Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stallions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Intello gets his first Gp1 winner with Intellogent taking the Prix Jean Prat. It's a bit of surprise that it's a miler that's been his first Gp1 winner because he's got a lot of very decent 12f prospects who have been threatening to improve into big race winners with some time to mature.

It's been an interesting few weeks for stallions.

Lately Dubawi seems to be getting more precocious 2yo types that could net him a first sires championship if some of them were to go and dominate the following year's classics. It must be the better quality mares he's been getting since his stud fee went through the roof.

Coolmore have finally got the message that War Front is likely a better sire of sprinters than milers. That's going to provide a goldmine of new sprint sires for them.

Frankel has moved from the hype stage of his stallion career to a new stage where he now has nothing to prove to convince people that he's the real deal as a stallion. Also trainers seem to have cottoned on to the fact that the Frankels need to be brought on steadily rather than being shoved into the spotlight as 2yos.

Mastercraftsman has shown enough at this stage to prove that he's going to be just as good as any of the top stallions when a mare is sent his way.

Camelot and Intello join an ever growing list of young middle-distance producing sires who can be expected to get group 1 performers year in year out.

The old man Galileo is having a quiet enough year by his standards ( just 3 individual Gp1 winners so far this year ) as the chasing pack thickens up with better quality middle-distance stallions than had been chasing him previously. Despite his being relatively quiet he's got an army of up and coming youngsters that will be given more time to a mature now that Coolmore are represented in the top 2yo races by more precocious stallions like War Front and Scat Daddy ( plus whatever new source of precociousness they use to replace the now deceased Scat Daddy ) .

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭antietam

What is the return to investment with the very high quality mares Frankel has got.He has the record of the most 2yr olds with blinkers fto.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Inion An Ri

4 G1 winners and 21 stakes winners for Galileo in 2018 to date.

4 G1 winners and 21 stakes winners for Galileo in 2018 to date.

Oops, I forgot about Waldgeist ( Rhododendron, Forever Together, Kew Gardens.

4 looks respectable for this time of year. I'm disappointed in Hydrangea so far ( have hopes of her up to Arc winning standard as a 4yo ) but hopefully a run over 12f could see her bounce back to her old self.

• Advertisement

antietam wrote: »
    What is the return to investment with the very high quality mares Frankel has got.He has the record of the most 2yr olds with blinkers fto.

For a covering fee of £125,000 ( £175,000 this year ) they have sold at public auction for an average of £581,902. He's been a marketing dream and he still seems to be firing in bucketloads of winners.

Not my cup of tea, I'd rather Mastercraftsman.

Frankel's Southern Hemisphere fee for 2018 is £80K. It was £100K in 2015 before he even had runners, not sure what it was in 2016 and 2017, but probably increased as it did in NH. He's had a number of SH runners but relatively little success.

tryfix wrote: »
    For a covering fee of £125,000 ( £175,000 this year ) they have sold at public auction for an average of £581,902. He's been a marketing dream and he still seems to be firing in bucketloads of winners.

Not my cup of tea, I'd rather Mastercraftsman.

Based on a very top trainer in Ireland"I hate them full of ****e profile and the worst horses with to work with young horses,I hate them with a vengeance"

Frankel's Southern Hemisphere fee for 2018 is £80K. It was £100K in 2015 before he even had runners, not sure what it was in 2016 and 2017, but probably increased as it did in NH. He's had a number of SH runners but relatively little success.
    Was at Newmarket 3 years ago and the most incorrect colt made 355k and he never ran.

Ruler Of the World gets off the mark with his 4th runner Iridessa a 20/1 shot who on her debut today ran all over the Chesham Stakes 5th Cardini in the opener at Killarney.

Ruler Of The World is standing at just €8,000, it's a shocking indictment of the obsession with speed and precocity that a Derby winning son of Galileo ( a sire of sires ) who's a half brother to the legendary Duke Of Marmalade ( who is a smashing sire as well ) had his stallion career practically written off before he got a chance with the kind of mares that a well bred Derby winner should be getting. I really hope that Ruler Of The World gets to climb up the fee ladder so that he doesn't end up exported or shuffled off to the NH stallion ranks.

• Advertisement

Scat Daddy had 3 runners so far today and 3 winners including the Gp3 winner Skitter Scatter trained by P J Prendergast.

It's simply amazing that a top American Stallion in his last crop has so many very expensive European runners spread across many different trainers, big and small trainers at that. It's like this last crop is gold dust and it's mainly the Europeans that had the funds to buy them.

Surely there's just no hope of finding another stallion that can replace his astonishing success at the top level of 2yo racing?

And off a stud fee of just $35,000. No wonder Coolmore are going to such lengths to replace him. Confirmed now that they have bought Justify (though can't be announced as finalised until September so the current owners can take advantage of laws on capital gains). He has been retired, so the way is clear for Mendelssohn to target the BC Classic. His last run was on the face of it very disappointing, but maybe not so much with the way Ballydoyle's horses have been needing several runs this year, not to mention the bug which may have been affecting their horses for a few weeks. And No Nay Never is off to a good start, possibly as good a start as Scat Daddy himself. He's producing similarly big strong types with a lot of speed.

And off a stud fee of just $35,000. No wonder Coolmore are going to such lengths to replace him. Confirmed now that they have bought Justify (though can't be announced as finalised until September so the current owners can take advantage of laws on capital gains). He has been retired, so the way is clear for Mendelssohn to target the BC Classic. His last run was on the face of it very disappointing, but maybe not so much with the way Ballydoyle's horses have been needing several runs this year, not to mention the bug which may have been affecting their horses for a few weeks. And No Nay Never is off to a good start, possibly as good a start as Scat Daddy himself. He's producing similarly big strong types with a lot of speed.

He is a huge loss, if he had gone on for another 10 years then he'd have been a real breed shaping stallion in the mode of Danzig.

Mendelssohn is beautifully bred, but on the dam side and in his own racing history he's not the type to be getting the bucketloads of Ascot type juveniles that his sire produced. I'm not too clued up on Justify's dam side but he too seems like a sire that would produce stock that might be best at 7f+ as 2yos rather than the 5 and 6f types that made Scat Daddy in Europe. Maybe Scat Daddy would have morphed into a more middle-distance type producer as seen with Justify in the same way that Danehill went from producing mainly speedsters onto producing Classic winning horses as the quality of mare he was getting was upped.

After a great start No Nay Never hit a wall at Ascot. I'm not quite sure what to make of his stock, to my eyes there are physically like duplicates of himself, beautiful athletic animals that float over the ground but they haven't reached his heights yet, maybe they need time or a bit of cut in the ground.

I'd think myself that Caravaggio is the great hope to come somewhere near replicating Scat Daddy on this side of the Atlantic. He was a powerful precocious block of a speed horse as a runner which is what is needed to produce a conveyor belt of juveniles with the pace for the 5-6f juvenile races.

No Nay Never will give them hope of better things to come from the likes of Caravaggio. NNN had another good winner today.

No Nay Never will give them hope of better things to come from the likes of Caravaggio. NNN had another good winner today.

U000015327186541.jpg

https://www.irishracing.com/photo_jpeg/U000015327186541.jpg

Over 7f, which gives cause to believe that he will get stock who will be more than just sprinters and that they'll train on. They really are fine specimens.

Beyond Reason gives Australia a timely boost today with a 7f Gp3 win on Good-Soft going at Deauville. Australia has appeared to have been struggling a bit after a fine start with the O'Brien Australia 2yos doing very little on their debuts, but that's just the slow starting way that O'Brien introduces his 2yos to racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Another one - Coolmore has sent a pile of good mares to Dubawi. Article also says Godolphin has sent mares to Galileo

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/bloodstock-latest/stellar-coolmore-mares-sent-to-godolphin-golden-boy-dubawi-in-2018/340757

Winner of the fillies maiden at Galway today.

Lure Of The Sea (IRE) 3, b f 9-0 (Calumet Farm)
    (2:45.15 3.76 secs faster on today's going ) (Drawn 7)
    Sea The Stars (IRE) - Seducing (IRE)(Galileo (IRE))
    Breeder - Calumet Farm LLC

I have seen a few of this particular inbreeding nick over the last few years and it seems to work out okay. Blame Jim Bolger, 'twas him that started that cross IIRC.

It was a good weekend for Galileo, it has seen the O'Brien team's return to form helping him to a dual 1,2,3 in group races at the Curragh.

It was a case of seconditis for Frankel with 3 second places in the weeks staying races. It was encouraging to see the 4yo Count Octave showing improvement to register a career high rpr of 113 in the Yorkshire Cup after a run of slightly disappointing races.

Holy Roman Emperor had his 13th individual group/grade 1 winner when Glorious Empire won the Sword Dancer stakes at Saratoga. A fine record for a horse that stands at €15,000.

Scat Daddy continues his unbelievable season with Skitter Scatter thrashing the O'Brien legions in the Gp2 Debutante Stakes and his Mendelssohn running a fine race in second in a very strong Travers Stakes at Saratoga. It's a real pity he's dead because there were indications that he was going to start producing some quality 8-10f older horses as well as his usual bounty of juvenile sprinters.

• Advertisement

As usual there were lots of blue bloods on show today at even a modest Curragh meet.

One in particular stands out as an example of the incredible speed influence that War Front is when he's crossed with the Coolmore broodband.

After the example of 3yo 6f Gp1 winner US Navy Flag ( War Front x Misty For Me ( Galileo ) and his full sister Roly Poly who both managed Group 1 wins at 2 over 6f. This evening at the Curragh Lost Treasure ( War Front x Wading ( Montjeu ) ) was a fine winner of a 5f 3yo maiden despite being out of a Montjeu dam who is herself a full sister to Irish Oaks winner Bracelet. It's one thing to overcome Galileo's staying influence but it's on another level to be able to overcome the very stout stamina influence that Montjeu is in a pedigree. It may also end up being a thing that the War Front colts will show slightly more speed than their sisters.

I don't know whether Coolmore have stumbled across this match that can speed their middle-distance bloodlines up to sprint level while they were seeking to produce milers or whether the pedigree boffs there knew this speed would come out even in their middle-distance broodmares, but to my mind this sprint speed is something to bear in mind when looking at these War Fronts that Ballydoyle is saturated with.

Also in the race before Lost Treasure's there was a Ballydoyle win for Sir Eric who is a Camelot colt out of a Galileo mare which is a cross that could become quite fashionable as Camelot benefits from more attention now that he's proven himself capable of producing Group 1 winners.

Lost Treasure's half sister the 2yo Just Wonderful ( Dansili X Wading ) kind of proves the speed point about War Front by being a 1m Gp3 winner today as a juvenile while her War Front half brother is winning 5f races as a 3yo.

No Nay Never seems to have at least one very good colt in his first batch of two year olds

NNN has 19 winners to date, including 4 stakes winners, from 40 runners (he has just 89 2yos).
    Scat Daddy had 29 winners from 64 runners, including 5 SWrs, in his first season, so NNN is on course to at least match that.

Fanny **** wrote: »
    No Nay Never seems to have at least one very good colt in his first batch of two year olds

I'm an awful dope, never made this connection at all

https://twitter.com/BuckleyKevin/status/1035932926536544257?s=19

NNN has 19 winners to date, including 4 stakes winners, from 40 runners (he has just 89 2yos).
    Scat Daddy had 29 winners from 64 runners, including 5 SWrs, in his first season, so NNN is on course to at least match that.

He's doing very nicely. On numbers of winners alone that's a great start.

Considering his precious stock I'm a little confused looking at his runners, as they're mostly long and lightly enough built for sprinters ( unlike Ten Sovereigns who's a strong deep bodied block of a horse something like Caravaggio ) which suggests that they will improve as 3yos.

Out of his 15 UK and Ireland winners 4 of them have been at 7f plus.

Australia is getting going with a double today, including a 1-2 in a 1m maiden today at the Curragh. Although he can get 6f winners it's beginning to look like he's going to be a stamina influence similar to his father Galileo. If he can bang in a Group 1 winner or two from his first crop then Coolmore will latch onto him and try hard to make him the next Galileo. The Racing Post Trophy seems like the kind of Gp1 challenge that would suit his 2yos.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/dansili-filly-just-wonderful-lives-up-to-her-name-at-the-curragh/344528

According to this RP article Wading (dam of Just Wonderful & Lost Treasure) has a Camelot colt foal. Is this correct? Camelot & Wading are both by Montjeu

Wading has a War Front yearling colt and an American Pharoah colt foal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Ya I'd imagine that the last line you mention is refferring to Cherry Hinton and not wading having a Camelot colt foal.

Worded quite badly in the piece.

• Advertisement

Cherry Hinton has an American Pharoah filly foal.

Advertisement