit. Not with the mentality in this country.

60 or 80, they need average cameras and not a single van that everyone will know is there.

Can we stop this "workers lives" bullsh1t

In the UK limits for roadworks is 80kmh and increasing to 100kmh on some as its deemed safer.

The protection barriers in place are able to withstand impacts in excess of 120kmh

And there has only been one road death in uk roadworks in the past 5 years and that was an onsite incident.

So let's cut the sensationalist bull. 80kmh would be a more sensible limit considering the safety barriers that are in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

At 60 drivers seem to preger 80+. So the argument that it should be 80 means those who seem to gave issues with road laws will now drive at 100+.

Its not the speed limits that are a problem. Its the mentality of road users, the sense of entitlement, the feeling that they and only they are stressed, in a hurry, excellent drivers whatever that needs to change.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Can we stop this "workers lives" bullsh1t

In the UK limits for roadworks is 80kmh and increasing to 100kmh on some as its deemed safer.

The protection barriers in place are able to withstand impacts in excess of 120kmh

And there has only been one road death in uk roadworks in the past 5 years and that was an onsite incident.

So let's cut the sensationalist bull. 80kmh would be a more sensible limit considering the safety barriers that are in place.

It's about prevention and someones getting home in the evening from their work is worth infinitely more than 4 minutes of your time.

And in the UK the 80 limit is more likely to be adhered to anyway. Here the 60 at least keeps people around 80 or 90. You put it at 80 and then you've people going down through the works near normal motorway speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭howiya

It's about prevention and someones getting home in the evening from their work is worth infinitely more than 4 minutes of your time.

And in the UK the 80 limit is more likely to be adhered to anyway. Here the 60 at least keeps people around 80 or 90. You put it at 80 and then you've people going down through the works near normal motorway speeds.

Can't recall where exactly but on Monday there were workers working on the side of the M50 northbound. I thought it strange that there were no changes to the speed limit after travelling the M7 in both directions over the weekend and seeing the signs about daddy getting home safely etc. Maybe the lads working on the M50 don't have kids.

howiya wrote: »
    Can't recall where exactly but on Monday there were workers working on the side of the M50 northbound. I thought it strange that there were no changes to the speed limit after travelling the M7 in both directions over the weekend and seeing the signs about daddy getting home safely etc. Maybe the lads working on the M50 don't have kids.

So the answer is to unprotect the ones that are currently protected to even things up? That's one of the best 'I want to speed' attitudes I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The real issue here is why aren't workers flat out during long summer days and at weekends?
    If there was an end in sight to the 60km/h zone, folks would find it easier to adhere to. Instead it's endless km of reduced speed zone for which there are more portaloos than people working on.
    I travel the road 4 to 6 times per week and I've yet to see more than 5 people at work on the entire length. Admittedly, not at peak hours but the 60km/h zone stands.
    Incidentally, I set the cruise control to 63 and the whingers can follow or overtake me. I don't care how much they flash and/or beep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

It takes 5 minutes to drive 120kph (10k) from one end of the roadworks to the other assuming no delays

it takes 10 minutes to drive 60kph same distance

5 mins in the difference ..... is that a massive thing for everyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭howiya

So the answer is to unprotect the ones that are currently protected to even things up? That's one of the best 'I want to speed' attitudes I've seen.

Yes because that's what I said :rolleyes:

I just found it strange that the workers on the M50 weren't afforded the same protection.

For the record I don't to speed. As a novice or whatever the N stands for its simply not worth my while getting penalty points so if the sign says 60 I'm sticking to it. As it happens on Sunday with the additional traffic heading for Croke Park I wasn't the only one doing 60 which was welcome. On Saturday heading the opposite direction I was one of the few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I can understand the frustration of 60kph on that stretch of road. When a speed limit is hard to maintain (i.e. you find yourself speeding unconsciously), it tends to be too low. Although saying that, I respect that that limit was chosen for a reason and it should be adhered to.

Is it true that they are using average speed cameras on this stretch of road now? Someone mentioned it in passing to me and was wondering if this is a new introduction. I do see an electronic sign up saying three hundred odd prosecutions for speeding so perhaps this is helping things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Gosafe will be on it from tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

howiya wrote: »

They are working alongside an auxiliary lane (Where traffic is usually slower) and towards the outside of the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

VonLuck wrote: »
    I can understand the frustration of 60kph on that stretch of road. When a speed limit is hard to maintain (i.e. you find yourself speeding unconsciously), it tends to be too low. Although saying that, I respect that that limit was chosen for a reason and it should be adhered to.

Is it true that they are using average speed cameras on this stretch of road now? Someone mentioned it in passing to me and was wondering if this is a new introduction. I do see an electronic sign up saying three hundred odd prosecutions for speeding so perhaps this is helping things.

I drive on that stretch every day, and I haven't heard or seen anything to suggest that 'average cams' are being used.

That's not saying I am right though!

VonLuck wrote: »

That sign is up a long time and they up it by a random three figures every couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I drive on that stretch every day, and I haven't heard or seen anything to suggest that 'average cams' are being used.

That's not saying I am right though!
    I drove it several times a week at approx 80-100 km/h and there were no speeding fines to date

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Were they out this morning then? Things ground to a halt inbound at the Carlow merge, but then picked up again approaching J10. I cut off early to avoid the traffic but didn't see anything myself, though there was an AGS bike cop heading West on the far side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I drove south bound at the weekend (actually not knowing about the road works) :) I kept to just over 60kph not knowing how long it was. It took a long time. I would say 85% of traffic was going much faster than the limit

Northbound I didn't have the patience and I just kept up with the traffic. I'd estimate 95-98% of people were speeding northbound. There was not a single worker on the site though.

What about a variable electronically controlled speed limit. 60kph when workers are actually on the site, and 80kph at all other times? I've seen that in Germany and it seemed to work well.

• Advertisement

Be more in there mind throwing more man power at it there already 9 months behind atm.

Utter chaos on the N/M7 this evening, and ( according to the radio ) all because a tractor had a blow out.

I started queing from the renovated Applegreen back near Rathcoole, and took me ages to come to J10.

However ( this was around 18h30 - 19h00 ) between J9 & J10 I never saw one worker in the middle of the road.

OP says it's already 9 months behind schedule - any wonder when this is the carry-on? A road as critical as this should be working 24/7. Oh of course, there isn't a Ryder Cup upcoming, so no urgency.

Anther thing I wonder is why the hell is the 60kmh enforced when there is nobody working on site?

Some amount of ****heads thinking they are pulling a fast one and doing an up and over at the black ball and blocking up the roundabout is unreal.
    Also the gimps driving down the hardshoulder from kill to johnstown.
    Would love to see a cop there but of course they are nowhere to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Some amount of ****heads thinking they are pulling a fast one and doing an up and over at the black ball and blocking up the roundabout is unreal.

I wouldn't call them dickheads!! They're probably just people trying to find a quicker way home after a long day at work.
    However I do agree with you about the Muppets driving up the hardshoulder.

Sorry, I have to strongly disagree with your ****heads comment. While I also have seen the roundabout grinded to a halt, I also notice lots of impatient 'drivers' ( including trucks ) using the inside lane on approach from the N7 to the roundabout by the Ball _ This is a 'Naas only' lane. And then they come around the roundabout and wonder why they aren't allowed to join the queue onto either The Monread Rd. or the slip back onto the M7. Also those that come off the N7 and come up to the roundabout in the outside lane are doing what they are entitled to - there is no law being broken here nor are there any yellow boxes on that roundabout.

As for the gimps...totally agree. However I have seen Gardaí cars park on the hard shoulders nabbing impatient f***ers. I have also seen an unmarked Hyundai nabbing these gimps too. What I do find very infuriating is these bastards shooting up the hard shoulder with their left indicator on and as they approach the Maxol, they suddenly knock the indicator off and carry on to the Johnstown slip.

Often wondered what kind of mentality is this.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I drove it several times a week at approx 80-100 km/h and there were no speeding fines to date

I notice the 'scoreboards' ( flashing signs informing how many prosecutions have been issued to date ) have also disappeared.

Honestly, these roadworks are nothing short of a bloody joke. Have yet to see a gatso trapping, and at the same time every evening this week as I drive home around 18h00-19h00 have yet to see one person in the centre of the Mway...Any wonder the project is 9 months behind schedule.

Is it 9 months behind, on schedule, or something in between? Everyone seems to have a different number.

Is it 9 months behind, on schedule, or something in between? Everyone seems to have a different number.

True Patww. I am only using the 9 months as it was the first time I did see a specific delayed time. I also have heard various different completion dates, so gave up completely on guessing that.

Whatever, the lack of work ongoing there ( I can only speak on between J9 & J10 as I come off there ) is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Ah sure no doubt the contractors will use the speeding to justify the delays. We couldn't risk lads lives because of constant speeding or some nonsense. Any similar roadworks done in the UK I've been through have average speed cams a dedicated incident response unit typically 50mph speed limit reduced in certain areas and most importantly of all work is carried out at every available hour (nights/weekends)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

some person just threw this at another thread with not a shred of information. Unfortunately some people will believe any and every negative comment they see online.
    True Patww. I am only using the 9 months as it was the first time I did see a specific delayed time. I also have heard various different completion dates, so gave up completely on guessing that.

Whatever, the lack of work ongoing there ( I can only speak on between J9 & J10 as I come off there ) is awful.
    there are different completion dates. Full Completion of all works in their entirely is by early 2020. Initial target is for the three lanes to be completed by March 2019 (on time and confirmed by project manager in broadcast on RTE 4 weeks ago)

Then autumn 2019 new Jct 9a and sallins bypass to open. They say October, but they hope August.

Then all landscaping and clearup to be completed by early 2020.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Ah sure no doubt the contractors will use the speeding to justify the delays. We couldn't risk lads lives because of constant speeding or some nonsense. Any similar roadworks done in the UK I've been through have average speed cams a dedicated incident response unit typically 50mph speed limit reduced in certain areas and most importantly of all work is carried out at every available hour (nights/weekends)

There are no delays. As above, project manager gave a detailed interview on radio and confirmed that no delays and gave timelines of the work completion dates You do have "pub talk" form the usual negative ninnies that want anything and everything to fail because it "Ioreland"

Work on UK main contracts are very rarely done at all hours. Emergency works certainly are, but larger planned projects are never 24/7. Can you find one example of a planned road contract that had 24/7 works. Siac Colas who are doing this project have also completed several UK projects - each and everyone one of them have been on time

So try and avoid believing people who say "someone said" or "a friend of a friend said" or "a worker said".
    No matter what it is about, the M7 or a local business or the family up the road the chances are it total and utter bullsh1t based on nothing but their messed up negative ninnyism

• Advertisement

I notice the 'scoreboards' ( flashing signs informing how many prosecutions have been issued to date ) have also disappeared.

Honestly, these roadworks are nothing short of a bloody joke. Have yet to see a gatso trapping, and at the same time every evening this week as I drive home around 18h00-19h00 have yet to see one person in the centre of the Mway...Any wonder the project is 9 months behind schedule.

They were still there yesterday anyway, both directions. Now displaying 421.

Advertisement