Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MOC

Options
  • 03-09-2018 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

..GONE....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭determinations

They were embarrassed by Exeter at the weekend, shattered at half time and only got into the Exeter 22 once. For a backs coach, his teams have never shown much inventiveness.

Apparently, he missed the first two weeks of preseason. Damming if true. Geordan Murphy to take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Utter spoofer. Where does he go from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Hands off Lancaster and Farrell. Wouldn't say he was a spoofer but played very conservative rugby. He didn't bring the young lads through in Leinster at all in his time. I remember hearing a story about how he want ed the ball to be passed to the torso cos it was safer whereas I'd always say you'd have the ball in front to make the player come onto it at speed. Kinda summed him up for me. Safe dull conservative.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Eddie O'Sullivan is only up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

OldRio wrote: »
    Utter spoofer. Where does he go from here?

I doubt anyone gives tuppence. This is about the medium term fortunes of a massive club now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Geordan saw out the season in the big chair at least. He's Tigers to his core, has his finger on the pulse and probably has the connections to get a few big names involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I doubt anyone gives tuppence. This is about the medium term fortunes of a massive club now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Geordan saw out the season in the big chair at least. He's Tigers to his core, has his finger on the pulse and probably has the connections to get a few big names involved.

Mike Ford seemed to be as good a Bath coach as anyone else and Mike Catt must surely be nearing his chance at head coach-dom.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Larbre34 wrote: »

He's extremely popular with the fans as well. Nothing but praise and support for him when it was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

"We believe the time is right to make this change," chairman Peter Tom told the club website, at what is the worst time imaginable to make a change.

Must have been a row behind the scenes, you don't give a coach a preseason then sack him after a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

EoS is just a flight away.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    EoS is just a flight away.

Ha! very good, said like a true Connemara man!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

On the Eggchasers podcast, they said in an interview after the Exeter game he admitted the forwards were short of fitness and would have needed an additional 40,60,80 minutes game time pre-season to be up to speed. Pretty damning if true.

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/rugby/the-left-wing/i-just-dont-see-a-future-for-me-in-leinster-ulster-star-john-cooney-rules-out-a-return-to-his-home-province-37284826.html?__twitter_impression=true

Cooney said this,
    Cooney also admitted that he uses the setbacks he has had in his career to motivate himself today, adding that he was disappointed that former Leinster boss Matt O'Connor was sacked as Leicester head coach before Ulster had a chance to play them in this season's Champions Cup. Cooney left Leinster after O'Connor's first season in charge, and would have enjoyed the opportunity of showing him what he missed out on.

"It's something that motivates me every day and I openly do like to say that I have one [a chip on his shoulder]," he said.

"I try to use the benefits and the positives of it. We were meant to have Leicester in the Champions Cup but sadly Matt O'Connor isn't the coach anymore. I was looking forward to playing them because he was the coach of Leinster so it is something that definitely motivates me."

Sounds like Cooney really disliked MOC anyway!

errlloyd wrote: »

That's an interesting quote. The opening commentary potentially makes it sound worse than it is, but still he is grinding his axe there quite publicly.

For some reason that reminds me of how Heaslip often comes across when talking about Eddie.

That's an interesting quote. The opening commentary potentially makes it sound worse than it is, but still he is grinding his axe there quite publicly.

For some reason that reminds me of how Heaslip often comes across when talking about Eddie.

Now that you mention it, they're very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That was from The Left Wing. I listened to it this morning on the way into work. It wasn't really that bad what he was saying. He went on to say he enjoys playing against Leinster and Connacht too, even though he is still very fond of both clubs. He was just saying that he likes playing against old friends/teammates/coaches.

In terms of the chip, he also went on to say that it's something he uses to motivate himself to prove that he can do the job. There was't anything hugely shocking in it. He did mention that during MOCs time the young lads did feel they struggled more than they felt they should have, which just echoes what Leavy has said in the past. He also said he wouldn't ever see a future for himself at Leinster and wants to stay put at Ulster. That's about as bad as it got really.

molloyjh wrote: »
    That was from The Left Wing. I listened to it this morning on the way into work. It wasn't really that bad what he was saying. He went on to say he enjoys playing against Leinster and Connacht too, even though he is still very fond of both clubs. He was just saying that he likes playing against old friends/teammates/coaches.

In terms of the chip, he also went on to say that it's something he uses to motivate himself to prove that he can do the job. There was't anything hugely shocking in it. He did mention that during MOCs time the young lads did feel they struggled more than they felt they should have, which just echoes what Leavy has said in the past. He also said he wouldn't ever see a future for himself at Leinster and wants to stay put at Ulster. That's about as bad as it got really.

Yeah it's not bad and certainly doesn't sound like there is any vitriol. However it absolutely reaffirms the narrative around the academy and whilst perhaps the talent levels aren't where they are now, it's not a good thing if academy players can't see their pro careers getting off the ground.

In comparison to Cullen's first year, I think it's fair to say that whilst our performances were worse - the academy was elevated and properly engaged with and the fruits of that have subsequently become apparent.

Going from the academy players feeling they were not in the running to hearing Ross Byrne last Friday saying 'there is no second string, this is the Leinster team' is a stark contrast and a welcome change.

MOC's prospects are going to be quite limited going forward. Plenty of coaches are sacked and then go onto good and even great things. But the nature of his dismissal will make future employers extremely wary. I hope he get's some very good advice and finds a positive avenue back into the game in some way, shape or form.

He also said he wouldn't ever see a future for himself at Leinster and wants to stay put at Ulster. That's about as bad as it got really.

I respect him a lot. On this, I think we got the same Loyalty from the Cronins, Ross's and Reddan's of our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Cooney was 23 when MOC joined. He wasn't​ an academy player. He just wasn't rated particularly highly. That wasn't just MOC, Joe was of the same opinion. Boards.ie certainly thought it was only a matter of time before McGrath left him for dust. MOC just did something about it.

So Cooney wanted to stick it to MOC. Fair enough. The reality is that if he'd stuck around at Leinster as third/fourth choice, he might not have progressed and he might not be first choice at Ulster and he wouldn't be in the mix for the national team.

Hindsight is great lads. Plenty of sticks to beat MOC with, this isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Cooney was 23 when MOC joined. He wasn't​ an academy player. He just wasn't rated particularly highly. That wasn't just MOC, Joe was of the same opinion. Boards.ie certainly thought it was only a matter of time before McGrath left him for dust. MOC just did something about it.

So Cooney wanted to stick it to MOC. Fair enough. The reality is that if he'd stuck around at Leinster as third/fourth choice, he might not have progressed and he might not be first choice at Ulster and he wouldn't be in the mix for the national team.

Hindsight is great lads. Plenty of sticks to beat MOC with, this isn't one.

It's worth pointing out that in Joes last season he capped Cooney 16 times. Joe didn't rate him the previous season, bringing in Cillian Wilis to cover 9 for the RWC period because Cooney wasn't ready. But as 2011-12 went on Cooney clearly improved and was getting game time. I'm not sure that we can claim that Joe didn't rate him.

It's worth pointing out that in Joes last season he capped Cooney 16 times. Joe didn't rate him the previous season, bringing in Cillian Wilis to cover 9 for the RWC period because Cooney wasn't ready. But as 2011-12 went on Cooney clearly improved and was getting game time. I'm not sure that we can claim that Joe didn't rate him.

Played in the 2012 final against Ulster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Played in the 2012 final against Ulster!

I think you'll find that Ulster only ever played in 1 final in 99.

*selective memory in use*

Advertisement