Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Training at one year above (juvenile ladies)

• 06-09-2018 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know the exact rules with training and playing out of your age group. As my daughter is February 09 she's not able to train or play with her classmates who were born in 08 She's too young! . Is it against the rules to play one year above your age group. I know its against the rules to do the opposite, be too old! Can anyone link to the relevant rules. We've moved clubs and i don't have lifts and contacts like we used to so I want her to stay with her classmates as otherwise logistics become very difficult.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Ladies football or camogie?
    Quick look at the LGFA guide there doesn't seem to be any specific rule for clubs, only for intercounty:

337. Underage players can only play in their own age group, and one grade above it, at Inter-County level. (e.g. Under 14 player can play at U 14 and
    U 16, but not U 17 upwards. An Under 15 or 16 player cannot play at
    Junior, Intermediate or Senior level). Over 18 Grade is deemed an Adult
    Grade.
    8. Games in Under 11 and younger shall be organised on the Go Games Model. Go Games are modified where results are not formally recorded,
    and where all participants get to play during the course of the game.
    Teams at Under 6 and 7 shall be a maximum of 7-A-Side. Teams at Under
    8 and 9 shall be a maximum of 9-A-Side. Teams of Under 10 and 11 shall
    be a maximum of 11-A-Side.
    At Under 12 level, competitions may be organised on a league format, on
    the basis that participating teams should be a maximum of 13-A-Side.
    Games should be organised over four quarters, and provision shall be
    made for all members of the team panel to participate in a minimum of
    one quarter

For camogie, this seems to apply to all competitions:
    A player must meet the following age criteria in order to be eligible to participate in competitions:
    U12 Be Under 12 and Over 8
    U14 Be Under 14 and Over 10
    U16 Be Under 16 and Over 12
    U18 Be Under 18 and Over 14
    Adult Be Over 15 except in the case of intercounty
    competitions where a player must
    be over 16

‘Under’ means that a player must be under the age
    limit by midnight on the 31st December of the year
    prior to the Championship year e.g. to play U16 a
    player must be aged 15 years or under on the 31st
    December prior to the Championship year.

‘Over’ means a player must be over the age limit by
    midnight 31st December of the year prior to the
    Championship (e.g. to play under 14 a player must
    be 10 years of age on the 31st December prior to the
    Championship year).

Now someone more familiar with ladies football or camogie (like one of our resident mods) may be able to give you better advice than simply regurgitating the rule book but by the looks of it, there doesn't seem to be any rule stopping her from playing one age group up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Ladies football or camogie?
    Quick look at the LGFA guide there doesn't seem to be any specific rule for clubs, only for intercounty:

For camogie, this seems to apply to all competitions:

Now someone more familiar with ladies football or camogie (like one of our resident mods) may be able to give you better advice than simply regurgitating the rule book but by the looks of it, there doesn't seem to be any rule stopping her from playing one age group up.

They got back to me and I was told club rules say no playing/training outside age group. Can I appeal? Where are the official gaa rules? Its a joint club so girls play football and camogie. We have moved from camogie only. It's make or break. I don't drive, we're new to the area and the under 9s play a 45 minute walk away and the under 10s play a 15 minute walk away.ðŸ™. Bottom line is can I appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Most clubs try to enforce this rule in order to ensure numbers are similar across age groups. I look after u10s , but have 2 X u9s training and playing with my squad of 20 for the same reasons you specified.
    The club did argue with me that they should be playing u9 but the parents said the girls just wouldn't play if they weren't with their friends.
    Talk to the coach of the team you want her to play with , explain the situation . If the club have an issue , talk to the head of the ladies section and say your daughter won't play if not with her friends . I'd be surprised if they'd lose a player over it .
    To answer your original question , no reason she can't play a year above in either football or Camoige

Most clubs try to enforce this rule in order to ensure numbers are similar across age groups. I look after u10s , but have 2 X u9s training and playing with my squad of 20 for the same reasons you specified.
    The club did argue with me that they should be playing u9 but the parents said the girls just wouldn't play if they weren't with their friends.
    Talk to the coach of the team you want her to play with , explain the situation . If the club have an issue , talk to the head of the ladies section and say your daughter won't play if not with her friends . I'd be surprised if they'd lose a player over it .
    To answer your original question , no reason she can't play a year above in either football or Camoige

Thank you. I will appeal. Fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

There is a reason clubs have rules like this in place. Its for the best welfare of all children involved. Those up to the age only have that year of playing that grade. So if a child a year younger plays ahead of them, then that is unfair to the child up to the age. The younger one has another year to play at that grade.

the other factor is the size or expectation of the younger child. They are younger so less developed in most cases and will be up against bigger and stronger players for the most part. So they are far better off playing in their own age group against other children of the same age rather than playing up a grade.

This thread is quite similar to one on here last week. Threats and appeals. Aimed at volunteer coaches of young children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

While I do agree to a certain extent , I have 5 kids from the same class on the team and there's only 2 weeks between one who was born in Dec and the other in Jan. The only reason they're all playing is bacause their friends from school . If I tell Jan girl she can't play football with her friends , she'll leave and never pick up a ball again so an exception was made .

It's more of a fact than a threat to say a child won't play if they can't play with their friends and at the end of the day , it's all about the kids having fun and learning to love the sport and if 1 or 2 here and there end up playing a year above then I don't have an issue with it .
    If a child genuinely isn't able for the older group then fair enough , but playing 1 year up won't make that much difference in my experience

bruschi wrote: »
    There is a reason clubs have rules like this in place. Its for the best welfare of all children involved. Those up to the age only have that year of playing that grade. So if a child a year younger plays ahead of them, then that is unfair to the child up to the age. The younger one has another year to play at that grade.

the other factor is the size or expectation of the younger child. They are younger so less developed in most cases and will be up against bigger and stronger players for the most part. So they are far better off playing in their own age group against other children of the same age rather than playing up a grade.

This thread is quite similar to one on here last week. Threats and appeals. Aimed at volunteer coaches of young children.

bruschi wrote: »

In the case of my child she is at 97th percentile for height for age so she's the tallest in her class. To put her in with 8 year olds when she's nearly 10 and the height of an average 12 year old woukd cause alarm to other parents anyway. Though to be fair in her last club where they played under 8s some of the smallest children were the most intimidating :) She also is transferring clubs as well as schools so only knows her classmates and is a shy child. We missed all. Last year due to being new anyway. Put all that with the fact that I can't get her to the under 9s( no car, no contacts, too far to walk) and its the under 10s or nothing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

While I do agree to a certain extent , I have 5 kids from the same class on the team and there's only 2 weeks between one who was born in Dec and the other in Jan. The only reason they're all playing is bacause their friends from school . If I tell Jan girl she can't play football with her friends , she'll leave and never pick up a ball again so an exception was made .

It's more of a fact than a threat to say a child won't play if they can't play with their friends and at the end of the day , it's all about the kids having fun and learning to love the sport and if 1 or 2 here and there end up playing a year above then I don't have an issue with it .
    If a child genuinely isn't able for the older group then fair enough , but playing 1 year up won't make that much difference in my experience

I get that too and for the most part that is fine, odd exceptions here and there. But see what happened in the previous tread on here when an odd exception was let play up to the next age and one child wasnt.

But coming at this about wanting to know official rules and guidelines and making threats and appeals. These things are easily sorted by a quick discussion with the mentors involved and explaining the situation without needing to quote rules and requesting appeals. Like in the last thread here, parents these days go for nuclear options first and dont consider other factors involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Grawns wrote: »
    In the case of my child she is at 97th percentile for height for age so she's the tallest in her class. To put her in with 8 year olds when she's nearly 10 and the height of an average 12 year old woukd cause alarm to other parents anyway. Though to be fair in her last club where they played under 8s some of the smallest children were the most intimidating :) She also is transferring clubs as well as schools so only knows her classmates and is a shy child. We missed all. Last year due to being new anyway. Put all that with the fact that I can't get her to the under 9s( no car, no contacts, too far to walk) and its the under 10s or nothing.

Whatever about her height and your own opinions on who she should be playing with, avoid all talk of an 'appeal'. Nobody is trying to screw you over, just talk to them.

elefant wrote: »
    Whatever about her height and your own opinions on who she should be playing with, avoid all talk of an 'appeal'. Nobody is trying to screw you over, just talk to them.

Good idea. I know they're not it's just emotional language cause we don't want her to drop out. The club have been nice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement